The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2016, 01:19 AM   #1
cfan10

Cool look before you leap

Going to look at a 97 chevy suburban in morning, no leaks owner says that ac works and transmission is still under warranty. Says it runs strong. Will know tomorrow but what are some of the things I should look at and check out?
Known issues with this year?

All advice is greatly appreciated.

Oil
Trans fluid
Wipers
Steering
Rest In Peace:Mikhail {Mickey Rooney} Alpha 2/5/13 Omega 7/22/14 10:28AM I love you tremendously and outragiously Superpuppi Thai Ridgeback...The most intelligent dog known to me.
Don't mess with my truck, my momma or my money...not necessarily in that order. ©
Stand for something or fall for anything.
[LIST][*]'98 Bourbon St. Brawl ©2010
cfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:04 AM   #2
Nick_R_23

Re: look before you leap

Those trucks tend to wear steering parts out first - check the pitman and idler arms, steering box, and tie rod ends for play, and look for odd wear on tire tread. Check on that transmission warranty as sometimes warranties do not transfer over to a new owner. As always, check oil, coolant, transmission, and power steering levels, and the air filter for cleanliness. Check for leaks and wet spots underneath if possible, especially at front and rear main seal areas. Check U-joints for play and front and rear axle or diff seals, and CV boots for any signs of leaks, and inspect rotors and pads as best as possible for excessive wear. Request that the engine be cold and not ran when you go to look at it - many times noises will show up cold and not warm, and you can also check oil pressure difference between cold and warmed up. Make sure it drives straight down the road and doesn't pull or have too much or too little pedal travel while braking. That's a pretty good inspection for most any vehicle too.
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:30 AM   #3
Jake Wade

Leaking intake gaskets
Jake Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:13 AM   #4
Eyegore
What Hump?

I have a 99 c1500, best vehicle I have ever owned hands down, it now has 246K miles with the original 5.7, only thing done to it was the plugs were replaces at 100K.
Fuel pumps have been the only issue, one replaced under warranty, the other by myself.

Replaced the water pump at 175K, and trans rebuilt at 220K.
Look for leaks behind the balancer, others I have heard had issues with the rear axel. Also check radiator
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:31 PM   #5
Alex V.

4L60E trans. isn't known to be too stout in stock form. My dad has a '97 C1500 Suburban with 415,000 mi. on the untouched Vortec 350. One water pump, two fuel pumps, one transmission, a distributor, and a few other small things. No suspension work (though it needs it) and would get a solid 20 MPG on long trips. I'd buy a straight, solid, low mileage one in a heartbeat.

1985 GMC C3500 SRW, Sierra Classic, 454/TH400, white/blue.
Alex V. is offline   Reply With Quote