The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2016, 08:27 PM   #1
Aruba1

Bench seat upholstery

Ok, so normally people asks "what is the best seat upholstery available". I am not looking for the best, but for the best bang for the buck. My truck is not concourse but it's build to tow. So with in mind, where can I get a decent used bench upholestery? I see there is an acme cover for $185 from rockauto? Are these decent?

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/c...lstery,1001572
Aruba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:13 PM   #2
firedemon

Re: Bench seat upholstery

see grumpy old man on here he is doing interiors at reasonable prices hes done door panels for me came out nice
firedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:29 PM   #3
saxart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aruba1 View Post
Ok, so normally people asks "what is the best seat upholstery available". I am not looking for the best, but for the best bang for the buck. My truck is not concourse but it's build to tow. So with in mind, where can I get a decent used bench upholestery? I see there is an acme cover for $185 from rockauto? Are these decent?

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/c...lstery,1001572
Here's some food for thought...

Most modern vehicle interiors are made using high quality materials and construction techniques. If you think about it, when was the last time you saw a 20-year-old vehicle (1996) with a torn up interior? It typically doesn't happen, and we tend to take it for granted.

Here's my point... While we are all attracted to the "cheapest" prices we can find on all of the parts we put in our truck, I really don't see any of these bargain options being a smart buy. You might get a year or so out of them, but after that you're living on borrowed time. You're better off spending a few extra dollars on this piece and getting a quality seat cover from one of the forum retailers.

Case in point, I'm in the middle of a budget-build myself. I first ordered a cheap seatcover from one of they typical vendors, but then thought about it and canceled the order, instead ordering from a forum vendor who makes his own covers and has been talked about many times on this board in positive manner.

In my opinion, this is an area where "best cost is cheapest cost".
saxart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:43 AM   #4
prodjay10

I believe acme has been around for quite some time. I'm sure they are fine. If you do end up getting the seat cover from acme, let us know how it works out.
prodjay10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:57 AM   #5
Grumpy old man

Whatever you decide to buy make sure your comparing Apple's to Apple's . The cheap seats are just that , Cheap . The original design of these seat covers only had foam sewn into the pleated section and the rest of the cover had no sewn in foam ,that being said the vinyls used 50 years ago were much better quality than any Taiwan made seat cover today . The closest vinyl gauge made today would be naugahyde invented in 1920 and still produced today . It's expensive ! The "Nauga" is an ugly little animal conceived about 1965 and it takes a lot of little "Nauga's" to make a Hyde !

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:45 AM   #6
Aruba1

Grumpy, can you PM me a the price for a basic bench seat upholstery cover shipped to 35133?

I understand what you guys are saying but not everyone is the same and not everyone think the same. Lately I noticed a trend where everyone wants the best of the best. You can be a on a Porsche forum, or a Military truck forum, antique tractor forum, or maybe on a wheel barrow forum or a 1st generation Honda civic forum. I will put tires as an example. If someone is looking to purchase tires they seek for the best of the best tires. In my case I have too many toys and if I was seeking the best out there I wouldn't be able to afford them. Someone the other day asked me how many vehicles, semi trucks and tractors I have. It took me a while to count them and a few days later I realized a missed 1 vehicle and 1 semi. I don't want to compare ACME with some high quality upholstery but I want something reasonable for my "tow" truck as I got tired of my $30 walmart seat covers, lol.
Aruba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:00 AM   #7
GR8-68

I figured out cheap is good for the present time but as it wears out in less than half the time as a good quality I actually just screwed myself in the long run. Certain things are just better off buying quality. I bought new covers for a camaro I restored one time, let me tell you it was a nightmare they fit worse than a 10.00 set of seat covers from K-mart

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:49 AM   #8
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aruba1 View Post
Grumpy, can you PM me a the price for a basic bench seat upholstery cover shipped to 35133?

I understand what you guys are saying but not everyone is the same and not everyone think the same. Lately I noticed a trend where everyone wants the best of the best. You can be a on a Porsche forum, or a Military truck forum, antique tractor forum, or maybe on a wheel barrow forum or a 1st generation Honda civic forum. I will put tires as an example. If someone is looking to purchase tires they seek for the best of the best tires. In my case I have too many toys and if I was seeking the best out there I wouldn't be able to afford them. Someone the other day asked me how many vehicles, semi trucks and tractors I have. It took me a while to count them and a few days later I realized a missed 1 vehicle and 1 semi. I don't want to compare ACME with some high quality upholstery but I want something reasonable for my "tow" truck as I got tired of my $30 walmart seat covers, lol.
Pm sent .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote