The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2016, 10:51 PM   #1
Mike's Classic '65

283 SBC Rebuild Ideas

I am in the process of rebuilding the original 283 out of my '65. It is currently tore down to the block for a good clean up. My stepfather had the engine rebuilt about 15 years ago and only drove it a hand full of times before it was parked. It is currently bored .060. I really don't see a need to send it to a machine shop other than to have it dipped.

My question is this, how should I put it back together? I'm not wanting to pull the gates off of hell or run 12's at the strip. Definately NOT expecting to get 350HP out of it. Just looking for a sweet cruiser that has a nice, mean sound to it.

Honestly, I have no clue on what pieces need to go together to achieve this. Any suggestions?

"Gotta work on the nut behind the wheel before you start fixing bolts on the car"– Author Unknown

My 1965 Chevy C10 LWB build thread
Mike's Classic '65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:39 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: 283 SBC Rebuild Ideas

There is at least one other current thread on building a 283. The info you are looking for can be found there.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:15 AM   #3
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

He is the thread Capn was referring to:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=711810
DPowers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:01 AM   #4
Mike's Classic '65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
There is at least one other current thread on building a 283. The info you are looking for can be found there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPowers View Post
He is the thread Capn was referring to:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=711810
Thank you both!

I read through that thread and many others last night before making my post. Honestly, it didn't make a whole lot of sense to me and kind of put my head into a tail-spin. Also, most of the other 283 threads were folks wanting to remain totally stock or go to the other end of the spectrum and build a non-realistic flame throwing unstreatable engine.

I will take one thing away from the thread the Captain mentioned, and give the folks at Summit or Speedway a call. Hopefully they can give me a list of parts to purchase for my ol' girl.

Thanks again, fellas!

"Gotta work on the nut behind the wheel before you start fixing bolts on the car"– Author Unknown

My 1965 Chevy C10 LWB build thread
Mike's Classic '65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:11 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

he build being discussed in that other thread I mentioned, is not stock nor is it radical. It would be a very streetable 283. I just questioned the suggestion of cam as the OP said he may tow with his truck. The 283's don't make much torque to begin with, so you need a cam that will produce good low to mid range torque in a small cubic inch small block. A cam specified as such for a 350 will not perform the same in a smaller engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike's Classic '65 View Post
Thank you both!

I read through that thread and many others last night before making my post. Honestly, it didn't make a whole lot of sense to me and kind of put my head into a tail-spin. Also, most of the other 283 threads were folks wanting to remain totally stock or go to the other end of the spectrum and build a non-realistic flame throwing unstreatable engine.

I will take one thing away from the thread the Captain mentioned, and give the folks at Summit or Speedway a call. Hopefully they can give me a list of parts to purchase for my ol' girl.

Thanks again, fellas!
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:37 PM   #6
andyh1956

Go back & read the recipe I posted. Guaranteed goooood Runner!
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:06 AM   #7
Softpatch

The 283 is a sweet "little" small block and is not a 350
That being said put a 1500-3500 (RV) cam and drive it..
just know at 4500 you out of pony's
1966 C-20 .....Swap 91 G-30(5.7 FI)/4L80E
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=789617
59 Viking Revival .. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632341
Softpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:04 PM   #8
scootermcrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
he build being discussed in that other thread I mentioned, is not stock nor is it radical. It would be a very streetable 283. I just questioned the suggestion of cam as the OP said he may tow with his truck. The 283's don't make much torque to begin with, so you need a cam that will produce good low to mid range torque in a small cubic inch small block. A cam specified as such for a 350 will not perform the same in a smaller engine.
What Cpt. said. In that thread I'm looking for a streetable and dependable recipe that will have the ability to occasionally pull a small car on a trailer or simply be able to pull a small trailer with a load of "whatever".

The other thing that I was looking for was "era correctness" since the truck is going to have a certain vibe to it. So visual details will be important in my case.

I think the specifics that I'm digging for in my thread apply to the same questions you're asking, but your cam selection will be different. Give Summit or Comp Cams a call and they will point you in the right direction for those specifics, if you don't find what you're looking for. Summit had a recipe for me within 10 minutes of discussing the details of my build with them.