The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2016, 01:42 PM   #1
chevycheetah

Question Transmission advice

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Goodwrenc...id=p5731.m3795

I'm looking into buying a new engine for my truck within the coming months... what I have now was a crate motor that some young hillbilly just ruined by driving It wayyyyyy too hard. It's salvageable but I'd rather get a new one and clean up the old one and use it on another project later, (maybe 383?)...
It's a one piece seal engine that is run to a 700r4. My question is, can a one piece and two piece seal tranny/ engine combo work? If not can adapters be used to make it work and/ or would I be smarter just to locate a new transmission? The engine I plan on getting is linked above and came from the recommendation of many on its value (I think its also listed for like $1200?)
Any ideas would be great... I'm torn on whether to go manual or automatic but the less money I spend on the transmission, the more I can spend on my house............ orrrrrrrrrrrr on the interior of the truck..... just don't tell my wife
chevycheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:22 PM   #2
biketopia

Re: Transmission advice

The trans physically will bolt up just fine, your only difference between engines of 1 or 2 pieces rear main is the flexplate size, I believe. Just make sure you use the correct starter and flexplate for your combo and you'll be good to go. Other than 195hp isn't much to have any fun with, unless you stick a new cam in it when you get it.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:26 PM   #3
MMcMasters

The difference between your older small block being a 2 piece rear main seal vs the engine in the link being a 1 piece rear main seal has zero bearing on the ability to mate it up to a 700R4. Yes it will be just fine

70 Med Olive build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=714804

Instagram- protouring66
MMcMasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:29 PM   #4
chevycheetah

What is the difference in the flexplate and the starter? Do I just need an older flexplate and starter for the two piece engine?
Old 07-13-2016, 03:19 PM   #5
MMcMasters

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevycheetah View Post
What is the difference in the flexplate and the starter? Do I just need an older flexplate and starter for the two piece engine?
If you run a 153 tooth flexplate get a starter that is compatible. Some starters have dual bolt patterns for mounting to the engine and will work for either a 153 tooth or a 168 tooth.

The engine in your link is internally balanced as well so make sure whatever flexplate you choose is internally balanced.

Mike

70 Med Olive build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=714804

Instagram- protouring66
MMcMasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:24 PM   #6
chevycheetah

Thanks. Yall are a big help
Old 07-13-2016, 09:39 PM   #7
garyd1961

You might want to take a look at this engine. It's a little more but a better deal in my opinion. It's a 4 bolt main block, hydraulic roller cam, vortec heads and heavy duty valves with hardened valve seat inserts. I have one and it runs smooth but has good power.
It does requires an electric fuel pump and vortec intake. The intake is no problem neither is the electric fuel pump really but I admit I had rather have a mechanical fuel pump. The way I look at though is most all cars on the road today have an electric fuel pump. I almost forgot it has 9.4:1 compression.
Also comes with balancer.
https://www.summitracing.com/search?...yword=12530283

Last edited by garyd1961; 07-13-2016 at 09:44 PM.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote