The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2016, 01:35 AM   #26
66clow

Re: Do I need an alternator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
You have to get 12 volts on the brown wire in order for the alternator to charge. The current from it closes the regulator points and puts power on the blue and white wires. You should get 12 volts with the key on and zero with the key off. If you don't get 12 volts on the brown wire it may have a break in it or a bad connection at the firewall block or the key switch.

As a test you might try running a temporary wire from the battery hot to the brown wire on the regulator plug and check the alternator output wire for 14.5 volts. with the engine running.
Yes I have a pretty good feeling I'll find the
Problem with the brown wire on the dash side going to the ignition switch. I'm dreading going back in that area. I had a nightmare in there with ignition, lights and signal switch issues but got all that working, ugh. Of course you helped me with those issues before. Well best case it is just wiring issues and I don't need an alternator or regulator. Don't no how the battery is charging right now with these issues. lol dang po issues. Thanks again.

Last edited by 66clow; 07-10-2016 at 01:50 AM.
66clow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:23 PM   #27
mike16

while the engine is running hold a screw driver to the bearing in the back of the alternator. if you feal a magnetic pull then most likely the alternator is working.

even so take it to a auto parts stor and have it tested. sometimes a diod can go bad. often they are not replaced during a rebuild. the service manual can give you good rebuild advice, even if you choose not to rebuild it you atleast know. Frankly i would rather take a chance rebuilding my own alternator rather than being at the mercey of the unknown. service manual also good for checking regulator.

dont be scared of electricity. service manual will hold your hand as you go through the check out.

learn and share.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:03 AM   #28
66clow

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
You have to get 12 volts on the brown wire in order for the alternator to charge. The current from it closes the regulator points and puts power on the blue and white wires. You should get 12 volts with the key on and zero with the key off. If you don't get 12 volts on the brown wire it may have a break in it or a bad connection at the firewall block or the key switch.

As a test you might try running a temporary wire from the battery hot to the brown wire on the regulator plug and check the alternator output wire for 14.5 volts. with the engine running.
Victory! VetteVet you saved the day again. Free repairs are soooooo sweet but can be mentally painful. No need to purchase a alternator or regulator. Another po wiring headache. They apparently saw a need to just cut up wiring and leave it alone. Factory put it in there for some reason
The Brown wire that runs to the regulator just was not hooked up to the ignition switch so that's why I was not getting a reading at the regulator or alternator. Thank you all for the input. Getting 13-14 volts at the battery.
66clow is offline   Reply With Quote