The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2016, 06:17 AM   #1
cjoenny89

new clutch in my future?

Ok I have been working on this truck since last summer and never drove it before that it sat for years 25 or so in our garage after my dad rebuilt the engine and let it set. anyway I remember my dad having trouble putting the engine back in the truck and I wonder if he bent the clutch pressure plate springs? Now that the truck is painted and we are working out the bugs when I got to drive it no matter how I let the clutch out in rev or 1st gear it chatters or shakes the truck. I can ride the clutch or dump it doesn't matter. shifting in 2nd or 3rd is no problem. Problem is at take off in 1st and rev. I had the same problem in my VW buggy and adjusted the clutch linkage but it only bought me time. replaced it later and it took care of similar issues.
Rebuild 327, I am sure dad didn't replace the clutch truck has 43,000 original miles but I am thinking he bent a clutch spring since I recall no alignment tool and lots of cursing getting the engine in back in the early 90's.
change the clutch or look at the 2 piece drive shaft or does it need adjusted?

C20
3 speed on the column

Thanks
Attached Images

cjoenny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:28 AM   #2
Ken B

Re: new clutch in my future?

Sometimes it can be tough getting the engine and trans mated together, especially if you are doing the job alone. I'm curious as to you whether Dad replaced or had the flywheel machined? I always replace or have the flywheel machined to avoid such a problem.
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:38 AM   #3
Grumpy old man

I'd take a good look at that driveshaft carrier bearing , after changing a clutch on my 1976 (in 1978) that I was sure had gone bad once back on the ground it became instantly obvious that the carrier bearing had seized , and those big Muncies are heavy . It was a lot of work for nothing .but after sitting for 25 years I would imagine a new clutch pressure plate and throw out bearing are somewhere in your future .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:58 AM   #4
daveklein

All great things to look at and make sure everything is good.....But lets not forget about the pilot bushing/bearing. !! That will cause those same things if worn out Dave
daveklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:22 AM   #5
midniteblues

There is a few things that can cause Chatter,bent Springs being one of them.
Pilot bushing is a common Chatter problem.
And a worn input bearing.

At 43k mi. I wouldn't expect much too be wrong with them,is it still the oe clutch? If it is it could be weak or broken Springs in the disc.

Contamination,
weather it be rust,grease or oil on the flywheel face or pressure plate is more than likely your problem if everything looks too be in good shape and adjusted properly.
If you think there could be oil or grease on it you could pull the covers off the bottom and douse it with brake clean while someone works the pedal and taps the key too rotate the motor.

It's always a good idea too have the flywheel turned. Anytime I install a new clutch I get it turned makes things work so much smoother.

But just pulling one apart too inspect it I would look the flywheel over very good and make a decision from there it could just be glazed if it is I usually knock off the glazing with sand paper ever so gently.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:54 AM   #6
cjoenny89

I need to dig into it I am getting done with a lot of the fine detail of the truck, the tailgate will be done and on this week and I want to start driving it around but it isn't that enjoyable when the clutch is acting up people look and go well that dude doesn't know how to drive a stick and that is far from the problem!
cjoenny89 is offline   Reply With Quote