The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2016, 09:19 AM   #1
rdhowe2006@yahoo.com

Question Will Not Start

I had a bad battery and I replaced it. All went good after replacing it. I went several days with no problem cranking it. Now when I turn the key nothing. I checked the battery it is full charge. Lights work. So is it possible that I have a starter issue? Like I said all was fine until I replaced the battery. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Many Thanks in advance!
rdhowe2006@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:19 AM   #2
old Chevy guy

Re: Will Not Start

Battery charged and turn the key and nothing, define nothing,dash lights on? Radio work? Lights horn ? If all other systems are go then check the starter or more specificly start with purple wire on the solinoid. No lights or other systems check the connection from the battery positive to the junction block on the fender,that feeds the whole harness and fuse panel. Start there. Could be a bad ignition switch also, but like I say define nothing and we can help you better diagnose .
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:54 PM   #3
rdhowe2006@yahoo.com

Thanks Old Chevy Guy, I put the battery on charge for about 4 hours and it cranked up. So I may have a bad battery even though it's brand new. I don't know if something could be draining the battery as it sits or not. Guess I will take it and have it tested to make sure its not he battery.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:58 PM   #4
davepl

Is it worse when hot? Any marginal connection or poor splice in the purple wire that triggers the solenoid will cause this.

You can verify by touching the purple wire lug to the main lug with a piece of heavy gauge wire (or a screwdriver if you're careful). If it cranks, your problem is a voltage drop in the purple wire.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:51 PM   #5
old Chevy guy

My truck had a good,not new battery in it and it started going dead unexpectedly so I put another known good used battery I had in and after a few days it kept being dead too. Tested the charging system and found it was overcharging by a lot and cooked two batteries. Changed the regulator tested again,all good ,new battery no problems for 4 or 5 weeks now.
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:59 AM   #6
rdhowe2006@yahoo.com

Angry Re: Will Not Start

Okay I checked the battery with an OEM meter and it show 8 volts. Took the battery back and they gave me a new battery. Put it in and the truck cranked right up this was day one. Next day tried it and it cranked right up. All lights, horn, radio. etc. was working. I ran the truck for about 5 minutes. Third day went out to crank it and the battery was dead. Check the battery with meter and it was 3.6 volts. I have checked to make sure there is no switches on lights, radio, no electrical switches on. All wires going to starter are in good shape and tight. Alternator belt is tight and in good condition. I'm totally lost on this. Very frustrated as well! Can anyone offer some suggestions on what I may be missing or some advice on what may be my problem. Thanks Ron
Old 07-20-2016, 12:56 PM   #7
fatbass

Sounds like it could be a hidden drain somewhere. With the key off, accessories off and doors closed, start by removing the negative battery cable and placing a test light between the cable and battery. If the light goes on you have something using power. Start pulling fuses until the light goes out. This will isolate which circuit is draining your battery.
fatbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:26 PM   #8
biketopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbass View Post
Sounds like it could be a hidden drain somewhere. With the key off, accessories off and doors closed, start by removing the negative battery cable and placing a test light between the cable and battery. If the light goes on you have something using power. Start pulling fuses until the light goes out. This will isolate which circuit is draining your battery.
You need to put it on positive side. Or just use your meter you have place it into AMP mode and read the draw, a very small parasitic draw is normal from the radio. I had an aftermarket choke conversion go bad on me once and was staying powered up killing my battery.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:45 PM   #9
rdhowe2006@yahoo.com

Okay guys I tried the light tester. Took the negative cable off and put the tester inline. No light on the tester. Just to make sure the tester worked I turned on the parking light and the tester light came on. So it appears there is no hidden drain. I'm really scratching my head now. I hope someone out there can help with what else may be the problem? Thanks for any help with this issues. Just seems like one thing after another is happening. I get one issue taken care of and something else pops up. Totally frustrated. Thanks in advance Ron
Old 07-21-2016, 08:58 PM   #10
franken

Measure the battery voltage with the engine off, idling, and revved up a bit. W/o voltage measurements, you're blind. A charged battery is 12.6V, and most anything less means it needs a charge.

Placing a test light between the cable and terminal on the + or - side has the same effect.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:44 PM   #11
rdhowe2006@yahoo.com

It measures 12.80 sitting. Its a brand new battery. Only 2 days old.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:22 PM   #12
bad68nomad

What is voltage across battery terminals with engine running. It should b about 13.8 to 14.2. It sounds like your alternator isn't charging your battery.
68 Chevelle Nomad wagon
bad68nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:02 PM   #13
elf w/capital T

on my ls swap, I had all brand new sensors, come to first start, nothing, wasted so much time chaising wires...was a bad NEW crank sensor...
elf w/capital T is offline   Reply With Quote