The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2004, 08:31 PM   #1
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Windshield Wipers Stop Straight Up!

Anyone know what is going on here? They work fine but stop at the salute position rather than continuing down to the cowl.
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 08:42 PM   #2
bisquik65
Account Suspended

wiper

Did you check your wiper trans is not 180 degrees out? it could be yoor switch too.
bisquik65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 10:36 PM   #3
MACKL
Almost done!

Most wipers have 3 power circuits, 1 for low speed, 2 for high speed and a 3rd for the park feature. If the wipers are stopping where they were when you turne the switch off, I would suspect the park circuit (wiring or in the motor its self). If they are parking in the wrong place, I would suspect the timing of the linkage. Good luck...
MACKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 11:48 PM   #4
sneakysnake
It's a catastrophic success.

The wiper motors are mounted on rubber mounts insolating them from the cab(ground) the switch completes the circuit by giving the motor ground, when you turn off the switch you remove the ground,but inside the moter mechenism it has an over ride untill it gets to the stop point then it looses its ground completly and stops the motor.
sneakysnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 01:56 AM   #5
Jeepster376

If the linkage is installed correctly, it could be the park ring in the motor has a break or crusty spot in it causing it to park in the wrong spot. In other words, the motor could be bad.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:40 AM   #6
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

It stops in the same place every time...straight up. They are indexed properly since they sweep the windshield properly...just stop every time in the wrong spot...90 degrees out. They do continue to run until they get to that spot however. Maybe it is the motor indexing if it has four bolts since it is 90 degrees out of phase for the stop position. I will check that.
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:10 PM   #7
jakesblazer

Re: Windshield Wipers Stop Straight Up!

What happened how did you fix it? I have the exact same problem with my 72 blazer.
jakesblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:27 PM   #8
RestoreAmerica

never mind. Illogical idea!
RestoreAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:39 PM   #9
Orange Crate

This is the very rare optional high speed aerodynamic park mode (RPO O YEAH), very desirable when cruising over 200mph. DO NOT mess with this
Old 07-22-2016, 06:04 PM   #10
RestoreAmerica

Maybe not so illogical. Look at the direction the wipers move when you turn them on. Shut them off. Reposition them so that they are in a position down and when you turn them on they can move again.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:40 PM   #11
jakesblazer

When I turn them off they return to the 12 o'clock every time. They go through the cycle correct,all the way down to all the way up. The weird part is that when I turn them back on they first go down then continue on there cycle. I suspect if I just turned the wipers back down on there studs when I turn them back on wouldn't they just go down and smash some cowl?
jakesblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:49 PM   #12
RestoreAmerica

they probably would. That is why at first I thought my suggestion was illogical. I would imagine that if you put them to the other side down position when off they would only go to 12 o'clock and then smash into the other side of the cowl. Obviously there is some mechanism that tells the motor when to shut off that is not in the correct place. If I change my shut off on my garage door the door would stop going up or down based on the switch.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:52 PM   #13
mooseboy84

My truck was like this. To fix it is pretty simple, you dont have to do anything in the cab.

You first need to remove the wiper arms. There is a little tab you bend up, then pull them straight up. Just google or search this site for pictures of it.

After wipers are removed, you need to remove the cowl trim. There are screws that may be rusted so you need to spray them with lube, then two bolts on either side you have to open the doors to access.

With the cowl removed, the wiper arms connect a lever in the middle. It is attached by a bolt and clip. Remove the bolt and clip, take the arms off, and you will see a little arm/lever that attaches to the actual wiper motor in the cab. Take off the little lever, turn it 180 degrees, and connect everything.

Now the wiper blades will stop in the DOWN position. You may need to put wiper blades on and adjust where they stop 2 or 3 times before you put the cowl back on, but this is how you make them stop in the down/correct position.
mooseboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:53 PM   #14
RestoreAmerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseboy84 View Post
My truck was like this. To fix it is pretty simple, you dont have to do anything in the cab.

You first need to remove the wiper arms. There is a little tab you bend up, then pull them straight up. Just google or search this site for pictures of it.

After wipers are removed, you need to remove the cowl trim. There are screws that may be rusted so you need to spray them with lube, then two bolts on either side you have to open the doors to access.

With the cowl removed, the wiper arms connect a lever in the middle. It is attached by a bolt and clip. Remove the bolt and clip, take the arms off, and you will see a little arm/lever that attaches to the actual wiper motor in the cab. Take off the little lever, turn it 180 degrees, and connect everything.

Now the wiper blades will stop in the DOWN position. You may need to put wiper blades on and adjust where they stop 2 or 3 times before you put the cowl back on, but this is how you make them stop in the down/correct position.
Certainly seems very logical. Great advice!