The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2004, 02:03 PM   #1
Number98
Prestige Worldwide

Got some questions about airbags....

I know this topic has been beat to death but for those of you with air bags on your ride.... how do you like them? Do you drive your truck everyday with them? Pros and cons? I have been tossing around the idea of putting bags on my 71 shorty but can't decide. I love the idea of the adjustability and being able to lay it down and "show off" you know. But just wondering what you guys thought about them.... and which kit your using? Thanks in advance guys.

Jason
Number98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 02:42 PM   #2
rigo
Flake Daddy

I like em....they're on my daily driver..the ride is excellent, I've got them valved independently from one another and am running a front sway bar.....just do it right...whatever you choose....

make sure the bag isn't touching anything....make sure the lines are routed safely and use grommets where they go through metal.....get any leaks taken care of...and you should have a really nice experience with them....

I've done bags both ways, I've bought kits from Air Ride Technologies...and I've also pieced together my own suspension....so it just depends what you want to go with...or if you can fabricate some of your own stuff you can save a little $$

also, get your front end aligned where you will drive it, at ride height...or you will chew up tires fast...

rigo...

here's a pic of mine...

1960 El Camino....in the works.....
rigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 02:52 PM   #3
PrimeredThunder
Back from the Dead

I too own a 72 that rides on bags. The truck is not my daily driver, but only because of the 9mpg it gets. I have an isuzu trooper for mileage. However, I would't hesitate to drive my truck cross-country if I had to. With the bags the ride is great and its a plus to have the adjustability. Like rigo said, make sure and do it right the first time. I learned the first install that teflon tape is your friend (No Leaks!).

As for kits, Air Rde technologies has a great setup, and is what I'm running. Also, I'm using SMC Valves, a Viair compressor, and Parker brass fittings. Lay it low and keep on railing

Salem, Oregon
PrimeredThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 10:49 AM   #4
Number98
Prestige Worldwide

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I plan on routing everything right thats for sure.... I will be running a sway bar thats for sure. Also I guess I will need to be able to control each corner seperatly to prevent leaning, have you guys dealt with this? I have a friend who put bags on his S-10 and he has only front/rear control and it does not lean too bad but when he does some hard cornering it does. The independly valved corners would prevent this and make the truck corner pretty good right? Thanks for your help again guys.... Also I noticed that the front bump stop mounts are a bit close to the pocket on the lower A-arm, I am assuming I would need to take them off to keep anything from rubbing the bag?

Jason
Number98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 11:47 AM   #5
rigo
Flake Daddy

yeah......you have to either re-locate the bump stop or remove it completely.

independent valves will make the vehicle corner a lot better....and even more so with the use of the sway bar. They are also useful in leveling out the vehicle...you can run more air to that corner to get it to the same height as other corners...

I've used both manual and electric valves on different projects......they both have their pro's and con's...on the truck I have manual valves....they have a slower raise time....but you never have to worry about one sticking open or closed....or worry about extra circuits....on the con side...you have to run more lines into the cab....

rigo
1960 El Camino....in the works.....
rigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 05:00 PM   #6
bagged87chevy

My truck corners as good if not better than it did stock. I have valves on all 4 corners. Bump stops have to go and make sure when you cut them out to get the control arm good and smooth or you will end up rubbing a hole in your bag. I know from experience! My truck isn't my daily driver right now but it has been in the past. "Bagged" truck are plenty reliable to drive everyday just try to get your air system as leak free as possible running your compressor 24/7 gets kinda old.