The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2016, 02:30 PM   #1
HUSSEY

Parts Conundrum

One thing I've been blessed with on my build is that not one but three major reproduction parts suppliers are located in Kansas City, those being LMC, Classic Parts, and Jim Carter.

I put together a price comparison of Classic Parts vs LMC. From their posted prices, Classic Parts seems to be the least cost alternative. The one thing that I can't compare without actually seeing the parts is the difference in quality, fit, function, etc, therefore making the overall comparison incomplete.

Wondering who was the OEM of some of their parts I called LMC, I was surprised in that they would not offer that information. It would be interesting to know if most of all of these parts are coming out of the same factory in Taiwan or if they are sourced from different manufacturers. While there may be a decent demand for these parts, I can't imagine to many manufactures wanting to compete for such a narrow market.

Anyone have any input or further insight?

Old 08-02-2016, 02:57 PM   #2
bowt1ed

Re: Parts Conundrum

It seems weekly that I receive a sale or shipping discount notification from all of these guys (and more). What works best for me is keeping items on all the respective "wish lists" until I get ready push the order button and getting the best deal from whoever has the best then. Like you said - most of the parts (other than some panels) are likely made in the same Taiwanese factory.

Cheers, Jim
bowt1ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:12 PM   #3
b-mac

I've purchased a lot of sheet metal parts from LMC. There's always a little massaging to make them fit...as with all re-pop parts I've found.

But I just think it's great that someone is re-stamping this stuff. I have a buddy who buys a lot from Classic parts, but he works in North KC so it's a little closer.

I've never seen parts from both places side by side to compare, but I, like you, assume they are coming off the same factory line somewhere overseas.
b-mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:26 PM   #4
Jemezcrusher

I wanted to buy some fenders and seemed the best choice was tri plus. I tried to order from CARID but they were back ordered. I called LMC and the folks on the phone would not tell me (or could not). As it would happen, I was in KC on business in June and went over there. The guy in the will call/ pick up area knew that the stampings were tri plus. So , I went home and ordered them. LMC has free shipping on orders over 1000 so I pulled the trigger on three fenders and some other stuff. Very happy with appearance but have not bolted up the front end yet.

Anyway, since you are from there, you may want to drop over and ask about this or that
Jemezcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:55 PM   #5
HUSSEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowt1ed View Post
It seems weekly that I receive a sale or shipping discount notification from all of these guys (and more). What works best for me is keeping items on all the respective "wish lists" until I get ready push the order button and getting the best deal from whoever has the best then. Like you said - most of the parts (other than some panels) are likely made in the same Taiwanese factory.

Cheers, Jim
I hear you there, with my current build I'm the self proclaimed King of taking advantages of sales. I usually know what direction I'm going and I've bought stuff over a year in advance. My latest score was 20% off at Summit on New Vintage gauges. I get notices for Jegs, Summit, Speedway and others but I've never gotten anything from LMC or Classic Parts and I've bought from them before. I do get catalogs from them several times a year. I'll have to check to make sure I'm on their email list.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:06 PM   #6
OrrieG

I have purchased a lot of the same parts you are from Classic. Never been disappointed in fit or finish. But I have purchased others from LMC, Jim Carter, Performance On Line and Yogis because the prices were better. A lot of parts are still available thru NAPA, especially electrical stuff. I remember getting lamp sockets for my Chevelle from Schucks, not having them work right, and then ordering the part from a Chevelle supplier for twice as much. They sent the same exact part I had got from Schucks. Turned out to be a bad ground, not the sockets.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:55 PM   #7
MiraclePieCo

I must admit to being a price whore - I check my five catalogs and purchase from whomever has the lowest price on that item. But for service and knowledgeable advice I like Classic Parts.

I saw one guy on a forum bashing a certain Chevy truck vendor because of poor quality reproduction parts. He was just showing his ignorance. Most all reproduction parts are poor imitations of the originals. You have to have some creativity to make them work. That's why I go with original stuff if at all possible.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:54 PM   #8
franken

For normal parts like balljoints, brake bits, etc. NAPA or rockauto.
For body parts almost all are tripluss regardless of who sells them. AMD says thay make some body parts. You can buy from Jegs, often w/ free shipping.

Comparing prices w/o shipping is meaningless, and a lot of people don't like LMC.

I was looking for a wood floor front fleet bed panel. Shipping was generally more than the part (>$100), but jegs had a competitive price and free shipping.

If I have to pay shipping, I look for the nearest place out of state (no tax), to keep shipping lower. I also have local places so I can drive a bit save shipping but pay tax.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:41 AM   #9
joedoh

I bet its all the same stuff, I go to bowtie bits because its in town, looking at his prices they seem to be solidly in the middle. jeff is a dynamite human being and I dont have to pay shipping. Plus he always has shop eye candy on display.

LMC is fast shipping but their shipping prices can be nyuts. I ordered a single steel bed strip and it was 14 bucks shipping, 200 miles away. you are lucky they are local.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
For normal parts like balljoints, brake bits, etc. NAPA or rockauto.
lately I have actually been looking up the part number on rockauto and checking amazon for the exact same part, usually saves 10-30%. better than the 5% at rockauto, and if you buy from amazon preferred stores free shipping after a certain amount.

in fact now that I say that, I wonder if amazon would have this stuff too... hmm

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:07 AM   #10
b-mac

I had no idea there was someplace in Wichita supplying these parts. Thanks Joe. Gotta go see these guys.
b-mac is offline   Reply With Quote