The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2016, 01:42 PM   #1
birdkilla2k1

Draw-through turbocharging

Does anyone have some good resources in regards to a draw-through turbo setup? I'd like to keep the modifications era-correct. It's well down the pipeline for my project...it's a stock (for now) 292
Old 08-04-2016, 04:08 PM   #2
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Draw-through turbocharging

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdkilla2k1 View Post
Does anyone have some good resources in regards to a draw-through turbo setup? I'd like to keep the modifications era-correct. It's well down the pipeline for my project...it's a stock (for now) 292
You might take a look at the Inliners International website. They have a forum specific to L6 engines with turbo and supercharging, called ''Blown and Injected."
Look up posts by a guy named Tom Lowe [T. Lowe]. He seems to be a leading proponent of this technology.
www.inliners.org

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:22 AM   #3
Overdriven

Draw through may have been more prevalent for the era but there were blow through turbo setups as well, although most of those were injected. I'd seriously consider blow through for better drivability and less hassle. You can always make it look more vintage with the right carb, carb hat or box, tubing, etc.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:08 PM   #4
davepl

Draw through is like an assembly line that is constantly assembling a bomb, and just waiting for a match! Sometimes it seems like a simpler option, but be ready for the backfire....
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:57 PM   #5
Overdriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Draw through is like an assembly line that is constantly assembling a bomb, and just waiting for a match! Sometimes it seems like a simpler option, but be ready for the backfire....
Fuel puddling is one of the big issues with a draw through system, stumbling and backfires being the result. That's not to say it can't be done though.

As I said before there were blow through setups in that era. In fact there were some with intercoolers as well. I can't find pics of it but a Turbonetics built 65ish twin turbo Hemi car with twin water to air intercoolers in the fenders. There was a Willy's drag car with a twin turbo small block with modified vette fuel injection built in the 60's too. Both in Hot Rod at one point.

Point is there was plenty of experimentation going on back then with lots of different combos not just draw through. Not like today where everyone is building a LS with a single 78mm hanging off the right side. If it was me, I'd build it to look vintage. Turbo with an as cast look, unpolished compressor housing, vintage carb and a carb hat that's not streamlined like today's versions. Maybe a diesel turbo, they tend to look older and paint the compressor housing the same color as the engine, that'll help the look. Idk exactly what I'd do for the piping. If you're not going for big power then maybe no intercooler but definitely keep the pipe couplers to a minimum and no v-band clamps for a vintage look. Just some ideas to consider.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote