The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2016, 01:02 PM   #1
davepl

What color white are factory rims? Anyone had wheels painted/coated at Les Schwab?

I took my 5 factory rims in yesterday to have the tires dismounted so that I could get them powder coated, or painted if I can't find a decent match.

The guy at the counter said they also offer that service, which saves me a bunch of trips back and forth with the tires and rims to the powder coater and then back to have them remounted, so... I figured let them try!

Their "white" sample was predictably a little too white, so I gave them GM Code 521, Ditzler/PPG 2185, which is what my cab is.

But then I realized I don't know if the truck wheels were actually painted the exactly same paint as the cab and stripe on my truck (508 DK BLUE & WHT).

Are they supposed to be an exact match? Or are the whites different on a pure stock restoration?
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:27 PM   #2
72_K10_Vegas

Re: What color white are factory rims? Anyone had wheels painted/coated at Les Schwa

SS Tim would know,,,
Old 08-06-2016, 07:07 PM   #3
swamp rat

Re: What color white are factory rims? Anyone had wheels painted/coated at Les Schwa

Search function..

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=Ditzler%2FPPG

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:09 PM   #4
swamp rat

Another

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 08-06-2016, 07:11 PM   #5
swamp rat

One more...

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 08-07-2016, 04:34 AM   #6
PDXk5

I ran into this same opportunity at Les Schwab and had them do my 5 original 4 nub rims. When I received them back, I was not happy with the quality of the powder coating work. The grain of the powder was too large and it caused the finished powder coating paint to partially bridge the gap between the center and the rim hoop. I wanted it to coat into the recess not clump together like sand for an inconsistent finish at this joint in the rim.

I complained, and they stripped the powder coating and primered them for me (to keep them from rusting before I had them finished else where). I ended up having them painted at a aluminum wheel finishing shop in Beaverton, OR. They look awesome now!

I'm sorry I don't have pictures of the Les Schwab powder coating to illustrate what I'm talking about. The price and convenience of going with Les Schwab is very tempting but the end result is not show quality. I'm not dinging Les Schwab. They have good customer service and 'corrected' my rims without charging me but want you to know it's more of a daily driver quality job. If the coating does not get into this seem or the seem is not filled it will rust and leach out over your nice powner coating finish.

Just thought you should know what I experienced before you decide what you want to do.
PDXk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:13 AM   #7
68bowtie

agree with pdx, not a show quality product but it sure is cheap which will work for some people's needs. make sure you buff any pitting first, they blast and coat using an automated machine so there's no technician involved. i went with their standard "white" white and it turned out pretty good. here's a photo of the powdercoated rim next to the original white hub cap paint...

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  34.5 KB

Survivor "Lil’ Mint" (67 c10 40k mile light green original paint)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh) SOLD
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh) SOLD
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:40 AM   #8
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I had a set of rims powder coated at Les Schwab's. Wheel Vintique 8 lug steel 16X8's. These weren't going to be for me ( I prefer paint ). I had them sand blasted and I made sure they were super clean before they sent them in for powder. No different than paint, the final look is going to depend on the time you spend on prep. They looked great when done. I have no idea what color the white was. The truck they went on was a solid color.

Last edited by CG; 08-07-2016 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Need more words to figure out what the heck Im saying
CG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:11 PM   #9
midniteblues

I'm pretty sure earlier models had 526 ivory white this is what is on my 67.
Idk what year the change over to the more pure white was.

For the Ivory I got from a local ppg dealer they
Had a ditzler code of 8290 that they claimed as 526 ivory.

Of course this is paint and not powder.
I do believe the white on the cap is oe and even my colorblind self can tell a shade differnce. But its close enough for me.
And yes they both are absolutely crummy.

I was gonna use the 526 on my 71k20 but decided not too just too keep things differnt.
So I just asked for a quart of white not caring about the proper code.
But they are much more white than the ivory.

How does the powder hold up too popping the caps on an off?
Attached Images

'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:28 PM   #10
54blackhornet

Let me start by saying I have had two sets of wheels pc in the last couple of years. First by Baretto MFG in La Grande. They used steel shot to blast the wheels. No attempt was made to remove the shot from the seam between rim and center, looked terrible and there is rust forming already. Second set was done by Les Swab's shop in Bend. I impressed upon them my displeasure at Barettos work. The wheels came back perfect. Each wheel came shrink wrapped and in its own box. I would recommend them...
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2016, 01:14 PM   #11
davepl

Thanks for all of the feedback! Didn't think I'd catch so many people that had had it done there... I'll report back on how it goes when they're ready.

On the plus side it has to "match" the lower body but not the hubcaps, since mine are chrome or stainless (whatever is hard to find and correct for a 1970).
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote