The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2016, 07:41 PM   #1
GA Cowboy

No Right Break Light or Turn Signal

So I recently got my truck home from Florida via trailer. Something I've noticed is that the right rear break light and turn signal will not work. If I hit the turn signal left it works fine, if I hit it right it stays lit up on the dash and does not blink, the light does not work in the back either. I did replace the bulbs at first. The battery itself needed a new bolt but I have replaced it. Every similar topic I've seen seems to be an issue with the grounding. Anyone know whats wrong or where the grounding is for the tail lights?
GA Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:49 PM   #2
A1971Blazer

Re: No Right Break Light or Turn Signal

The lights ground thru the tail light housing.....the side marker lights have a wire that attaches under a screw behind it....the problem you're having is most often a ground issue......check your front grounds as well.

pull the lenses out and you will see 2 screws holding the housing in......remove them and check behind them for corrosion....should fix it...if not you have a wiring open or short...somewhere in that area...

has the harness been hacked for trailer lights? If so check that mess...I had to put a new rear light harness on mine because it was so hacked up...I put in a plug in adapter for future use....much cleaner install.
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:14 PM   #3
GA Cowboy

Thanks for your help, I'm 15 so learning alot here. The back up light, turn signal or tail light will not work on the right side. However the right rear marker light on the side of the bed works. Removed the bezels put couldn't put my eyes on a "ground"

Old 05-03-2016, 08:25 PM   #4
A1971Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Cowboy View Post
Thanks for your help, I'm 15 so learning alot here. The back up light, turn signal or tail light will not work on the right side. However the right rear marker light on the side of the bed works. Removed the bezels put couldn't put my eyes on a "ground"

again the marker light has it's own ground....but that does mean that you're getting power there....that's a good sign....just clean the housing really well where it contacts the sheet metal

we all had to start somewhere........it's good to see young guys interested in something besides a "smart" phone.....you'll get plenty of help and advise here....
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:27 PM   #5
GA Cowboy

I got tail light and side marker on the right side, just no back up light (top white one) turn signal or brake light on the right side. Don't see any obvious grounds behind the housing?

Last edited by GA Cowboy; 05-03-2016 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:31 PM   #6
flashed

I dont have any answer for you buy would love to see more pics of it ,Im guessing its the one under your tag line .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:41 PM   #7
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Cowboy View Post
I got tail light and side marker on the right side, just no back up light (top white one) turn signal or brake light on the right side. Don't see any obvious grounds behind the housing?
The brake and turn signals use the same wire The left side uses a yellow wire and the right side uses a dark green wire. There's a couple of ways to troubleshoot the problem.

The harness has a plug in connector on the firewall behind the distributor and it has all the wires to the rear lights in it. There is also a mid-frame connector in the harness up in the frame channel closer to the rear of the truck.

Disconnect the connector behind the distributor and run a 12 volt jumper from the battery to the dark green wire and see if the right light illuminates.
If you get a light then your trouble is in the cab. If you don't get a light then check the dark green wire in the firewall with a multimeter for 12 volts with the key on and the right turn selected.

If you don't get 12 volts ( the meter will alternate from 12 to 0 with the flasher) then the problem is in your cab harness.

The backup lights use a light green wire and if you have a left side backup light, the right side just jumps over from the left.

I suspect that the problem is in the rear harness. The brake/turn lights come from the turn signal switch and the connector on the steering column, while the reverse light wires come from the fuse panel.

If you have an automatic the backup light wires will plug into the neutral start switch that's mounted on the steering column next to the purple wires for the starter solenoid.

The dash indicator is tied in with the turn signal wire and the fact that it's working in the cab indicates that the dark green wire in the cab is OK as well.

Since you have a brown wire for the right tail light and it's working, that should rule out a grounding issue.\

Here's a pic of the rear harness.

Name:  !cid_41C4D85D17D9418AA9AE410DA9D317A1@OWNER.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  45.9 KB

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:16 PM   #8
GA Cowboy

Today I went out and as soon as I got to the stop sign outside my house, I hit the signal to go right and it worked. It blinked and the lights blinked both front and back. Then I went out and got a new battery because the one the previous owner had left in it was very weak. When I got back home we were able to confirm the break light and blinker work on the right side. The backup light still does not work. Thanks for the replies, my father has a friend who's a mechanic who is going to try to help me out in the next few days.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:20 PM   #9
GA Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
I dont have any answer for you buy would love to see more pics of it ,Im guessing its the one under your tag line .
That's it, here's some more.
Attached Images

Last edited by GA Cowboy; 05-04-2016 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:43 PM   #10
GA Cowboy

still having problems, replaced screws in rear housing and blinkers work great/fast now. No break lights or horn. If I hit speed bumps they will probably start working again. Driving me nuts