The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2016, 05:16 PM   #1
DJ_Baar

Fuse Panel Block Replacement?

Recommendations for replacing fuse panel block that goes thru firewall? Windshield gasket leaked and fuses were rusted in place. And hack job on engine side needed work, so thought I could just take apart and repair. WRONG the bolt that goes thru the firewall is either superglued or rusted.

I did try cleaning-up the fuse panel but needed to disconnect the firewall connection for more play with the wiring (and some needed repairs/replacement.

Pictures are of complete fuse panel, inside, and engine compartment block. So much corrosion on connections inside fuse panel, really want to replace as corrosion creates heat with poor connections. (I did do my best to clean - but....)

Appreciate the feedback up front.

R/
DJ
Attached Images

DJ_Baar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:37 PM   #2
ck5566
Account Suspended

Re: Fuse Panel Block Replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Baar View Post
Recommendations for replacing fuse panel block that goes thru firewall? Windshield gasket leaked and fuses were rusted in place. And hack job on engine side needed work, so thought I could just take apart and repair. WRONG the bolt that goes thru the firewall is either superglued or rusted.

I did try cleaning-up the fuse panel but needed to disconnect the firewall connection for more play with the wiring (and some needed repairs/replacement.

Pictures are of complete fuse panel, inside, and engine compartment block. So much corrosion on connections inside fuse panel, really want to replace as corrosion creates heat with poor connections. (I did do my best to clean - but....)

Appreciate the feedback up front.

R/
DJ
Better close up pics needed of the nut & bolt that holds the engine bay fire wall side connections (2) too the inside cab fire wall connection. Looks like you can use a Dremel tool cutoff wheel to cut the nut off and of course then you need a new or used Nut & Bolt. That problem solved. But the fuse panel fuse holders well there's another problem. You can replace the fuse holders pins (for lack of words) that my friend is quite a chore. Easier to replace the hole inside under dash wire harness.
ck5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:52 PM   #3
leftybass209

You should decide what kind of wiring harness you're looking for. AAW and M&H sell plug and play OEM style stuff, with modifications if needed.

Then there are the modern DIY blade style fuse blocks like Painless and the like.

You should figure out your budget and access the skill level needed for both styles.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:24 PM   #4
DJ_Baar

Anchor nut is a recessed into the back side of the inside connector; easier to drill bolt head out/off.

AAW or M&H? Sorry not familiar with them.

Found this replacement from Brothers. Wasn't my first plan, but probably best since I plan to keep this truck a long while and just starting the project. Anyone deal with similar kits.

Last kit I got was Ron Francis, but that was years ago for my '53 5 window Chevy PU (still trying to get from "X.")

R/
Dave
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2016, 10:50 PM   #5
ck5566
Account Suspended

Dave (brotherstrucks.com) or Brothers does have a Factory Style Wiring Harness from M&H that is a look alike to our/your truck & is MADE IN THE USA. 67-68 & 69-72 gauge or warning lights both styles $349.99 Go on line and request a catalog. here is a pic of that wire harness. I myself will be getting this same one in the near future.
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2016, 05:23 AM   #6
DJ_Baar

Yah, this is dash panel I already took apart, cleaned-up, & rebuilt. That would be gauge and warning lights. I will take a better look at that page you scanned online. I did order a catalog, never got, but have ordered from them online.

I always compare prices and shipping costs for best product, best price, with whatever I'm building. Sorry for ignorance on some of this, new to this model/yr truck project. I will get a better look at that add, I really only need the fuse panel and firewall connection, best to replace main under-dash harness and engine compartment too.

Thought I had the windshield seal temporarily fixed with some sealant, but still getting water thru around it somewhere. Prior Owner installed it. I don't care all that much for the chrome trim in the rubber seal. Its a problem to get it all to lay right and he didn't, still curled in one corner. I'm thinking of getting the plain rubber and resealing windshield. But that's another thing

R/
DK
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2016, 11:36 AM   #7
ck5566
Account Suspended

Quote:
Yah, this is dash panel I already took apart, cleaned-up, & rebuilt. That would be gauge and warning lights. I will take a better look at that page you scanned online. I did order a catalog, never got, but have ordered from them online.

I always compare prices and shipping costs for best product, best price, with whatever I'm building. Sorry for ignorance on some of this, new to this model/yr truck project. I will get a better look at that add, I really only need the fuse panel and firewall connection, best to replace main under-dash harness and engine compartment too.

Thought I had the windshield seal temporarily fixed with some sealant, but still getting water thru around it somewhere. Prior Owner installed it. I don't care all that much for the chrome trim in the rubber seal. Its a problem to get it all to lay right and he didn't, still curled in one corner. I'm thinking of getting the plain rubber and resealing windshield. But that's another thing

R/
DK
Dave; My catalog book is about a year old now & might be out dated also $$'s, catalog #'s are Vol. 13 No. 7, the page I scanned is 132. If you find someone that will "just" sells the fuse block and other parts you want LET me know I also would like to just replace them. My windshield doesn't leak so far but I bought the frt. & back window seals With Out chrome trim provisions awhile back but haven't yet installed them. Chrome is nice but it just adds the element of something that could go wrong just might go wrong. If you know what I mean. LOL
Old 08-18-2016, 11:47 AM   #8
DJ_Baar

I'm still researching parts for this, but did order a Brothers catalog this morning.

My next BIG project will be getting the factory A/C working. One thing at a time.

Got to get wiring fixed and make sure heater blower all works. Previous Owner had ALL ducting removed and thought he had complete kit - WRONG.

I used to call my last Harley build "JOker." The capital "O" was because "Oh no, now what?!" I go out of my way to do things right the first time so I don't have to redo later. But I ended up having the old Shovelhead engine apart 3 times! Last time was COMPLETE rebuild and found things that were just done WRONG previous Owner of that. ;-)

Dave
Old 08-18-2016, 12:19 PM   #9
ck5566
Account Suspended

Quote:
I'm still researching parts for this, but did order a Brothers catalog this morning.

My next BIG project will be getting the factory A/C working. One thing at a time.

Got to get wiring fixed and make sure heater blower all works. Previous Owner had ALL ducting removed and thought he had complete kit - WRONG.

I used to call my last Harley build "JOker." The capital "O" was because "Oh no, now what?!" I go out of my way to do things right the first time so I don't have to redo later. But I ended up having the old Shovelhead engine apart 3 times! Last time was COMPLETE rebuild and found things that were just done WRONG previous Owner of that. ;-)

Dave
Mine is called Marilee, I named Her after a good Friend that passed away @ the age of 49. That was my age when I bought my Harley Twin Cam 02 FXD.

Me & my oldest Grandson (now 17) on our Harleys. LOL
Attached Images

Last edited by ck5566; 08-18-2016 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:01 PM   #10
DJ_Baar

JOker - traded for 67 C20 Camper Special (plus $$$)

JOker was "Old School Harley-Davidson Shovelhead.” Frame was '74 (Registered VIN Harley FXE Super Glide), but with wide-glide (41mm) forks. Engine Cases are '76, "jugs" and flywheels are '80 Harley (4.25" stroke), and pistons are .010 over. Engine has S&S Super Stock Dual-Plugged Heads with DYNA Single Fire "2Ki" programmable Ignition (two Coils -- one each cylinder). Upgraded to performance modified 40mm Keihin CV Carb and DRAGTRON Air Cleaner. Has S&S Super Stock 5 Speed transmission with SPYKE High Toque Starter & Big Boar Battery. Custom black paint with multi-color metal flake, hand painted "Joker Skull" on both (sealed) gas tanks, and Frame is powder coated. ALL electrical has been replaced to include new wiring with soldered connections and environmental spliced to keep problems out. Bike has been totally gone through & rebuilt with TLC (to include COMPLETE engine tear-down and rebuild at B&B Racing July 2013). Anything possibly needing replacement was, (like both tires, drive and primary chains, drive chain tensioner, sprockets, brakes, slash-cut exhaust pipes/mufflers, complete clutch package and Muller Power Clutch to ease the pull, later model 32 amp alternator, digital charge “GEN” indicator light, LED “tombstone skull” taillight and 7" Adjure "skull" headlight, wired in battery trickle charger, external oil filter and oil pressure gauge, . . .). I last added a National Cycle Heavy Duty Windshield. Hated to see it go.
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2016, 05:55 PM   #11
DJ_Baar

Ol Lady & I

ck5566,

You got me beat a bit on hair & beard Bro. But I only started growing my hair from shaving my head (I was deploying with both Navy & Marines post Navy career as a Tech Rep). I'm civil service for Navy, but post long-ass separation and expensive divorce and past retirement age - I let it grow. Though I keep hair in pony tail at work and trim beard some. Since you shared, figured I should too. This is my second, current, and plan to be my last wife

Dave
Attached Images