The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2016, 01:43 AM   #1
Mrturner1

Auto to manual trans swap difficulty

Hey guys, I was wondering how hard (and expensive) it is to swap a th400 out for a manual transmission? I have a 1970 C10 LWB, it has a 10.5:1 355, heads cam Holley 750 DP, 3.73 rear w/ a mini spool, and it's 2 wheel drive. I don't know which trans I would use, I suppose it would come down to price and availability. Obviously a 6 speed is a dream trans, but I could live with a 5 speed or even a 4 speed.

Matt
Mrturner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:42 AM   #2
Tiger Joe

Re: Auto to manual trans swap difficulty

Price of the swap really depends on what trans you want.

Since these trucks came with manuals, you can source all the clutch related parts used.

Cheapest way to get a manual is would be a sm465 Muncie, but being your truck sounds like its more performance based, lets rule that out.

next cheapest route would be to find a used 4 spd- like a Muncie, borg warner, or Saginaw. If you go those route, you can use again source a bellhousing and clutch linkage parts off a donor truck.

moving up the cost ladder would be a 5 speed swap. I just swapped a tko 5 spd into my 67 in place of a t-10 4 speed. Again I could use all the clutch stuff on the truck, just that the trans and install kit cost almost $3000

most expensive option would be a t-56 6 speed. you would basically need to buy a complete installation kit for the install, I'm guess all said and done you would be close to $5000 into this, assuming you bought a used transmission.

As long as you are handy and don't mind hunting down the used clutch parts, its not that bad of a swap. the 4 vs 5 vs 6 speed would really depend on what type of driving you do with your truck. If your truck is a highway cruiser and you love cruising down the freeway at 85 mph, then I'd be looking at the 6 speed. If you rarely drive down the highway you could get away with a nice 4 speed. you could always swap a tko 5 speed in place of a 4 speed later if you want to jump into overdrive since they use the same bellhousing and clutch.

personally, I had a 4 speed in my truck and I didn't particularly enjoy driving my bbc on the highway with it. it was just too much to be cruising down the 4 lane at 3000 rpms. swapped the 5 speed in this spring, and while I don't have many miles on it, it sure is nice if we end up on the freeway to shift to 5th and see a nice rpm drop.
Tiger Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:25 AM   #3
Mrturner1

Is there any 5 or ) speeds I could get used, like out of a wrecked Camaro or something that would bolt to my SBC?
Old 08-19-2016, 08:21 AM   #4
Mike C

The 3rd gen Camaro T5 will work, but it is not commonly found any more. It also has a tilted bellhousing that requires a little creativity to install.

T5's were also available in S10 and Astro vans behind the 4.3 but they have different gear ratios and are not quite as strong.

As long as you don't power shift or wheel hop the truck either choice works pretty well.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:17 AM   #5
A1971Blazer

This.........http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge.../manual/nv4500
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:49 PM   #6
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Joe View Post
Price of the swap really depends on what trans you want.

Since these trucks came with manuals, you can source all the clutch related parts used.

Cheapest way to get a manual is would be a sm465 Muncie, but being your truck sounds like its more performance based, lets rule that out.

next cheapest route would be to find a used 4 spd- like a Muncie, borg warner, or Saginaw. If you go those route, you can use again source a bellhousing and clutch linkage parts off a donor truck.

moving up the cost ladder would be a 5 speed swap. I just swapped a tko 5 spd into my 67 in place of a t-10 4 speed. Again I could use all the clutch stuff on the truck, just that the trans and install kit cost almost $3000

most expensive option would be a t-56 6 speed. you would basically need to buy a complete installation kit for the install, I'm guess all said and done you would be close to $5000 into this, assuming you bought a used transmission.

As long as you are handy and don't mind hunting down the used clutch parts, its not that bad of a swap. the 4 vs 5 vs 6 speed would really depend on what type of driving you do with your truck. If your truck is a highway cruiser and you love cruising down the freeway at 85 mph, then I'd be looking at the 6 speed. If you rarely drive down the highway you could get away with a nice 4 speed. you could always swap a tko 5 speed in place of a 4 speed later if you want to jump into overdrive since they use the same bellhousing and clutch.

personally, I had a 4 speed in my truck and I didn't particularly enjoy driving my bbc on the highway with it. it was just too much to be cruising down the 4 lane at 3000 rpms. swapped the 5 speed in this spring, and while I don't have many miles on it, it sure is nice if we end up on the freeway to shift to 5th and see a nice rpm drop.

I would love a 6 speed but that's a different project with a different budget lol Sounds like a TKO 5 speed is right up my alley. You said you got the trans and installation kit for a little less than 3k? That seems doable
Old 08-19-2016, 10:10 PM   #7
Acorn

what are your end goals? Are you wanting a truck style tranny or a sports car type tranny?
Might try looking at the nv3500 or mv4500 trans.
I have had nv3500 and nv4500 5 speeds and I describe their sifting as "trucktastic" compared to the t56 or tko.
I have a'70 c10 with a nv3500 out of a '96 full size 1500. (The s10 nv3500 are different) Not a sports car but it has a hydraulic clutch and hyd throw out, and a short throw shifter so it is easy on my old left leg and fun to drive.