The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2016, 07:43 PM   #1
Tod59

'59 starter conversion?

He Fella's-

I got a '59 235ci with a three speed on the tree and of course the 6 cyl. foot starter. I want to eliminate the foot starter and convert to starting my truck with just a key (through the ignition) in the dash while keeping the 235 engine.

A trusted 40 year body man told me today that the 235 starter can be converted to a key start style through the ignition (like on most 50's, 60' and 70's cars), thus removing the foot starter element all together.

He said you need to remove the current 6 cyl. starter, purchase a newer style sbc starter and solenoid and run some hot wires to the solenoid and from the ignition switch and no more foot pedal starter.

Does this sound feasible to you guys? Have any of you ever did this? I would like to do it, but not sure if he is correct. I have big feet and I m always bumping the starter pedal while using the gas pedal.

All advice welcome. Again, I want to remove the 6cyl. starter (but keep the
6cyl. engine) and be able to start my truck with a key.

Thanks
Tod59
Tod59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:55 PM   #2
svr

Re: '59 starter conversion?

On my '57 pickup I ordered a 57 chev 6 cyl car starter from napa, it bolted right in and seems to work good, the solinoid has a resistor post on it to bypass the resistor on startup. Just need a wire from your start post on the solinoid to the start post on a key switch or a start button with a wire to an ignition source.
svr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:41 PM   #3
Tod59

Thanks. Are 57 to 59 6 cyl car starters the same?
Old 08-18-2016, 01:09 PM   #4
mr48chev

To be sure I checked rock auto for a ring gear for a 59 chevy Bel Air with a 235 and it runs a 168 tooth ring gear same as the truck.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ring+gear,5360

I hate to say it but I'd have to believe your "trusted buddy" is blowing smoke. All 235 engines use a bolt to the bellhousing starter and V8 starters won't fit or bolt up and there is no way to get the end frame to bolt up.

Come to find out a 1960/62 truck starter is the same as the car starter http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...patibilityTab_

I knew that there was a simple easy way to do this.

To simplify things get a heavy duty push button start switch and either mount it in the dash or hide it under the dash where can reach it easily and you don't have to change your switch. just turn on the switch and hit the push button and go. Some guys seem to be too lazy to do that but it will save you the grief of fighting a switch that doesn't fit in your dash right and an 8 buck push button and two lengths of 12 gauge wire and done.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:16 PM   #5
OrrieG

If I remember, when I converted mine I used the same starter body and armature but had to change the nose piece and add an auto solinoid plus the push button and wiring changes. That was in the 70's when parts were readily available.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:09 PM   #6
mr48chev

That's a thought, if the starter is good you should be able to get the parts and convert your starter for a lot less than replacing the starter

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:09 PM   #7
Tod59

Thanks Fellas. Today I bought a 1959 235ci car starter with solenoid and a starter button for under the dash from my local NAPA store. Starter was very reasonable at $68.

One more request, can someone draw up and post a very simple schematic for me to run the wiring? I am NOT the greatest at wiring.....please include words like: starter, battery, solenoid and of course the push button. The simpler the better.
Thanks Guys!
Old 08-20-2016, 12:10 AM   #8
Foot Stomper

Just wondering why you'd want to convert such a cool and unique "anti theft" device?

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 01:26 AM   #9
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod59 View Post
Thanks Fellas. Today I bought a 1959 235ci car starter with solenoid and a starter button for under the dash from my local NAPA store. Starter was very reasonable at $68.

One more request, can someone draw up and post a very simple schematic for me to run the wiring? I am NOT the greatest at wiring.....please include words like: starter, battery, solenoid and of course the push button. The simpler the better.
Thanks Guys!
I'm not sure if the ignition switch on your truck has the studs with nuts on the back where you could hook a wire to the switch to the Batt post on the switch. that would let you run a wire from there to the push button and a wire from the pushbutton to the S terminal on the solenoid.

Other wise you could run the wire to the hot wire on the horn relay or just run it back to the + post on the battery. The one on the right in this photo. The one on the left is the resistor bypass.

Never mind the arrow that showed where the battery cable went for someone else.

Old 08-20-2016, 01:50 PM   #10
JMG59Apache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod59 View Post

Thanks Guys!
I have a large wiring diagram for the 59. I am not sure if a photo will work but if you think that is something you can use let me know
JMG59Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:28 PM   #11
mr48chev

I'm thinking he mostly wanted to know the best spot to hook the power feed to the push button to.

On most of the AD and TF trucks there is a main power feed running to the horn relay if the back of the ignition switch doesn't have nuts you can remove.