The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2016, 11:07 PM   #1
kehstr

Using them bumperettes

Thought I would start a thread, I've heard of people using their bumperettes or a block of wood to push other vehicles, or other things they need to. As many of the younger members on this board, I've never actually seen this happen. So could you help break the ice for me with a video or picture of you doing this with your truck?

Check out my Youtube channel
@Chad's Fab
kehstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:09 PM   #2
In The Ten Ring

Re: Using them bumperettes

Are you talking about bumper guards? I've never done it but I know my dad has. Trucks and even cars had them and you could push other vehicles to get them started.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:11 PM   #3
kehstr

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
Are you talking about bumper guards?
yes i am

Check out my Youtube channel
@Chad's Fab
kehstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:22 PM   #4
In The Ten Ring

OK kid you got it.

I'll try and ask my dad for ya. But I do know that in years past, vehicle reliability left something to be desired. Carburetors are finicky and from what dad told me, you'd see vehicles broke down all over the roads.

I guess batteries weren't that great either or people just couldn't afford them, and you could push a car or truck to get him started. Even an automatic transmission could be started that way too, although you had to get it going a bit faster before dropping it into "Drive."

I'll try and ask him next time I see him for more info. Surely though, someone will chime in.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:03 AM   #5
In The Ten Ring

Hey, guess what? I saw my dad.

He said that back the 1940's and 1950's, cars had "generators" not "alternators" and generators just didn't charge batteries that well. Anyway, especially on a cold day, your car didn't want to start. So you'd get a guy to guide the pusher up to the rear of the car that needed pushing.

Now sometimes bumpers just wouldn't line up, one would ride over or go under, and you don't want that. It could scratch up your vehicle, even dent it. And sometimes it would still get hung up and you'd have to get on a bumper and jump up and down to free it. (A scene in the movie "Duel" shows that).

Bumper guards helped a great deal. My dad said he's "pushed cars over a mile to get them started. And the worst part was they'd get started and drive off and then your car would quit and you'd be left all alone. Cars just weren't very reliable back then."

*At my parents how since I had to borrow dad's truck to go buy parts for mine today.

Now I like bumper guards and the first thing I bought on the parts forum was a NOS set for my truck. I later bought a grill guard that has them built in. I want to put that on once the truck is running.