The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2002, 09:12 AM   #1
rangrubb

Angry Headlight Problems

I own a '69 c-20 and the headlight will not work! Every other light on the truck lights up, but no headlights (high or low beam). I am a novice at automotive repair, but love old trucks!?!? Go figure! Any suggestions?
rangrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 09:39 AM   #2
Brad69
Crash Test Dummy

The cheapest and most effective path to take is:
fuses -> Dimmer Switch -> Headlight Switch

Build Sheet:
1969 C-10 short fleet
Constructed by taking a 3/4 ton rolling frame from one truck, adding a rust free AC Cab from another, then a bed from another, 1/2 ton front suspension & brakes from another,add in one Goodwrench crate 350, painted DuPont Arctic White,and driven daily.

Brad69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 02:41 PM   #3
lofly'a

brad is on the right track i think, that floor mounted dimmer will lose contact or corrode because of where it's located. i still prefer it on the floor though.
-2003 YUKON (Wife's)
-71 gmc swb fleet (current project, gonna shave everything, bags, stuff w/ 20's, gen III powertrain)
-48 3100 SWB - 12/31/23 LONG TERM Project
lofly'a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 03:54 PM   #4
BigJackDaddy

Good suggestions. Mine was bad once.

You use the word "novice" so please don't be offended if I say something you already know. Since we don't know each other, I'm starting at the beginning.

Check the obvious first: Disconnect the plug from the back of the headlight and check the plug for voltage with the switch on. While the plug is off the light, grab some wire and check the headlight bulb by rigging some wire from one of the parallel terminals to your battery + and the horizontal one to a known good ground.

If the bulb does light and there's juice at the plug, _I'd_ check & clean the grounds on that front wiring harness.

No voltage at the headlight plug? Verify power to the foot dimmer. Yes? You found the problem. No power? Reach up under the dash to the back of the headlight switch. On the top of the switch, between the contacts, you'll feel a little button. Depress it and pull out on the headlight switch knob. It'll come out in your hand and then you can unscrew the switch from the dash. Lower it into easy view to check it out.

Let us know how you make out.

------------------
1971 GMC 1500; 307 Invader

Old 04-03-2002, 04:13 PM   #5
rangrubb

Smile

The floor mounted dimmer switch was it! The connection was corroded. Just shot a little wd-40 on it and plugged it in, and whamo! Thanks a bunch for your responces!!!
rangrubb is offline   Reply With Quote