The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2015, 03:59 PM   #1
PGG

Swapped out my wheels to Rallys lost two rings already!

I have been waiting to put these on and send a guy who works for me to get it done as I have been too busy. Anyway in two short trips two rings came off one lost one ruined. The tire shop knows what they are doing is there anything
that can be done to not lose beauty rings all the time?

Thanks PG
Attached Images

PGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 05:04 PM   #2
68panelman

Re: Swapped out my wheels to Rallys lost two rings already!

I would have a talk with your employee, mine have never just flown off. Hard Cornering will cause that, or big potholes. Could be the installer also, anytime someone does work for you, going over their work is must. My 2 cents.
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:42 PM   #3
71swb4x4

I have never lost one either. I would check the ears on those that are holding it to the wheel. Sounds like you need to bend them out a little more so they grab harder.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:48 PM   #4
PGG

I will see if I can post some images of them in the morning to see if they are looking right or not. Thanks PG
Old 10-01-2015, 09:35 AM   #5
PGG

Yesterday I got some smaller beauty rings from O'Reilly's auto parts they seem to be holding very tight but not quite as nice as the 3" rings. They were cheap at $12 each. Maybe I can tighten the old ones to see if I can keep them on I think they are just worn and been taken on and off too many times maybe.

PG
Old 10-02-2015, 06:35 AM   #6
PGG

Angry Re: Swapped out my wheels to Rallys lost two rings already!

OK WEIRD PROBLEM NUMBER 2.

The new cheap beauty rings are staying on however my front right ring
is spinning separate of the wheel when I drive. I have taken it off and re lined it up with the stem indention three times with a short drive it has spun half way around the wheel. It is rubbing slightly on the stem so I assume it will eventually wear the stem out causing a failure plus it appears to make a clicking sound while I am driving I can't hear it but my passengers do. It seems to fit very tight
I removed it again last night cleaned the inner wheel thinking it might be slick from break dust of something then tested it on a short drive and same thing again.

What do I do on this? Thanks PG
Old 10-02-2015, 08:51 AM   #7
jaros44sr

I've got several sets laying around, bought a set of stainless steel for my tr6, then put them on my rallies, never had a problem. If you need one, or two, pm me an addy

And yes you are going to get a flat, if you don't fix the problem

Truck looks awesome

WIN_20150805_132534 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/97391199@N06/]

They look dirty, but wipe down with a damp clothe and they shine like chrome. No curb rash

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 10-02-2015 at 09:00 AM.
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:39 AM   #8
71swb4x4

PGG are these GM ralleys or aftermarket? The ears on the rings aren't tight enough. Bend them out more. If they are aftermarket ralleys maybe that inner diameter of the wheel is different.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:27 PM   #9
ubstung71

Mine have never come off and I've owned them for over 15 years. I would say make sure they are tight and it should take some effort to get them on.

One thing I DID notice was mine seem to shift over time and start to cut into my rubber air valve stems so I have to fix that. I need to check and adjust the rings every 1000 miles or so.
ubstung71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:42 PM   #10
PGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubstung71 View Post
Mine have never come off and I've owned them for over 15 years. I would say make sure they are tight and it should take some effort to get them on.

One thing I DID notice was mine seem to shift over time and start to cut into my rubber air valve stems so I have to fix that. I need to check and adjust the rings every 1000 miles or so.
I have just one left that is rotating like this I bent out the teeth a bit all the way around it slowed it down but it still creeps pretty fast.
No idea how to stop this? PG
Old 10-08-2015, 12:32 PM   #11
ubstung71

PGG;

It hasn't been a major issue so I haven't experimented that much. I'm sure it a combination of the tolerance of the ring size, teeth condition and the rims put together. I may experiment with an additional fastening scheme beyond bending out the teeth. Some kind of fastener that still allows the ring to be pulled off.

Don't laugh but maybe velco strips? I will update this thread if I come up with something.
ubstung71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 11:39 AM   #12
BuildinA68

I don't know this for a fact but it might be a combination of aftermarket ring and new tires that have a "Rim Guard"? My cousin had the same problem running a set of 33x12.5 Good Year M/T's. He watched the front tires and when he turned the tire flexed and the aftermarket ring would work loose. Rears had no problems. He went back to the tire place and they found nothing wrong?? So just my two cents.....but I myself am going to run into the same problem soon. I am running a set of 32x11.5 BFG A/T's and aftermarket rings. But I am glad to have read this and find out about the narrow rings? They don't look as good but would look good enough if I can't get the 3" rings to work?? If anyone has anymore input I would appreciate it!!
Old 01-02-2016, 02:23 AM   #13
Mint68

I would try bending out the teeth on the ring, then maybe clear silicone to hold them.

Great looking blazer by the way.
Mint68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:59 AM   #14
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

I know it doesn't help the ring rotating but maybe install some metal sleeves over the valve stems until you get it worked out or put metal valve stems in just for some added insurance?
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:03 PM   #15
PGG

I jacked around with all those ideas and suggestions finally they are stock GM rally wheels and I am just running without the freaking rings now. Its finally cold enough I likely wont be driving much anyway now so Ive got 3 months to think of a new idea. I bent the teeth out and they were really freaking hard to get on as in I had to fight them to get them on. They never came off again but they do creep around the wheel. PG

Thanks for all the compliments on my truck.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:53 AM   #16
jaros44sr

You got me, no idea of a fix except metal valve stems. Are you laying wheels in four wheel drive?

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:37 AM   #17
PGG

I have never had it off road literally yet and have never put in in 4WD.
I had my mechanic put it in 4x4 and check function that is all.
PG
Old 03-16-2016, 11:58 AM   #18
PGG

So I posted this below in the main forum a few minutes ago but I guess this is why the beauty rings creeping around has been a problem from the get go.

Ok so got BFG KOs from Discount a year ago one is out of round...

Last April 25th I got a set of four BFG TA KO 33"-12.5x15" I have had problems with the beauty rings creeping around my Ralleys every since they were installed and finally took them back in and Discount says one is out of round. They have 400 miles on the set. Of course the old style is no longer available they are offering to replace it with a TA KO2. I dont like at all the idea of one tire not matching and I *****ed a bit they offered to replace a pair of them so I had one new set one old set. I have no idea what would be my best choice but I am not thrilled with any of these offers although I am not an ass and know he can only do so much. I was hoping he would put off the problem to the maker and get me a full matched set of the new style but so far no luck on getting that done. They did move the bad tire to the rear thinking that might help some while I gave it some time to think on the subject. Any suggestions or ideas of what you would do in the same situation or if you have ever had similar problem. Any tricks to getting your way with BFG/Michelin or Discount tire?
Thanks PG
Old 08-27-2016, 03:12 PM   #19
BuildinA68

just another two cents? the newer tires have the rim saver, extra rubber around the bead, not letting the ring go completely on the wheel. My BFG's had it, my new tires don't. no issues with the rings now. Dick Cepek's
Old 08-27-2016, 07:03 PM   #20
chad75

Mine fit really tight, fingers crossed put on last week.
Attached Images

chad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:31 PM   #21
PGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildinA68 View Post
just another two cents? the newer tires have the rim saver, extra rubber around the bead, not letting the ring go completely on the wheel. My BFG's had it, my new tires don't. no issues with the rings now. Dick Cepek's
I have BFG's I think I know what your talking about and I bet thats the problem...