The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2016, 04:59 PM   #1
jctweedt

Brake question

Hey there, I'm curious about a brake "issue" I'm having. (It's really not much of an issue, more of an annoyance.) I've noticed my brakes getting a bit softer...not crazy soft, but noticeable enough. I bought new pads to throw on, and when I removed my old pads, there's still plenty of pad left (about 5/16" for the old ones, and 3/8" for the new ones.) The rotors are fine, brake fluid is full and looks pretty clean. Never had to fill it up, so no leaks anywhere. I haven't touched the rear drums by the way. So is there some way for air to get in the system without losing fluid? Or some other possible culprit I may not be aware of?

jctweedt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:20 PM   #2
GRX

Re: Brake question

Check the brake hoses for swelling. All three of them.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:30 PM   #3
geezer#99

New pads move the seal area in the wheel cylinder. The cups in the cylinder are now trying to seal on a new possible rough or dirty surfaces. When you stroke the pedal, the cups push out and when they relax back they'll draw in a little air. Makes the brakes a little mushy.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 10:48 PM   #4
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctweedt View Post
Hey there, I'm curious about a brake "issue" I'm having. (It's really not much of an issue, more of an annoyance.) I've noticed my brakes getting a bit softer...not crazy soft, but noticeable enough. I bought new pads to throw on, and when I removed my old pads, there's still plenty of pad left (about 5/16" for the old ones, and 3/8" for the new ones.) The rotors are fine, brake fluid is full and looks pretty clean. Never had to fill it up, so no leaks anywhere. I haven't touched the rear drums by the way. So is there some way for air to get in the system without losing fluid? Or some other possible culprit I may not be aware of?
Did installing new pads make a difference? It is possible that the rear brakes aren't taking up adjustment. This can be true if you don't step on the brake pedal when backing up, to make the adjusters click over. Your system, if operating properly, will not draw in air from the outside. If that happens, you will be guaranteed to have a leak. Air into the system that way takes atmospheric pressure (14.7 PSI) overcoming brake hydraulic pressure (many hundreds of PSI) to leak in.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:50 AM   #5
jctweedt

I didn't put the new pads on, the old ones were in too good of shape still. I'll check the lines today. Any chance the brake booster could be on its way out? Again, the brakes aren't dangerously soft, my truck still stops better than my '96 did.

jctweedt is offline   Reply With Quote