The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2016, 08:31 PM   #1
LongBox

I Done it!

Went out and bought me a 1969 GMC 910 pickup truck.

It's a long bed, wide side, with a 350 Cu In 4 BBL engine, an auto trans, no AC, no Power Steering, and no Power Brakes. However, it DOES have, an AM Delco Radio, a heater, and two-speed electric wipers, with chrome arms and blades. I took a picture of the SPID thingy on the glove box door, and I'll post it later.

Original paint all round, original vinyl bench seat, covered all its life. And, it has only 52,400 miles from new. The headliner and door panels are made of the finest tin, and as near as I can remember, the floor covering is synthetic rubber.

Absolutely no rust, anywhere, not on the rockers, the cab corners, the bottoms of the doors, or anywhere on the fenders or box. The battery tray is absolutely like new.

It was an estate sale, and I bought it from the executor, who is the granddaughter of the original purchaser. He was a mechanic, and the truck comes with the original owner's manual, the factory shop manual, and a really thick file of every service record, and all the stuff you get when you buy a new truck.

It has been sitting for 2 years, but it was put away properly. New oil in the crankcase, good clean antifreeze, and an absolutely full tank of gas. The old boy took the battery out of it before he put it away, so I put my battery in. It turns over, but does not seem to be getting fuel, so no start. Plan on taking the inlet filter out of the carb to see what's up there.

I took a bunch of pictures, but none of the whole truck, as it's parked in a tight space. As soon as I have them all loaded into the computer, I'll post them. However, for now, you'll just have to take my word.

My wife, bless her heart, is not upset about this, although we already have a GMT 400 truck that she is not too fond of...

I'm hoping to get it home on Wednesday (delay due to long weekend, and legal work required due to it being from an estate), and then I'll be looking for help from this fantastic forum.
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:40 PM   #2
Tquillen

Re: I Done it!

Congrats on the purchase! Post up pictures when you can.

I just bought my first early truck not long ago myself.....a '69 Chevy longbed, 307/3 on the tree. A lot like your truck! I had never really paid attention to these trucks much, until a friend of mine drove his to a cruise in. It was sorta like the first time you noticed a good looking girl as a kid........
Tquillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:51 PM   #3
71swb4x4

Hmm, your pictures don't seem to be loading...
Old 09-04-2016, 09:25 PM   #4
LongBox

Here's some teasers:
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2016, 09:27 PM   #5
LongBox

And the engine bay:
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2016, 09:35 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Nice. Lookin' very original under the hood.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:40 PM   #7
Tquillen

You've got to be pretty pleased with that!
Tquillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:56 AM   #8
LongBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tquillen View Post
You've got to be pretty pleased with that!
Like you, I did not pay much attention to this generation of Chev/GMC trucks, probably because I had one back in the 70s. I spotted this one while out on a bike ride, and noted that it was a throwback. I happened to be going by last week, and a woman was standing beside the truck. I spoke with her, and she offered it for sale. I had to take the little camper that is mounted on the truck, and it's a nice one, but I plan to get rid of it.

It has a steel bed floor, and I'd have preferred wood, but you buy used, you have to take what you can get.

And yeah, I'm happy to have found it. Will have to spend some time getting dirty to make sure the brakes, suspension, and all that are safe, as I plan on driving this thing.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:22 AM   #9
LongBox

More Photos. You can tell I'm pretty excited to get this truck!
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2016, 04:03 PM   #10
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Nice looking truck. Did she have the tailgate for you?

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
R.I.P. FleetsidePaul
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 04:49 PM   #11
LongBox

Yes, the tailgate is in the house, essentially unused. Went over today to see about tools and supplies to get it fired up. Going to buy a new battery, so needed to see what cables were where. It uses top post battery, and negative is to the right hand side.

Also checked condition of trans fluid, it is nice and red, no burnt smell at all. I think I see a kickdown cable on the left hand side of the Quadrajet, so I guess I only got the TH 350, damn!

Going to measure for 12 Volts at the yellow wire on the coil. If I have that, will remove the fuel inlet filter from the carb, clean it out, spray some carb cleaner on the needle and seat, then crank it so see if any gas comes out of the line. Will also take a small spray bottle of gasoline over, and try spraying a bit down the carb throats while a buddy cranks it. I like to live dangerously...
Old 09-05-2016, 05:20 PM   #12
Joesjunk

Nice truck! I would splash some gas down the carb and fire it up that way. If it's been sitting 2 years it just might take a bit to get the gas flowing again. I would try that before you take a bunch of stuff apart.
72 3/4t 4x4 Custom deluxe
72 3/4t 4x4 Custom deluxe 91k original paint
72 Cheyenne/30 Dually
69 Camaro SS396 4-speed
13 GMC 2500HD Duramax I bought new
05 Jeep Wrangler "Willys Edition" 12k miles (I bought new)
85 3/4 ton 4x4 Scottsdale 33k miles original paint
86 1 ton 4x4 SRW Silverado 454 restored
80 1 ton 4x4 SRW Silverado 9,434 original miles!! original paint
95 GMC 1 ton dually 4x4 my dad bought new
95 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4, regular cab 454, 31k original miles
2002 2500HD 4x4 regular cab 6.0L 67k miles
2002 2500HD 4x4 regular cab 8.1L 28k miles
2003 GMC 2500HD 4x4 regular cab Diesel 93k miles

67-72 Parts for sale
Joesjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:33 PM   #13
Coley

Smile Re: I Done it!

Nice GMC there neighbour....I'm just across the water from you in Victoria.
Lots of information and lots of expertise on this site....and....lots of parts available if you need 'em.
I would consider getting a ps/pb set-up for that....easy to do and will make in town driving a lot nice.
Regardless....great find. Do you have any pics of the camper etc?
All Good

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:41 PM   #14
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Great find on nice original truck.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:00 PM   #15
LongBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
Nice GMC there neighbour....I'm just across the water from you in Victoria.
Lots of information and lots of expertise on this site....and....lots of parts available if you need 'em.
I would consider getting a ps/pb set-up for that....easy to do and will make in town driving a lot nice.
Regardless....great find. Do you have any pics of the camper etc?
All Good

Coley
The truck is parked between a garage and a kind of hedge, so very hard to take pictures. Can't wait to get the beast over to my place, and get to work cleaning the thing. I've been in the camper, and it's really in nice shape. No smells, no signs of any leaks. I'm not a believer in campers on half-tons, but you take life as you find it, I guess.

The truck is so "Grampa",with the 700 X 15 tires, the maintenance instructions felt-penned on the firewall, the battery cut off switch, the box of tools and parts under the seat, and so on. I'll probably not change it much, because is a survivor, and some trucks just deserve to be left as they came out of the factory, paint and all. It has "collector" plates on it now, and I'm hoping to put collector plates on as soon as I can go through the process with the insurance corp.