The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2016, 01:43 AM   #1
RBW

Brake pedal height

My '62 C10 has the CPP power front disk brake conversion. Everything works ok, but the brake pedal is a few inches too high for my taste. Has anyone come up with a good way to lower the pedal height without negative effects on the braking?
RBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:04 AM   #2
jb9281

Re: Brake pedal height

I have the same issue, please let me know what can be done.
jb9281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:17 PM   #3
forestb

I know some people have increased the size of the rubber bumper that the bar that the peddle attaches to rest against so that it sits lower and then shorten the rod that goes to the booster accordingly.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:12 PM   #4
The Rocknrod

That's what doesn't make sense. The brake pedal can't sit higher due to the pedal stop.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:21 PM   #5
jtrichard

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
That's what doesn't make sense. The brake pedal can't sit higher due to the pedal stop.
????????????? It Will sit higher without the bumper .....BUT that is not the question at hand
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:30 PM   #6
RBW

I think forestb is talking about the bumper that cushions the return of the pedal to the fully up position. I could see where a thicker one would lower the pedal's static position.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:46 PM   #7
forestb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBW View Post
I think forestb is talking about the bumper that cushions the return of the pedal to the fully up position. I could see where a thicker one would lower the pedal's static position.
That is exactly what I meant. The problem you might run into when lowering your break peddle is that as your breaks wear out you might run out on peddle travel and you will not be able to fully engage your breaks.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:55 PM   #8
The Rocknrod

The OP said " but the brake pedal is a few inches too high for my taste" How did it ever sit any higher than it was originally?
Old 09-06-2016, 07:02 PM   #9
RBW

Just a guess, but it was originally a non power brake and the pedal for that type of system is sometimes higher than a power brake pedal.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:05 PM   #10
The Rocknrod

Well your easy option would be put a longer bumper on it while shortening you brake pedal push rod.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:12 PM   #11
jtrichard

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Well your easy option would be put a longer bumper on it while shortening you brake pedal push rod.

I think that is what was said in post#3
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:19 PM   #12
forestb

Sorry I can see where my first post might have been a little confusing.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:22 PM   #13
64shortbox

That's exactly what I did. I added a thicker bolt through bumper to get my brake pedal to sit down lower when I went to Power Disc Brakes. As mentioned before I also had to shorten my brake pedal to booster rod. But why stop there? I even picked up a 73 Power Disc Pedal & Pad and grafted it to my 64 Brake pedal. I then even added a suspended gas pedal to match the Power Disc Brake pedal. These darn trucks are never finished. Even if you don't have Power Disc nobody would know that you have drum brakes on all 4 corners. My next mod? Adding a 72 Cadillac Parking Brake Pedal. That way as soon as I drop my truck into Drive or Reverse the parking brake will release automatically. Yes I'm a lazy a$$. One word of advice though if you do add a Caddy parking brake assy. DO NOT do an Emergency Brake U turn with it. I THOUGHT that since the brake released when in dropped into Drive or Reverse it would STAY released the entire time you are in Drive it DOESN'T if you stomp it while driving it stays locked. I had to clean up after myself with a putty knife that day. In picture #3 the 73 pedal is on the left the 64 pedal is on the right. The pedal looks crooked in the pictures but it is level - double checked with my angle finder.
Attached Images

64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:57 PM   #14
luvbowties

Wink Re: Brake pedal height

I think if u look at later models(like 71 and 72) with oem power brakes, you'll find the brake pedal to sit a bit lower than the accelerator pedal. Also, adjusting your stop light can move your pedal down some distance simply enough. I did my '66 this way. Caution: you don't want brakes to be "ridden" all the time after this adjustment.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:45 AM   #15
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64shortbox View Post
That's exactly what I did. I added a thicker bolt through bumper to get my brake pedal to sit down lower when I went to Power Disc Brakes. As mentioned before I also had to shorten my brake pedal to booster rod. But why stop there? I even picked up a 73 Power Disc Pedal & Pad and grafted it to my 64 Brake pedal. I then even added a suspended gas pedal to match the Power Disc Brake pedal. These darn trucks are never finished. Even if you don't have Power Disc nobody would know that you have drum brakes on all 4 corners. My next mod? Adding a 72 Cadillac Parking Brake Pedal. That way as soon as I drop my truck into Drive or Reverse the parking brake will release automatically. Yes I'm a lazy a$$. One word of advice though if you do add a Caddy parking brake assy. DO NOT do an Emergency Brake U turn with it. I THOUGHT that since the brake released when in dropped into Drive or Reverse it would STAY released the entire time you are in Drive it DOESN'T if you stomp it while driving it stays locked. I had to clean up after myself with a putty knife that day. In picture #3 the 73 pedal is on the left the 64 pedal is on the right. The pedal looks crooked in the pictures but it is level - double checked with my angle finder.
That's just too cool.