The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2016, 03:21 PM   #1
66clow

In between paint options

I'm working on the body work on my truck and hope to be done soon but I know it will take some time and money to get it painted. I want to enjoy it a little before the disassembly for paint and take care of maybe some other mechanics, suspension or wheels. I just hate the look of primer Gray or black. What are you all doing in the mean time? I'm considering a fautina with rattle can which I've done on a prior truck or plasti dip as cheap options for now. Let me see what you have done and how you did it.

My fautina on my old 66

66clow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:28 PM   #2
firedemon

Re: In between paint options

some primers can be tinted do a topcoat close to the final color
firedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:31 PM   #3
firedemon

if you get a couple different colors primer you could do pinstripes or graphics and it wouldn't take much to sand it down for the final paint or sand the pinstripes or graphics down with some wetsand for a faux tina look
firedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 05:37 PM   #4
Overdriven

Considering 1/2 of the truck is a different color from the other that makes it a little tough. Doing a fautina would require quite a few rattle cans to get it one color then more to do the fautina. Plus I can't stand rattle can streaks and would rather buy something like one of those cheap paint "systems" from Duplicolor and spray that on it. No idea how that compares to plastidip cost wise or if you have the means to spray from a gun or not though.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:20 PM   #5
66clow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdriven View Post
Considering 1/2 of the truck is a different color from the other that makes it a little tough. Doing a fautina would require quite a few rattle cans to get it one color then more to do the fautina. Plus I can't stand rattle can streaks and would rather buy something like one of those cheap paint "systems" from Duplicolor and spray that on it. No idea how that compares to plastidip cost wise or if you have the means to spray from a gun or not though.
The green side body work is what is left to repair. Plasti dip kit would run about $400. The technique I used on my 66 I sprayed with the cans and then took scotch Brite pads to scuff it to blend the streaks in. So it made the paint smooth and uniform. Probably run $150 or less to rattle can it. Just was looking for for photos of what others have done.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:13 PM   #6
San Diego Ron

The body work is finished on my '71 and about ready to spray epoxy primer/sealer on entire truck...then decide what color/colors to paint. I have enough Crème color left over from painting my 1980 450 SL to paint the top and maybe the bottom 12" or so. The rest could be from a gallon of Orange I have on hand or I could use some of the TWA Red that I have about 8 gallons of. My friend is telling me to take it to Maaco and have it painted the Blue it is now...What fun would that be?
Attached Images

San Diego Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:47 PM   #7
RedRoad

Love the color on your 66, what did you use?
RedRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 01:05 AM   #8
66clow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoad View Post
Love the color on your 66, what did you use?
That's the original color with no clear. The po had just shot it just so the front was one color. That's my next area to sand down since there are some dents and body work in need of repair. Wish all I had to do was paint the bed. I think it is called med green olive. Not sure if I will go back to that or not, I change everyday on color choices.

Looking for some faux tina paint jobs photos.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:32 AM   #9
RedRoad

I was asking about the dark green paing on your 1966 faux job. Thats the original color on my 65 and was wondering if you used rattle can or some other method as it looks pretty good.

If you are going to fauxtina I would try to go as natural as possible. Heavy black primer on hood and fenders, heavy red oxide primer on cab and bed then "wear" through on large areas vs. small sand through areas.

Dont have and 67-72 patina pics but here is the my 65 with original paint/patina except for the tail gate
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2016, 02:44 AM   #10
RedRoad

There are a ton of google images for patina trucks. Not sure how "patina-ed" you want to go

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....0.uxfpsMnF_PU
Old 09-05-2016, 03:18 AM   #11
66clow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoad View Post
I was asking about the dark green paing on your 1966 faux job. Thats the original color on my 65 and was wondering if you used rattle can or some other method as it looks pretty good.

If you are going to fauxtina I would try to go as natural as possible. Heavy black primer on hood and fenders, heavy red oxide primer on cab and bed then "wear" through on large areas vs. small sand through areas.

Dont have and 67-72 patina pics but here is the my 65 with original paint/patina except for the tail gate
Sorry that is the original color on the 66 but found a matching color at Walmart that was almost identical. I didn't spray much on the upper cab part so that was original. I was able to blend it in with the scotch Brite pads. Not sure of the brand. I did a fair amount of body work on the 66, so I rattle canned a good bit of the green.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:36 PM   #12
San Diego Ron

Today got the epoxy primer/sealer on. Now to figure out colors I want, pretty much like to copy this guys Silver (I have), Orange (I have) and White (can have by Monday)
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2016, 10:34 PM   #13
66clow

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Ron View Post
Today got the epoxy primer/sealer on. Now to figure out colors I want, pretty much like to copy this guys Silver (I have), Orange (I have) and White (can have by Monday)
Pretty sweet color combination and two-tone lay out. Is this the only photo you have? Or do you have a link to it?
Old 09-11-2016, 10:09 AM   #14
San Diego Ron

Saw the picture (was only one of this truck) on Facebook. It was the C-10 website.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:50 AM   #15
66clow

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Ron View Post
Saw the picture (was only one of this truck) on Facebook. It was the C-10 website.
Thanks good luck with it should be sweet. Make sure you up date it once painted.