The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2016, 10:39 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Steering wheels and climate

Just a few observations....

Wheel in pic 1 is off my truck. DRY Climate: It has a few hairline cracks, and there's separation in three places (top and below each side of handle). The separation is where the "joints" are located. Interesting how the made these. The wheel "case" looks like 5 pieces counting center. Since 1989 anyway, this wheel has spent 99% of it's life parked in the garage (140K).

Wheel in pic 2 is from Ohio. HUMID Climate: No cracks or separation. The grain is better but the wheel duller than the other, especially along the perimeter. That has me stumped. Perhaps more exposure to the sun, but I'm guessing humidity or even using the wrong item to clean it. Apparently this wheel has been in storage for 20-30 years. It's new to me and I like it a lot. The sheen can be replenished. I hear you can even sand to perfect. Hopefully it doesn't go into climate shock and begin cracking. Nothing like having to choose the better of two cracks ha!.

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:28 AM   #2
joeydurango

Re: Steering wheels and climate

I've had my truck here in our dry climate for nine months now, and the steering wheel is definitely developing new cracks. The PO had a factory wheel on it for some time in more-humid Maryland, and it had one bigger crack. Since arriving in Colorado the climate appears to have enlarged that crack and started a good 4-5 more, and this truck lives in a garage when not driving around. A little bummed, but what can you do?
1976 Trans Am | 455/4-spd | TOTALED
joeydurango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:16 PM   #3
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Good topic here that has been on my mind too. Have several steer wheels in dry NM that i keep out of the sun including a NOS saddle wheel i installed in my green blazer. Ive not noticed any developing cracks. I suspect big swings in temp (like we see in the SW) are a prime cause for cracks. When i park in the sun i put up a reflective shade to help protect the interior from UV exposure and heat.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:57 PM   #4
davepl

When I hear "steering wheel and climate" all I can remember is accidentally banging the back of my knuckles on that hard plastic steering wheel in -40F weather... there's a certain jolt of pain at those temperatures that you just never experience in normal climates!

I always assumed that the cracks were a result of the plastic shrinking as it outgasses over the years. Thus I assumed heat and sun would advance it, not humidity. Are you sure it's not as simple as the Nevada one got a lot more sun so it dried out more and has more cracks?

Not that my guess is any better!
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 02:04 PM   #5
joeydurango

x2 on the sunshade. I like my OG dash pad and seat cover.
1976 Trans Am | 455/4-spd | TOTALED
joeydurango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:45 PM   #6
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydurango View Post
I've had my truck here in our dry climate for nine months now, and the steering wheel is definitely developing new cracks. The PO had a factory wheel on it for some time in more-humid Maryland, and it had one bigger crack. Since arriving in Colorado the climate appears to have enlarged that crack and started a good 4-5 more, and this truck lives in a garage when not driving around. A little bummed, but what can you do?
Crap, I think I hear my steering wheel cracking. Crossing my fingers.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 09-11-2016, 03:50 PM   #7
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
When I hear "steering wheel and climate" all I can remember is accidentally banging the back of my knuckles on that hard plastic steering wheel in -40F weather... there's a certain jolt of pain at those temperatures that you just never experience in normal climates!

I always assumed that the cracks were a result of the plastic shrinking as it outgasses over the years. Thus I assumed heat and sun would advance it, not humidity. Are you sure it's not as simple as the Nevada one got a lot more sun so it dried out more and has more cracks?

Ha ha, I remember that when it was more a driver.

I'd think sun exposure MIGHT dull it more, but I can't really say. I HOPE you're correct. Maybe I don't hear my steering wheel cracking. Come to think of it, the wheel does see some sunlight from the garage window. Interesting. Maybe I need to cover the wheel with the dash board.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:08 PM   #8
In The Ten Ring

My truck's steering wheel has about the same cracks as the wheel in pic 1. It spent its first 20 years sitting outside and being driven in the WV climate.

The cracks seem to have stabilized and the truck has been sitting inside a garage for the last 20 years.

I think keeping it out of the sun is key to preventing cracks, the interior of a vehicle heats rapidly and to a great extent in the sun and then cools again at night. Most materials expand when heated and contract when cooled (water is an exception), I think the constant stress of those fluctuations cause the plastic of the wheels to crack.

I'd like to have a series of white panels I could place on the inside of the windows when a vehicle is parked in the sun. That would reflect most light and keep the interior cool.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:11 PM   #9
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post

I believe you! I once skied in minus 20 degrees temperatures...it was a painful experience I am not eager to repeat.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:00 PM   #10
57taskforce
All about them K’s

The original olive wheel on my K/20 appears to be factory to my truck and its full of major cracks. The truck came from Utah. I've got a very nice or black wheel that im going to put in it with a tilt column. The black wheel has only one small crack. It came from Washington state about a year and a half ago. It's been inside my house in a box and has not developed any new cracks. I always figured it was the UV that did them in.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0

Last edited by 57taskforce; 09-11-2016 at 05:08 PM.
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:42 PM   #11
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
My truck's steering wheel has about the same cracks as the wheel in pic 1. It spent its first 20 years sitting outside and being driven in the WV climate.

The cracks seem to have stabilized and the truck has been sitting inside a garage for the last 20 years.

I think keeping it out of the sun is key to preventing cracks, the interior of a vehicle heats rapidly and to a great extent in the sun and then cools again at night. Most materials expand when heated and contract when cooled (water is an exception), I think the constant stress of those fluctuations cause the plastic of the wheels to crack.

I'd like to have a series of white panels I could place on the inside of the windows when a vehicle is parked in the sun. That would reflect most light and keep the interior cool.
The cracks in mine seem to have stabilized as well. Could be because it's seen say 100 hours sunlight since 1997
Old 09-11-2016, 06:51 PM   #12
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: Steering wheels and climate

A alternative to the wheel if your not a purist.

I had both hands operated on several years ago for carpal tunnel. My doctor then said to keep my grip as loose as I could to keep from having problems later on in life. So with that in mind I did a leather wrap on my 66 SS steering wheel to make it more comfortable for me on long trips.
It's a direct bolt in also.
Yea I need to take it back a part and straighten the leather out better. Just haven't taken the time to do it.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:06 PM   #13
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Your seats might be more comfortable as well. Nice looking interior.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:10 PM   #14
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Steering wheels and climate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Your seats might be more comfortable as well. Nice looking interior.
Yes they are very. 6 way electric with Lumbar and heat!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:59 PM   #15
68bowtie

interesting, i never pieced that together, but i've had a couple 69-72 trucks that sat in VERY dry climates for decades, found to have very little rust overall, but significant steering wheel cracks. the one under a tree for most of those years had very good color, just wide cracks, the wheel that was in full sun was practically pulvarized.

Survivor "Lil’ Mint" (67 c10 40k mile light green original paint)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh) SOLD
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh) SOLD
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote