The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2016, 10:01 AM   #1
Rust-O-Matic

One brake light doesn't work when head/parking lights are on. Ideas?

Hi guys, I just finished rewiring most of my '66 with the AAW factory style harnesses. I did the entire cab, under dash including new factory type fuse box, all new switches including turn signal switch inside the column, and all the harnesses that go from the firewall forward to the engine/sensors, etc. I also replaced all of the lights front and rear (housings, lenses, sockets, bezels, the whole shebang with new ones from Brothers Trucks).

I went to test my lights one at a time and the following stuff works:
headlights
parking lamps front & rear
turn signals left and right, front and rear
brake lights when the pedal is pushed
backup lights when the shifter is in reverse

The problem is....
When I turn the headlights (and/or parking lights) on, the passenger side brake light just goes black when I press the pedal. Driver side brake light works fine. With the head/parking lights still on, I turned on the turn signal and both sides work just fine.

Anybody have any idea what the hell to check here? Maybe a weird ground issue or something? Seems unlikely since they work the rest of the time. Since brake and turn use the same filament, I would think that if one works they both should. Also seems like if the brake lights both work with the headlights off, they should both work when they are turned on as well. I'm totally stumped.
Rust-O-Matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:33 AM   #2
bpmcgee

Re: One brake light doesn't work when head/parking lights are on. Ideas?

Weird problems like that are often a POOR ground. To test it, pull the socket loose from the truck and run a wire from the body of the socket directly to the negative side of the battery and repeat your test. If it works, you've got a weak connection (usually rust) somewhere between the socket and the battery.

B
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:56 AM   #3
scoot_mcgrute

I had a similar issue on my Chevy in high school and it ended up being the socket. Had to go through a few of them before I found one that lasted.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:33 PM   #4
Rust-O-Matic

Thanks for the quick response guys. The clips/screw retainers that hold my new backup lights in had to be sanded clean because they wouldn't make a ground, now that you mention it. So if the tail light attachment is in similar shape, maybe it just isn't making a good ground either. I'll take em back out, clean em up, and report back first chance I get.
Rust-O-Matic is offline   Reply With Quote