The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2004, 04:13 PM   #1
8t5Silverado
Mudslides 'r my specialty

OT: Do ur friends & family think you are weird

Most of my friends and family think I am retarded for:

1) Restoring an old chevy work truck (replacing body panels and fixing rust)

2) Restoring a 1985 vehicle (not a classic)

3) Lowering a truck period

I don't know anyone who thinks this is a good idea, let alone willing to help me install suspension parts.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/500339
8t5Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 04:27 PM   #2
Russell
Professional Grade

There are hundreds of us here who are standing behind you with your restoration I know the feeling though, my family wants me to sell my 80 and buy something newer with a good engine and stuff in it, but I won't sell the GMC, I love that truck.

Honestly, just wait till you are done, then you can show them just how worth it is to restore this old beasts

I'm sure there is a board member or two nearby that can help you with your suspension work!
Old 03-17-2004, 04:27 PM   #3
Gibble
mmmm....Rye and Coke

I agree...lowering a truck is crazy!

As for restoring an 80's truck.

I had the same kind of criticism from friends (my father understood, helped do the work...in return, I help on his '66 'Stang 'Vert)

Now that it's looking a million times better, most of my friends understand...and when I get the 425 BBO installed, the ones that don't catch on yet will
Gibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 04:27 PM   #4
Grim Reaper

I guess I'm certifiable under those constraints. I put a truck back together and then dropped thousands of dollars into it. I only paid $1 for the truck. LOL.

Then I take it in the woods and rub it down large rocks that scratch the sides 4 ft off the ground.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 04:32 PM   #5
Prerunner1982

my father is accepting of it, step mom is scheptical, wife likes it, and other friends are into too.. now as far as my particular truck goes.. yeah people think i am crazy.. a big tired 2wd, with all the off road equipement a 4x4 would need.... oh well.. they will get over it when they call me to get them out..
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 05:02 PM   #6
Russell
Professional Grade

hehehe, my father understands too, he used to restore 2nd gen camaros, but he wants me to save my money and restore everything later. So I'm just gonna do my bodywork, and build my engine for now, no frame off for me until I find a Blazer to drive and can afford to do it

My Grandparents still can't believe I am actually going through with the project, they think I'm crazy restoring the GM -- Though they are proud.

My uncle, also the guy who bought the truck is very excited about me restoring the truck, and the rest of my family simply accepts it

Its my friends at school who think I'm nuts, as they drive their rotted out 90s imports. All the muscle car and truck guys understand what it'll be eventually with the engine I have planned, just think its an ugly peice at the moment, lol

There is another girl at school who has a late 70's Chevy 1/2 ton who likes my truck. So its all good
Old 03-17-2004, 05:13 PM   #7
bpmcgee

Some people think I'm goofy for doing what I'm doing, but it makes sense to them when I explain my criteria:

1) 4wd.
2) Large cargo area
3) Under $10k (must pay cash)
4) Must be able to be maintened by me.

With those criteria, '70s and '80s GMs just make sense! And also there are those who agree that these trucks look cool!

Brian
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 06:31 PM   #8
TIMSPEED

Hmm, I guess this doesn't apply to me...because
1.) My truck was my dad's
2.) My truck is a 75 (Considered a Classic now)

However, my truck DOES look like junk right now, and everyone said I should just trash it and get a new truck. BUT, now that the new motor is in it, and soon the bodywork is done, they'll understand
Old 03-17-2004, 06:58 PM   #9
rolson1039

First off people who think others who are retarded usually are shallow and stupid and above all IGNORANT. People who are retarded are disabled mentally and should not be made fun of, i mean heck if we need to be aware of offensive remarks to those of us who have relatives who have or who have passed on from AIDS or other diseases i think we should make it abundantly clear that picking on people with mental defects should also be deemed offensive. I have a brother who is institutionalized because he was borm mentally retarded, due to lack of oxygen to the brain at birth, that is a retarded person, and its not any kind of a slur, as someone who does not fit into some kind of preconcieved mold as one percieves as normal,or one who is unconventional in their tastes in trucks, music,or other choices in life ; its a medical condition. so no I dont think you or anyone else who restores old trucks or cars is retarded, no matter if the truck is a chevy , ford, dodge, studebaker or desoto. I am restoring a 76 with my son; its not a classic or anything, that doesnt make me any better or worse than anyone else, its my choice and ill gladly be happy to explain that to anyone who differs with my opinion.
as to lowering YOUR truck hey thats YOUR thing it is not my taste, and i dont really appreciate lowered trucks but hey YOU have to drive it YOU have to pay for it and YOU have to deal with it so if YOU like it then that, my friend is YOUR choice and YOURS alone. If thats is what floats yourboat then do it and in plain english if others dont like it then to hell with them, as long as youre happy with it.
ya know i admire anyone who does any work to their own trucks, even if it aint my taste at least they are doing something that is constructive, gives them satisfaction and in some cases pleases others; its an art form and heyya gotta appreciate the effort even if you dont appreciate the work itself

:::steps off soap box now::::

<edit> and im sure if you decided to make the road trip ( and brought the beer) plenty of members here would gladly help you work on your truck, myself included
Old 03-17-2004, 07:01 PM   #10
shavedchevy

I guess I'm considered "retarded" by some and my truck is considered "a waste of money" but all I say is wait until it's finished.

But in the end, all the name calling will be worth it when you drive by people and they can't take their eye of of you.

Not a classic now, but by the time most of us are completely finished, they will be:metal
Old 03-17-2004, 07:45 PM   #11
toytruck
5-7 dropped 87 CC Dually

I tell them its 42,000 for a new one and I'll have about 4500 into this one. Insurance is cheaper and will get more looks than a new one.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:51 PM   #12
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I'm with you!! and my wife is first in line thinking we are all NUTS. But she lets me do my thing, so I'll keep her.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 10:37 PM   #13
cochran63

You should have seen the faces of my friends when i traded my 94 chevy for my 85.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:37 PM   #14
cochran63

You should have seen the faces of my friends when i traded my 94 chevy for my 85.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:54 PM   #15
Blue Beard

People and friends quit thinking it along time ago.............I opened my mouth and proved it.....
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 10:55 PM   #16
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

hey Bob, i like you, you're a great guy. you've also got alot of good info to contribute to the board. but, shut up and lighten up. dont take everything so literally, you know just as well as i do that nothing was meant by the comment in question.

back on topic, yes, my dad thinks i'm crazy for taking a complete, one owner truck, and hacking it to pieces. i would have just bought a complete SWB K10 if i could find one around here that was worth buying. most of them around here the bodies are dripping off the frames, so naturally, since i have a good cab and clip, i'm going to use it.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 11:56 PM   #17
Devil'S Ride

Most think Im crazy...Ive done too many projects to stop now tho....an they all know that I will succeed.....but if you think about it, the project is never really "done" there is always new ideas and tricks that you will just have to try, or something new comes across your mind....that is what all the fun is about.....never really being "done"!!!

1983 ONE TON 454/400/208 11" of lift on 44's
Devil'S Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 12:05 AM   #18
Gibble
mmmm....Rye and Coke

Quote:
Originally posted by cochran63
Well I *had* a '94 Mustang ... then this fellow -> , caused a chain of events that left it looking like this fellow's forehead ->

I miss

So now I drive a '91 Crapalier while I fix up my truck and my '63 Meteor and Fairlane

And when I get my 425 BBO in the truck these fellows -> will change into these fellows -> after a little
Gibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 12:12 AM   #19
lofat
Rollin' Member

Re: OT: Do ur friends & family think you are weird

i think most of my friends get it. my family (immediate) get it - even know they are on the other coast. the only people who i think don't get it are co-workers. most of the people where i work are in later model cars at least in the office where i work. a few of the guys in the warehouse are into older rides by choice, and there are 2 other 73-87 cats doing restro currently.

i see a little classism on the road.

i don't know about other places, can only assume it's the same most places - but i always feel like people think you drive the most you can afford, which is pretty shallow, and i don't really care what people think about me, it just annoys me that people think that way.

i think once the ride is restored people give you more love, because then even they can "see" the beauty in it.... to a degree anyway. personally i just like older cars. i might buy something just because i like it as is. with the only fixin' up i do is get a new air freshener, change the oil, and get a new window crank to replace the broken one.

i did the new car thing, a while back, and while it was cool i never felt as safe as i do in an older vehicle and i missed getting my hands dirty.

lotsa lowered rides out here it's pretty much the norm i prolly get more looks from heads for keeping my sh*t stock height.

lofat productions
lofat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 06:29 PM   #20
8t5Silverado
Mudslides 'r my specialty

Quote:
Originally posted by 1FaastC10
hey Bob, i like you, you're a great guy. you've also got alot of good info to contribute to the board. but, shut up and lighten up. dont take everything so literally, you know just as well as i do that nothing was meant by the comment in question.
rolson1039,

Obviously I didn't mean to offend anyone and I absolutely agree with 1faastC10. In fact, I found 113 posts on this board that use the same word in the same context. On top of that, you replied to at least one of them without incident (the windshield decal post). I think you know that I didn't mean anything by it. I too have family members with similar situations, and am very proud of the lives they lead. My cousin is proud just to have a job where he can work everyday, even though he doesn't have to. So let's keep it lighthearted and fun, ok.

Back to the topic:

I think these are good looking trucks that will be classics soon enough, so why not build one now while they are still relatively inexpensive (like second gen F-bodies were until recently).

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/500339
8t5Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 07:42 PM   #21
apstguy
LED King

I tell people I'm replacing the tranny in it and they say "Why don't you sell it instead"? I say "I'll never sell it! I love it!" They say back "Why? Your insane..."

1985 C10 305 w/ Bowtie OD TH700R4 3.42 LSD 202,000 miles
2006 Ford Focus ZX3 5-speed Stick
2016 Chevy Spark EV
Gone: 2002.5 VW GTI 24v VR6
Gone: 2008 VW R32
apstguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 08:00 PM   #22
Low87on20s
Live from Atlanta

Yeah, my neighbors don't understand why I still have the 87 hibernating in the garage. They consistantly ask me when I plan on selling the "old" truck.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:22 PM   #23
Matt_305

My dad and brother support me, my mother's always hated the truck. My guy friends like it but no girl's like it including my g/f, say it's ugly