The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2016, 10:01 AM   #1
2B32

E-Brake Options?

The previous owner pulled out all the parking brake components to put on a body lift. I have since lowered the truck to stock height. Are there any options outside of replacing the entire parking brake assembly to keep my truck from rolling when parked; line lock, trans brake, etc??
2B32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:28 PM   #2
Overdriven

Re: E-Brake Options?

Line lock would require constant electrical power to the solenoid to stay engaged. Trans brake would be the same deal and isn't any better than just putting it in park. A trans brake actually engages reverse and drive at the same time so you don't have to foot brake it on the starting line.

You could replace the entire assembly, substitute a different E-brake pedal/handle assembly from another vehicle as well. There's also hydraulic hand brakes that plumb into the brake lines. These are generally for drifters and don't have a lock to keep them engaged but some do.

Last edited by Overdriven; 09-13-2016 at 12:42 PM.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:35 PM   #3
biketopia

could install an electric e brake. What all was removed...every cable, hanger, connection, pedal or hand lever? What year truck, they had different set ups in the cab over the years. Is it a manual or auto trans?

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:47 PM   #4
Overdriven

The more I think about it I'd just go back to stock. Place a "Wanted" ad on the board, there's guys parting these things out that I'm sure will come up with almost everything needed.

Unless you're doing buckets with a console going with a hand brake style would look weird. Adapting a foot pedal style from another truck would require fabrication to mount it. Stock sounds much easier.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:41 PM   #5
2B32

Quote:
Originally Posted by biketopia View Post
could install an electric e brake. What all was removed...every cable, hanger, connection, pedal or hand lever? What year truck, they had different set ups in the cab over the years. Is it a manual or auto trans?
It's a 71 K20 with 4 spd manual. Everything is missing expect the pedal in the cab; no lines, connectors, brackets, nothing. I don't even know if I have the internals in the brake drums to hook up the lines.
2B32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:52 PM   #6
biketopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdriven View Post
The more I think about it I'd just go back to stock. Place a "Wanted" ad on the board, there's guys parting these things out that I'm sure will come up with almost everything needed.

Unless you're doing buckets with a console going with a hand brake style would look weird. Adapting a foot pedal style from another truck would require fabrication to mount it. Stock sounds much easier.
That's a good idea, I'm sure a lot of people can hook him up with what he needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B32 View Post
It's a 71 K20 with 4 spd manual. Everything is missing expect the pedal in the cab; no lines, connectors, brackets, nothing. I don't even know if I have the internals in the brake drums to hook up the lines.
Having the pedal in the cab is a good start, sounds like you just need a set of cables. I'd be very surprised if the lever in the drum is gone, it's been a while since I've been in mine but I'm pretty sure it also acts on the equalizer bar for proper operation. Look on LMC's website, they have good exploded diagrams of systems. Then you can see what your missing, there really is just a few cables and hangers. Shouldn't be hard to source.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote