The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2004, 11:17 AM   #1
76bonanza

Speedo problems

I have had speedo problems since day one. Threw out cruize control box and got a single cable helped alot lubed the cable help alot but now I have a new problem.

I have a very fast bounce almost a vibration about 3 mile hour bounce thru the intire speed range. Also it will not return to zero when I stop unless I pound on the dash.

What are my options can I rebuild it? Get a new one? Any where to get good used ones? I have seen them on ebay but my end up with one worse then the one I have.

Thanks
76bonanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 12:24 PM   #2
Grim Reaper

If your having to pound on the dash then it sounds like the workings are hanging and causing all your problems. Just double check the cable for binds and un plug it from the back of the speedo and the trasmission and make sure it's fully seated.

Try to verify that nothing is broke off in the transmission drive. GM ran a lot of gear deals to adjust the speedo for the rear ends instead of changing the drive in the tail shaft. I had one lock up and snap off in the drive. Could not fish it out and had to replace it. If there was something stuck in there it miigh cause the cable to press into the back of the speedometer too hard.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 11:34 AM   #3
76bonanza

Well no luck cable seems lubed fine only thing I can do is pull the speedo and look at it? Any suggestions on what to look for?

Also how far should the cable be inserted into speedo? I think it maybe in to far? It has a stop on it so it will not work its way out from that stop how long should the cable be?
Old 03-19-2004, 12:34 PM   #4
76bonanza

Ok found problem cable is inserting to far into speedo. I pulled it out and just barly inserted it and it worked fine but can not leave it like that our it will fall out.

How much and how should I trim the insert cable?
Old 03-19-2004, 03:46 PM   #5
dswancutt

I just tore into my speedometer last night on my 78 K-10 and my cable has a bushing at the speedometer end that keeps everything at the proper spacing. Not sure this helps you any. I had to replace my speedometer because it was boucing around. I bought entire clusters off eBay.

Doug
dswancutt is offline   Reply With Quote