The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-17-2016, 10:08 PM   #1
OlSmokey

72' C10 Carb Problems

Hey there guys, so I have tried to do as much research that I can, but I can't find the right answer for my problems I'm having with my carb. To give some reference, it's a rebuilt chevy sb 350 motor, and it has an edelbrock carb on it, i think it is the 1403 series, Okay I'll get right into the problems.

If the truck has been sitting more than 24 hours it is extremely hard to start. It takes maybe 5 or 6 clicks of 5 seconds each to finally get it to fire up. and it does have the electric choke

When the truck first starts up, until it's to normal operating temperature, if i press on the throttle more than maybe 40%, it loses power and the RPM's go down and it sounds like it's about to stall.

and finally when It is at operating temp, if I go full throttle, it seems like it's a wave, it has a second or two of full power, and then a second or two of losing power.

I know some of you veterans will be able to diagnose this pretty quickly so I was hoping to come to the right place . I'm not the best with this kind of carb stuff, I am 19 and still learning, but I have done a lot so I sort of know my way around, i just really don't know if it's too lean or too rich, if i knew that i think i could fix it, but i don't know how to diagnose it... Thanks guys!
OlSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:42 PM   #2
franken

Re: 72' C10 Carb Problems

Well, first. 72' means 72 feet. '72 means you've deleted the first two digits. Which do you mean?

For a hard start, go out when its going to display the problem, take the air cleaner off and look down the carb while opening the throttle. Do you see the accel pump shooting gas? If yes, give it a few pumps before cranking--you need to learn to start your carbed vehicle. They have personality. You have to rub it right to get it going; the next one may be different. Sound familiar?

With today's water soaked gas, you may need to pull the carb apart, clean, rebuild, and tune it.

You may want to check the tune of the engine in general; who says its all the carb's fault? Finally, pull some plugs and look at them. There must be 100k posts on the internet about reading plugs.

At 19 you should be able to google carb or engine tuning, or hard start, or flat spot...
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:47 PM   #3
geezer#99

First thing you do with an eddy carb is install a fuel regulator set at 5 psi.
Eddy carbs don't function with more pressure than that.
Like this.
https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...2518/overview/

And since your fuel is likely boiling off you need a carb spacer/insulator.
Like this.
http://www.tdotperformance.ca/mr-gas...FYKHfgodczIF_w
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 01:08 AM   #4
1969c10joe

geezer is right about psi for edelbrock. I have acheap mr gasket regulator. thinking about holley electric fuel gauge goes in cab . get a reg or check fuel pressure
1969c10joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 01:12 AM   #5
OlSmokey

Okay thanks for the advice everyone. And franken, I know that older carbed cars have more of a personality and they can be harder to start, but this is a relatively new occurrence, and also this is the only vehicle I've ever owned so I think it'd know a thing or two about the little tricks haha, but I will take the things you guys told me and try them out tomorrow. Thanks!
OlSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 01:57 PM   #6
1969c10joe

next time you coldstart it check and make sure your choke is closed all the way
1969c10joe is offline   Reply With Quote