The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2014, 11:16 AM   #26
mcbassin
Still Learning

Re: 67 Shorty Stepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakcrew View Post
Well yesterday I started on the newest driver door that I have. I took this one home with me so not working at the shop this week. I got most of the rot cut out of it on the bottom and need to finish trimming up the speaker hole for filling, but making progress again feels good. I am hoping to have the door finished up this week and then maybe try some fitting of it over thee weekend. Oh this is moving way to slow for me, but I am doing most of the work and it is very rewarding knowing the effort involved! come on motivation keep going.....
Sounds like you are making progress. I know how time consuming it is to fix the rust. I think I spent like 3 months just on rust repair of my cab. It will be worth it in the end. Especially when you can say you did it yourself. Now, how about some pictures?.....
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:32 AM   #27
Dakcrew

I know that pics have been missing from this thread and I am getting better at taking them as I work, sort of.... The last pics that I have are from the initial work on the inner rocker. Please be kind as I am still learning to weld and I know they look like crap. also am thinking that I may have to replace the floor on the driver side as I try to weld to it and keep burning thru due to thin metal and welding skills. enough talk on to the pics!
Front under the A pillar:

Back under the B pillar:

Since these have been taken I got the front kick piece replaced and the bottom of the B pillar in place as well as cleaned up the welds on the rocker itself. Hopefully tonight I can get to work on the door some more and get some pics of that as well. Let me know what you think.
Dakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:00 AM   #28
Dakcrew

New Update! Last night I completed the rust removal of door #2. got all the nasty bits out of the bottom and squared up the speaker hole.

About where I started. (forgot to take a pic at the beginning...

After cutting the rust out I was left with this as a door...

Also had a rust spot on the front skin in the corner:

Once that was all cut out I hit the whole piece with a wire brush to remove what rust I could and then shot it with a cost of Rustoleum Rust Converter.

Now tonight I hope to get the replacement panel cut and tacked in place. I do have a question though. when I cut the new panel should I cut it as 2 pieces (one to fill the speaker hole and another for the bottom) or as 1 whole piece? am leaning towards 2 pieces, but wanted to get some input on best approach to prevent warping.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:57 AM   #29
Dakcrew

Well, it has been a year since I got this thing started and I have finally moved onto the passenger side of the cab and rust repair. I have completed the driver side rocker replacement the driver A and B pillar replacement and also the cab corner. I still need to weld in the rocker itself, but all of the inner structure has been completed and I am pretty happy with it. There are some poor welds and such and a dent on the back of the cab where things didn't line up well, but am thinking that since things are solid again I might use a little more filler in that spot to level it out. will see later.

I also tore into the passenger side and found that it is in much better shape than the driver side was! I was surprised to say the least because the floor just inside the inner rocker in nearly gone! The A and B pillar are nearly perfect except for some minimal pitting and the metal of the inner rocker is really nice! Shame I have to cut it all out to get the flooring replaced... plan is to save the A and B pillars and work around them best I can.

I will have pics up later, just wanted people to know that I have not given up on this and am getting back into it again.

Oh yeah, by the way I picked up another truck over the Memorial Weekend holiday. '73 fleet long bed. Was my wife's grandfathers truck since new and it is a lot of fun to drive been spending some of my time getting it road worthy again after sitting for 10+ years. should have pics of it up soon as well.

Until then, Laterz
Old 08-14-2014, 10:22 AM   #30
Dakcrew

So, here are a couple pics of the latest progress. Let me know what you think!

And then the passenger side and how much better shape it is in. Still have to remove the inner rocker, but A and B pillar are remarkable!

Sad thing is, you can still see the original primer on parts of the inner rocker and most of it is incredibly solid. Most of the rust damage is where the outer/inner rocker meet and in the back of the cab where the jack would be. they are nearly gone!
Old 08-28-2014, 10:23 AM   #31
Dakcrew

Made some more progress on the passenger side rockers. I got the inner rocker all welded in and cleaned up. over the weekend. I had to do some tweaking of the back in order to keep the holes lined up with those that were on the truck, but I think that it turned out ok.

I was also able to get the A and B pillar placed back into the truck cab yesterday. I ended up replacing the B pillar piece because of some rust on the back side of it, but was able to use the original A pillar piece as it was really solid just pitted a bit.

Still not the best at welding, but much of this will be covered up by the outer rocker so I am not too worried about it.

crappy cell pic, but you get the jist of what's going on here. And finally an over all shot:

Still need to do the cab corner as it was rusted thru, but I have it cut already and just need to fit it in. I am hoping to be able to hang the door and get the outer rocker in place over the weekend. if that happens it will be the first time that this cab has seen a door in a bit over a year!
Old 09-02-2014, 10:49 AM   #32
Dakcrew

Well, made a bit more progress over the long weekend. not nearly as much as I had hoped, but progress is progress at this point! I got the passenger cab corner burned cut and burned in and temporarily hung the door with the outer rocker just held in place with clamps.

I am very pleased with the results so far and it was really good to see the door hanging (even if only temporary). It is the frist time the door has been near the cab in over a year! One overall shot as I stood and looked at the progress for longer than I should have.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:22 AM   #33
mcbassin
Still Learning

Very nice progress on the cab. You are about to have the rust whipped!
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:13 PM   #34
mooseknuckles

nice work!...seems everyone is doing rust repair on their cabs lately? myself included...
mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:21 PM   #35
Dakcrew

Thanks guys. it is very encouraging to see things coming back together even if I have to take them apart again.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:29 PM   #36
Dakcrew

Well it has been a while again since I posted, but have been slowly plugging away at more rust. I managed to get the entire floor cut out in the passenger area and then weld in a repair panel. I also managed to cut the new panel short on the tunnel side so had to get the stretcher out... This experience is full of lessons I tell ya!

Also managed to finish removing the guts of the cab including the heater, control, wiper motor, and last of the old insulation. Realized that the original color is nearly the same as the '73 that we have and was planning on using for this truck. That was pretty cool. will post up new pics of the floor in a couple of days and then get to work on the driver side floor. Oh Goody!!! more rust repair.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:57 PM   #37
Dakcrew

Oh man has it been a long time since I posted anything! I have been away from the truck for the last 9 months due to health and have not been able to get any work done on it. very disappointing!!! I managed to get the passenger side buttoned up, minus the outer rocker, and the driver floor cut out but not much else.

since I have not been able to get after this and desperately want to get it on the road I am looking at having the rest of the metalwork on the cab done for me. with that said anyone know of a good repair shop that I can take the cab to and they can complete the metalwork? in the Portland Oregon area?

Thanks,

Joel K
Old 09-24-2016, 01:47 AM   #38
swamp rat

This place in Eugene Or. http://metalworksclassics.com/ They did a build here on the forum. Probably not cheap but quality work.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=675170

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...ged-lsa-engine

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote