The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2016, 09:00 PM   #1
72_K10_Vegas

3D Printing and Our Trucks

Gents,

I am doing what most would call a resto-mod. A little back story,

I grew up in Southern Oregon in a Chevy Dealership family. My Granddad opened his first Chevy Dealership in Tule Lake California in the '30s and ended up in Ashland Oregon. I have a special affinity for the 67-72 Chevy Truck. I am planning to eventually upload all the steps we have taken in restoring the truck soon, as I am almost finished.

I have added upgrades to my 72 K-10 that make it more useful for the tasks I am planning for the truck. So it is in no way original.

One of the modifications was the addition of AC to a non AC factory truck. I needed a spot for the Dakota Digital Controller of the Vintage Air AC. Not being a smoker, I determined to use that space for the controller and use the original spot, the control by wire heater / defrost for the center AC vent.

The world we live in and technology available to us is amazing. I scanned the whole dash recently as well as the original ash tray cover plate. A 3D print, some trial and error metal work and I will have the perfectly fitted plate installed in the near future.

My question, or my thought is if any of the other Board Members has thought of reproducing some of the hard to find parts our trucks have.

Just a Friday night musing,,,
Old 09-23-2016, 09:39 PM   #2
flashed

Re: 3D Printing and Our Trucks

A radio delete plate w/ clips would be nice ,the originals are getting hard to come by .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:05 AM   #3
hewittca

Re: 3D Printing and Our Trucks

That sounds like a great idea! What did you use to scan the dash and what printer do you plan on using? I do a lot of plastic extrusion and solution based printing at work, but I have yet to print anything for the truck.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote