The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2016, 09:02 PM   #1
Mike-P

C10 Brake Booster

Hey guys,

I installed a brake booster on my truck earlier today. I was told it worked by the person I got it from who repainted it and gave it to me when they sold the truck. I attached the vacuum line on the front of the manifold. Put everything on and the braking doesn't seem to be much easier than when I just had the master.

Do you think that this could be a faulty booster or perhaps the brake needs to be adjusted? I almost have it fully extended with leaving about 6-7 threads on the adapter.

A bit stumped here. (Did the typical youtube tests and it doesn't seem to be getting any stiffer when stepping on the pedal after vehicle operation).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
Mike-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:55 PM   #2
everettelane

Re: C10 Brake Booster

To be clear did you remove the master cylinder and now the pedal goes to the floor and does not pump up, or did you just add the vacuum booster and the pedal is still hard to push like with manual brakes? I would check the vacuum pressure and maybe use a hand held vac pump like mighty vac it should take between 18 to 22 in of vacuum to operate the diaphragm.
everettelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:04 PM   #3
Mike-P

I removed the master cylinder from the wall, installed the booster on the wall and installed the master cylinder onto the booster. It is still hard to push like manual brakes. I was told I didn't have to bleed the brakes as this was already done by the former owner recently...

I'll have to measure the vacuum pressure. Thanks for your message.

-Mike
Old 09-21-2016, 10:32 PM   #4
everettelane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-P View Post
I removed the master cylinder from the wall, installed the booster on the wall and installed the master cylinder onto the booster. It is still hard to push like manual brakes. I was told I didn't have to bleed the brakes as this was already done by the former owner recently...

I'll have to measure the vacuum pressure. Thanks for your message.

-Mike
if the booster can't hold vacuum it probably has a hole in it or dryrot and will not improve the pedal feel.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:20 AM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: C10 Brake Booster

Booster test.
With motor off put foot on brake then start the truck does the brake pedal go further down? If so the booster is working as it should. If not check the booster.
Did you check to see if the rod inside the booster is coming into contact with the master cylinder plunger. Some times you have to add a spacer.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 03:39 PM   #6
Mike-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Booster test.
With motor off put foot on brake then start the truck does the brake pedal go further down? If so the booster is working as it should. If not check the booster.
Did you check to see if the rod inside the booster is coming into contact with the master cylinder plunger. Some times you have to add a spacer.

Hi Andy,

Was going to do that exact check today. If it isn't contacting, can you buy the spacer from your local autoparts store?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2016, 05:02 PM   #7
Mike-P

So I took off the Master Cylinder to check this today and appears that it is coming out enough. In fact, the pedal was able to move further(1.5-2") after removing the Master. I also made sure the check valve was still working.

The booster worked smoothly and effortlessly once the master cylinder was off. But, I do understand there was nearly no resistance with the master cylinder disconnected.

At this point, I think it may be low vacuum pressure(Which is my next test), faulty booster, or perhaps I somehow kinked or altered the master cylinder lines when installing the booster.

-Mike
Old 09-22-2016, 06:23 PM   #8
Mike-P

She's pulling between 16-17 inches of vacuum at idle. So, it leads be to believe the brake booster must be at the end of its life since the manual brakes were working fine before installing the booster.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:42 PM   #9
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: C10 Brake Booster

Quote:
Hi Andy,

Was going to do that exact check today. If it isn't contacting, can you buy the spacer from your local autoparts store?
Posted via Mobile Device
That I'm not sure of. I have herd of people making them though.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:14 PM   #10
Mike-P

Picked up a new booster this afternoon and turns out the used one I had was faulty. 👌 Brakes work great
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2016, 11:47 PM   #11
everettelane

Quote:
Picked up a new booster this afternoon and turns out the used one I had was faulty. 👌 Brakes work great
Posted via Mobile Device
Persistence is the key, Glad you got it!!