The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2016, 12:25 PM   #1
Deer_hunter_088

Roof lights?

So yesterday as i was prepping to primer my dr. side door, i noticed on my roof there were these lil holes, and they were drilled, and had caulk in em, so i pulled the caulk off, and it appears to be roof lights, anyone know how the heck youd put em on if i got a set, or should i just silicone it shut and dont mind.

Made in the USA, just like my trucks
Deer_hunter_088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:35 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Roof lights?

There are holes in your roof from screws and the hole to let the wire through, but no raised pods? You would need to get the same type as before to use the exact same holes. If you decide to reseal them, don't use silicone. Paint won't stick to that crap.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:05 AM   #3
Deer_hunter_088

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
There are holes in your roof from screws and the hole to let the wire through, but no raised pods? You would need to get the same type as before to use the exact same holes. If you decide to reseal them, don't use silicone. Paint won't stick to that crap.
theres only one hole per thing, not a second.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:15 AM   #4
jocko

I'd look into the spacing and positioning of the existing holes - if you can buy a set of Yankee cab roof lights and use one of the existing holes per light and it works out, drill the 2nd hole and mount em up. Odds are the existing holes are not in the right place, in which case you could assess whether the RIGHT place would cover the existing hole with the Yankee light - that would be ok too, you'd just have to drill new holes for the Yankees in the right spots. Although factory fireman's hat cab lights technically could be mounted on a flush roof - they are really designed for mounting to a raised pad roof. Yankees are mentioned because they were designed to be added to a flush roof via aftermarket. Only way to fill existing holes correctly is to weld em up.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:25 AM   #5
Deer_hunter_088

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
I'd look into the spacing and positioning of the existing holes - if you can buy a set of Yankee cab roof lights and use one of the existing holes per light and it works out, drill the 2nd hole and mount em up. Odds are the existing holes are not in the right place, in which case you could assess whether the RIGHT place would cover the existing hole with the Yankee light - that would be ok too, you'd just have to drill new holes for the Yankees in the right spots. Although factory fireman's hat cab lights technically could be mounted on a flush roof - they are really designed for mounting to a raised pad roof. Yankees are mentioned because they were designed to be added to a flush roof via aftermarket. Only way to fill existing holes correctly is to weld em up.
Thanks bud, the truck is a cst, and a K20, and there is just something about a truck that has cab lights, and sits tall, that says "dont pull out in front of me" and the last thing i want is for me to t bone someone because they think they can make it in front of me. when they cant. so im not looking into roof lights because of looks, im looking into it also because of saftey.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:51 AM   #6
davepl

Honk!

These are the Yankee 77 style, I believe, and fit on the flat roof surface. They were the most common "back in the day". I never could figure out what the "official" spacing was so I kind of made it up myself based on what looked right to me at the time.
Attached Images

davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:03 PM   #7
Deer_hunter_088

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Honk!

These are the Yankee 77 style, I believe, and fit on the flat roof surface. They were the most common "back in the day". I never could figure out what the "official" spacing was so I kind of made it up myself based on what looked right to me at the time.
saved them pics on my phone, gunna use em for reference, when i do get the $$$ to buy some.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:10 PM   #8
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer_hunter_088 View Post
im looking into it also because of saftey.
Now wait a cotton picking moment here. You want the cab lights for safety, but don't want anything to do with shoulder belts??????
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:17 PM   #9
LongBox

Just a thought--could the roof holes be from a previously-installed visor?

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:27 PM   #10
BILT4ME

What is the real purpose of "clearance lights" (cab lights/.roof lights) anyway? Big trucks have them, but what purpose do they REALLY serve?

I've never liked the reflection or glare they generated on the hood of the trucks I've driven, and if they are a clearance light, and they make the top of the truck taller, is it to REDUCE clearance, or know that you're close when you smash them on what's overhead?

The only POSSIBLE thing I can think of is that of meeting a truck at night on a dark highway and his clearance lights can be seen before his headlights, so I know to dim my lights a millisecond before he has to dim his.

Please enlighten me.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:44 PM   #11
TwoFiftyShifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypressbog View Post
Now wait a cotton picking moment here. You want the cab lights for safety, but don't want anything to do with shoulder belts??????
LOL

Thanks for the cig lighter CypressB.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:11 PM   #12
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer_hunter_088 View Post
Thanks bud, the truck is a cst, and a K20, and there is just something about a truck that has cab lights, and sits tall, that says "dont pull out in front of me" and the last thing i want is for me to t bone someone because they think they can make it in front of me. when they cant. so im not looking into roof lights because of looks, im looking into it also because of saftey.
Well alrighty then.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:15 PM   #13
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILT4ME View Post
What is the real purpose of "clearance lights" (cab lights/.roof lights) anyway? Big trucks have them, but what purpose do they REALLY serve?

I've never liked the reflection or glare they generated on the hood of the trucks I've driven, and if they are a clearance light, and they make the top of the truck taller, is it to REDUCE clearance, or know that you're close when you smash them on what's overhead?

The only POSSIBLE thing I can think of is that of meeting a truck at night on a dark highway and his clearance lights can be seen before his headlights, so I know to dim my lights a millisecond before he has to dim his.

Please enlighten me.
I can't enlighten - but, you pose a great question. Looks aside - many folks call them "clearance" lights as opposed to the factory SPID terminology of U01 Marker Lamps - but it leads me to believe that some folks look at them as a means of judging whether or not they can fit their big truck UNDER something - low bridge for a semi, low barn opening for a truck, etc. It is more light for oncoming traffic - if headlights aren't enough! And I've always wondered about hood glow. Don't recall seeing it in the trucks I've ridden in with em, but I wasn't paying much attention to it at the time. Anyone else annoyed by a hood glow? Never have thought that much about their purpose, just know I like them - perhaps someone here has the textbook answer to all this (AND the 1+3+1 spacing scheme... D.O.T. requirement if you have them??). As for spacing of factory lamps, 1st pic is 73+ (i.e. flat roof) spacing as ONE ref, 2nd pic is stock guide lamps on a NON-pad roof truck:

Also, see post 34 and 42 of this thread for Yankee 77 part # and price and 69-72 pad spacing. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=451975&page=2
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 09-26-2016 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:48 PM   #14
FirstOwner69

Clearance lights are required on vehicles over 80" wide by Federal and state laws. In addition to those on the roof, clearance lights also include the additional lights added to the sides and backs of vehicles over 80" wide. Take dually pickups for example. They always display the lights on the roof as well as a couple on the sides of the box (amber toward the front and red toward the rear) and some red ones across the back (generally under the tailgate these days). Remember the early 2000s GM pickups with 4 wheel steering? They were also over 80" wide and had a full complement of clearance lights.

I believe the quantity and spacing is also mandated.

The lights may have been offered as an option on pickups under 80" for owners who bought the trucks for such things as snowplow duty (I think some plows are over 80").

When a truck is loaded with a cab-over camper, hood glow is present. It never bothers me though.

As for the name, I've always assumed that they were called clearance lights since they aid other drivers by identifying vehicles that require extra clearance.

EDIT: Some light reading.
https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulation...section/393.11

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 09-26-2016 at 09:03 PM.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:27 PM   #15
1969c10joe

I always wondered why people dont pull out in front of me so its my roof lights eh?I always thought it was the sign on my front bumper it says I HAVE DRUM BRAKES!!! The lights are cool I dont mind the hood glow
1969c10joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:29 AM   #16
CG
BlahBlahBlah

This is an OEM instruction sheet for GMC dealer installed cab lights like the ones on davepl's truck.

Here is the link for this to see it larger and easier to read. You can open the pic larger than the one this link goes directly to.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...pacing&cat=500
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2016, 09:29 AM   #17
Deer_hunter_088

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypressbog View Post
shhhhhhhhhhh some poor s10 is gunna be missing some seatbelts soon hopefully, soon as i can, because my state requires FACTORY installed seatbelts, no matter what type,

Last edited by Deer_hunter_088; 09-27-2016 at 09:54 AM.