The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-27-2016, 06:12 PM   #1
nitrosport_5

Temp gauge numbers

Ive got a 72 k20 with factory gauges. just got it on the road and it runs great. cruising down the highway the gauge is pretty much dead center, and when driving slow after a couple miles at 25mph the needle will just begin to touch the first skinny mark on H. my fans kick on right about there.

my setup is a mild 396 big block, serpentine belt setup, 180* thermostat, R&D aluminum radiator, and dual 10 or 12" e fans with an adjustable controler. the gauge is hooked to a g1852 acdelco temp sender

so my question is, does anybody know aproximately what the numbers on a stock gauge are? i thought i had my fan controler setup to come on about 190, but if 180 is right in the middle, 190 seems like it shouldnt be that far over to Hot.

and does it sound right that after going a mile or so at 20-25mph the fans kick on and seem to stay on until i get moving at speed again
nitrosport_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:38 PM   #2
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: Temp gauge numbers

I wouldn't necessarily trust the accuracy of any 40+ year old factory gauge, or the sending unit it listens to. Probably be best to go over things with an infrared temp gun to see what you really have.

*If* your factory gauge is fairly accurate, it sounds like you're running pretty warm, at least compared to my factory gauge..... but who knows how accurate that is either?

Sounds pretty normal for the fans to come on at low speed to keep that big-block running cool. After only a mile or so seems a bit early.... unless it really is warm enough to need it.

Sounds like a sweet setup, and your avatar pic looks great!

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:49 PM   #3
nitrosport_5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
I wouldn't necessarily trust the accuracy of any 40+ year old factory gauge, or the sending unit it listens to. Probably be best to go over things with an infrared temp gun to see what you really have.

*If* your factory gauge is fairly accurate, it sounds like you're running pretty warm, at least compared to my factory gauge..... but who knows how accurate that is either?

Sounds pretty normal for the fans to come on at low speed to keep that big-block running cool. After only a mile or so seems a bit early.... unless it really is warm enough to need it.

Sounds like a sweet setup, and your avatar pic looks great!

I kindof think that the factory gauge is just making me paranoid. There is absolutely no reason for this to run Hot. the entire cooling system is brand new, from the water pump to hoses to radiator. Before my restoration i had a stock 4 row radiator, stock style water pump ect and it ran around at 180 on an aftermarket under dash gauge all day with a flex fan. my ramp truck has a big 4 row and a small block and it barely moves off of cold.

I need to hook up an aftermarket gauge and tach to make sure all my readings are correct or to get a good baseline. on an 80 degree day, running at 60MPH my temps should be right where my thermostat opens as far as im concerned. my tach also reads high, i know it isnt running 3,000RPM in overdrive as well. it ran 3000 when i had the th350.

Check out my link in my signature. The display picture i have is before i tore it apart. its an entire different color now
nitrosport_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:04 PM   #4
Ruscal

Most of the factory gauges I have seen read down near the low end when at 180. It is a good idea to establish a baseline.
Russ
Old 09-27-2016, 09:45 PM   #5
davepl

I've posted my "ohms v temp v gauge" charts about 3 times this month, so I won't spam you all with them again, but search for it if you're interested, it covers what temps are how many ohms and how much it reads on the gauge, etc...
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:45 PM   #6
Benny-

I agree with checking with a temp gun. Mine was up in that range and was just above 200.

On my truck the needle usually runs between the halfway mark and 3/4 towards towards the H. Factory gauge, O'Reilly sending unit.

There is a company that has been discussed on here before that makes sending units that are supposed to match to the factory gauges. Can't remember the name off the top of my head.

1978 GMC K15 High Sierra.
Benny- is offline   Reply With Quote