The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2016, 04:45 AM   #1
1965c10

Bad luck fuel pump

78 c10 stock 350/at was running great I saw that fuel pump was squirt fuel on the engine cradle. So I replace it now will not idle I have to crank the engine a while and foot pedal to the floor and then sometimes start. When it start exhaust flume is slightly dark. So its running rich. If am not the gas pedal it die . I only replace the fuel pump.
1965c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:04 AM   #2
Desert1957

Re: Bad luck fuel pump

Sometimes during fuel system repairs small amount of dirt finds its way up to the carburetor. To flush it out of the needle and seat area, Pinch off the rubber hose going to the fuel pump. Start the engine and rev it up until it stalls. Take the clamp off the rubber hose and restart the engine, make crank for a few seconds to build fuel pressure.

If it was trash stuck in the needle and seat it should flush out with the new fuel rushing back into the carb. Idle should return to normal.

Let us know if this helps.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:27 PM   #3
1965c10

Angry Re: Bad luck fuel pump

So i need a new quadrajet. I rebuilt it like 6 month ago ran fine. Am think at the old fuel pump was not pump at the right pressure. So when i replace the fuel pump with a new. I was getting the right fuel amount.

My step I took off the stock air cleaner and saw it was wet with gas around the front(L&R) all the why to the top of the carb also. Took the carb off, torn in it and clean it. Nothing was found only a slight slug. Put it back on the truck same symptom. So am think it wrap. With the new fuel pump is given a high pressure and volume. Now looking for a Quadrajet. Carb did not like the new member in the engine bay.
1965c10 is offline   Reply With Quote