The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2016, 04:02 PM   #1
loujizzel

Tailgate trim install

First off I want to thank a lot of you guys that responded to my post helping me out with questions that I have asked..... okay so here we are I have another question I have a 73 C10 that does not have tailgate trim on the tailgate I want to know what do I need to do to install the tailgate trim on the tailgate that never had the trim..... I don't think it goes on with double stick tape...... can someone please guide me in the right direction I've searched on the form but came up empty mostly because it was talking about tailgates that wall already having tailgate trim on it will I need to buy a tailgate that has it on it?
loujizzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:15 PM   #2
Breeze454

Re: Tailgate trim install

No need to buy a tailgate with trim on it. If you are referring to the upper and lower trim, there are screws with nuts on the outer ends and it has double sided emblem tape on the plastic clips that run down the length of it, just like the side trim.

The center trim (embossed CHEVROLET or GMC) has threaded clips on the backside, with screws that enter from the back of the tailgate. (inside bed).

Hope that helps!
Breeze454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:21 PM   #3
TKCR

Are you talking about the trim in the center of the gate, with the Chevrolet emblem?
You will have to drill holes through the gate and then there are bolts that bolt to the back of the trim.
Attached Images

TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:35 PM   #4
superdav

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
Are you talking about the trim in the center of the gate, with the Chevrolet emblem?
You will have to drill holes through the gate and then there are bolts that bolt to the back of the trim.
How did you get that band to look so good!? I've got one to restore in the future and Ive been hoping someone else would take the plunge and post details before I do
superdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:39 PM   #5
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdav View Post
How did you get that band to look so good!? I've got one to restore in the future and Ive been hoping someone else would take the plunge and post details before I do

Cleaned it with Goof Off and then I used Brasso. Worked it in with the grain. After removing all the polish, I wiped it down with Skin So Soft Oil. The Chevrolet Emblem is a new OEM part I found on eBay. I was lucky, the trim really wasn't too bad when bought the truck, but a good cleaning & polishing made a big difference. I did the cab molding the same way.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:41 PM   #6
superdav

Quote:
Cleaned it with Goof Off and then I used Brasso. Worked it in with the grain. After removing all the polish, I wiped it down with Skin So Soft Oil. The Chevrolet Emblem is a new OEM part I found on eBay. I was lucky, the trim really wasn't too bad when bought the truck, but a good cleaning & polishing made a big difference. I did the cab molding the same way.
Mine has a small dent and scratch on the brushed part that will probably be a real pain.
superdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:04 PM   #7
loujizzel

Quote:
Yes that part .... is there a template for hole placement ?
loujizzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:51 PM   #8
f.monroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujizzel View Post
Yes that part .... is there a template for hole placement ?
I would find the insert you want to use and make the holes match the insert. I have had several trim panels that had the mounting clips in slightly different places. Some over 1/4 to 1/2 inch off. You wouldn't want to drill holes from a generic template only to find they don't line up with the insert.