The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2016, 12:44 AM   #1
63ChevC10

63 Headlights won't dim with switch

Hey everyone,

I looked around and didn't find any threads on this so here goes. I have a 63 C10 with stock wiring and for some reason the headlights won't dim. The red high beam indicator in the dash stays on no matter how many times I click the dimmer switch. When I do that, you can see that the lights are trying to dim, but they are still on bright...with the high beam light constantly on in the dash. I replaced the headlight switch (though for a different reason) and the dimmer switch a few months back. This problem started about a week ago. I've also checked the connections at both switches and at the radiator core support. My next step was to maybe disconnect one headlight at a time to see what happens with that...which would also allow me to check the connectors there. I also kinda suspect it to be a grounding issue, but I haven't pursued that yet. Anyway, have any of you had this issue before? I've seen many different headlight issues discussed on here, but not this specific one.

Thanks in advance!

Jerry
63ChevC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 03:30 AM   #2
jtrichard

Re: 63 Headlights won't dim with switch

Replace the dimmer AGAIN ...... You can make-up a jumper wire with 2 male spade ends on it and disconnect the dimmer and jump the connector end of the harness one is headlight power (from headlight switch) #2 is LOW and #3 is HIGH ... Then you will know if it is the dimmer switch
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 05:35 PM   #3
luvbowties

Smile Re: 63 Headlights won't dim with switch

X2^^^^^^^^^
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:29 PM   #4
Captmatt

I had the same issue you are describing . If I remember correctly it was a bad ground in the front harness or a bad connection at the rear of the lamp. Sucks getting old......
Captmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:59 PM   #5
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

If I am not crazy...the dimmer switch grounds to the cab. If the grounds aren't good...the switch will not work, or completely shut the lights off.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 01:13 AM   #6
jtrichard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy View Post
If I am not crazy...the dimmer switch grounds to the cab. If the grounds aren't good...the switch will not work, or completely shut the lights off.
YOU might want to make an appointment with your shrink first thing Monday... LOL
Dimmer switch DOES NOT have to even be screwed down to work ...... NO need for ground at switch ... Switch merely "switches" headlight power from dash switch (line 1) to either LOW beam (line 2) OR to HIGH beam (line 3) ........ Floor dimmer switches are NOTORIOUS for screwing up .......
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:23 AM   #7
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrichard View Post
YOU might want to make an appointment with your shrink first thing Monday... LOL
Dimmer switch DOES NOT have to even be screwed down to work ...... NO need for ground at switch ... Switch merely "switches" headlight power from dash switch (line 1) to either LOW beam (line 2) OR to HIGH beam (line 3) ........ Floor dimmer switches are NOTORIOUS for screwing up .......
That's interesting, only way I was able to make mine work was by making sure it was grounded to the cab. If it wasn't, it would just shut the lights off. I can test this again to make sure it wasn't just coincidence. lol
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:17 PM   #8
63ChevC10

Ok, I finally had a chance to dig into this again so I have an update. Long story short, it was the passenger side headlight that was bad. The bulb was working, but must have been shorted internally somehow to cause the problem. First time I've ever seen that happen, but I'm glad it was an easy fix.

Thanks for all of the replies!
63ChevC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:46 AM   #9
vince1

Of course with a foot operated switch you have to have a floor under it. The PO of mine didn't have one in that section so he rewired it to a dash on off switch.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote