The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2016, 12:39 PM   #1
HugoV

Question/s about wheels - please help!

Hello guys and gals,

I am in the process of trying to figure out what wheel/tire combo I should go with... I have done my research but I am still not comfortable with how I am interpreting the info to pull the trigger. HELP!

Here is what I know so far...

I want to run 20 inch wheels and I am looking at the Torq Thrust II.

I am thinking of a staggered look 20x10 in the back and 20x8.5 in front.

Here is where I need help... OFFSET and BACK SPACING...

What should I be looking for when it comes to this?

Last question...

What recommendations do you guys have on running the biggest tires in the back and what should I run in the front?

Thank you in advance!!!
HugoV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:24 PM   #2
dougf

Re: Question/s about wheels - please help!

Wish I could help. Backspace and wheel size confuses me. Someone will chime in. Keep searching, you may find an answer as well. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
dougf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:43 PM   #3
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoV View Post
Hello guys and gals,

I am in the process of trying to figure out what wheel/tire combo I should go with... I have done my research but I am still not comfortable with how I am interpreting the info to pull the trigger. HELP!

Here is what I know so far...

I want to run 20 inch wheels and I am looking at the Torq Thrust II.

I am thinking of a staggered look 20x10 in the back and 20x8.5 in front.

Here is where I need help... OFFSET and BACK SPACING...

What should I be looking for when it comes to this?

Last question...

What recommendations do you guys have on running the biggest tires in the back and what should I run in the front?

Thank you in advance!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougf View Post
Wish I could help. Backspace and wheel size confuses me. Someone will chime in. Keep searching, you may find an answer as well. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
My factory steel 15" wheels had about 3.5" - 3.75" of backspacing.
I installed some 15" wheels with 4" of backspacing and they barely fit, but they did.
Of course, wheels with more than 4" of backspacing will work if they have a larger diameter.

If it were my truck, I'd remove the wheels and put a straight edge vertically on the face of the rear drum. Then using a ruler I'd measure the distance to the inside of the rear fender.

The 10" wheel should fit fine if the backspacing is somewhere in the 3.5" to 5" range.

This of course takes some work and study so that you don't waste time. If your wheels have a lot of backspacing then you might need to use wheel spacers so they don't tuck under the truck too far.
Attached Images

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.

Last edited by Lugnutz65; 10-06-2016 at 01:09 PM.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:58 PM   #4
DLW

I would for sure do what Lugnutz65 said.

With that said, I run a 20x10 wheel with a 4.5" BS and the tire is quite close to the outside fender lip, I'll be trimming them back a half inch just to be safe. Any less BS for me would be an issue.

I run a 20x8.5" wheel in front with a 5.25" BS, I could run less but I also run a PB front suspension which is narrower than stock.

If I was ordering custom BS expensive wheels (which I did), I would measure my own truck to make sure because once you buy them they are yours.

DLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:15 PM   #5
Lugnutz65

Just for clarity, in the diagram shown, the GREEN arrow showing POSITVE OFFSET is pointing AWAY from the truck. It would be a shame to get that part mixed up.

Based on what DLW says above, it sounds like you should try 5" of backspacing since he's a bit worried about tire rub with only 4.5" of backspacing.
Attached Images

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.

Last edited by Lugnutz65; 10-06-2016 at 01:21 PM.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:51 PM   #6
DLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnutz65 View Post
Just for clarity, in the diagram shown, the GREEN arrow showing POSITVE OFFSET is pointing AWAY from the truck. It would be a shame to get that part mixed up.

Based on what DLW says above, it sounds like you should try 5" of backspacing since he's a bit worried about tire rub with only 4.5" of backspacing.
You just have to be careful of the inner wheel well too. A half inch further in will put you about a 1/4" from the inner wheel well, but that to can be modded a bit. These trucks have a big outer lip like at least 1" so I chose to get a deeper dish wheel and trim the lip a bit. That will ease my mind lowering and raising the air bags and any flex from cornering.
DLW is offline   Reply With Quote