The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2016, 10:06 PM   #1
Stoli

Anyone carry 2 insurance policy's for 1 C10

I currently have Hagerty for my C10. I like to drive it a little more than I'm supposed to with my coverage. I worry about getting into a wreck and not being
covered for damages to someone else.
I was thinking of putting liability on my truck through my regular Insurance co
to cover my azz just in case I'm at fault and keeping the classic insurance too.

Anyone do this?
Stoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:10 PM   #2
flashed

Re: Anyone carry 2 insurance policy's for 1 C10

I have all my classics insured with Hagerty and it includes liability .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:17 PM   #3
Stoli

Im thinking if they denied coverage because I was driving to work or the farmers market. The second company would cover liability .
Stoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:38 PM   #4
71swb4x4

Were you driving to the farmers market, or to your mechanics/car wash/gas station? I am not saying you should screw Haggerty over, but there are plenty of legitimate places you could be driving to.
I can't remember who insures my Blazer, but I have a mileage limit per year, not a limit on where I can drive. Maybe Haggerty has a similar plan that you can purchase?
Old 10-07-2016, 10:08 AM   #5
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I guess I don't understand having to have special insurance for our rides. I have mine insured by Farmers. Its full coverage, I drive it when and where I want with no issues. Maybe I'm missing something? Course it isn't a show ride, maybe that's it?
Old 10-07-2016, 10:17 AM   #6
Tiger Joe

many insurance companies don't allow multiple policy coverage of one car, so you would need to let both companies involved know up front that you want to do this and see what they say.

honestly thought, you need to look to change companies or plans. I don't use hagerty because I did not like their restrictions. there are many companies out there that offer policies that let you drive where you want. I went with American Collectors insurance and I am allowed to drive my trucks when/where I want.

CG- as far as why to have specialty insurance. More often than not, you can get full coverage for much cheaper thru a specialty insurance company than your everyday company. I insure 3 vehicles on my collector policy annually than I can insure our Tahoe thru allstate for 6 months.
Tiger Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:26 AM   #7
sawyerrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
I guess I don't understand having to have special insurance for our rides. I have mine insured by Farmers. Its full coverage, I drive it when and where I want with no issues. Maybe I'm missing something? Course it isn't a show ride, maybe that's it?
What will farmers pay if your truck is totaled or stolen? Geico, AAA and State Farm only pay blue book which is about $1000. I haven't found any regular insurance, without restrictions, that offers agreed value. Also, at least here in CA, all the major insurance companies use a common data base on which insurance company you have. If you tried to have two policies, they would know immediately. Anyway, if I could get comprehensive insurance with agreed value and be able to drive to work, I'd take it.
sawyerrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:33 AM   #8
Tiger Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyerrm View Post
What will farmers pay if your truck is totaled or stolen? Geico, AAA and State Farm only pay blue book which is about $1000. I haven't found any regular insurance, without restrictions, that offers agreed value. Also, at least here in CA, all the major insurance companies use a common data base on which insurance company you have. If you tried to have two policies, they would know immediately. Anyway, if I could get comprehensive insurance with agreed value and be able to drive to work, I'd take it.
American Collectors will allow you to drive to work with there freedom tier I think its called.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:46 AM   #9
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Funny about book value, when we are buying and selling these things the state requires the value be looked up in one of the collector books. If you bought a truck to just use for parts for say 500 bucks, but the collector books say its worth a lot more, the state wants their "taste" from the higher value. But when you make an insurance claim, they go just the opposite ha!

Anyway, I have an agreed value on my truck. They look at it and take pictures etc etc. I show em receipts and purchase price. I think mine is only at 6500.00. I don't want it to come down to me finding out whether they will try to weasel out of it though lol.

EDIT: Sorry Stoli, I jacked your thread a little bit =(

Last edited by CG; 10-07-2016 at 11:03 AM.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:57 AM   #10
68is4me

You might want to check into that a little more. I would think that would be considered insurance fraud. If you have 2 insurance's and make a claim you might get into trouble if they each pay. I am no expert tho. I would just call Hagerty and ask.
06 gmc duramax
68is4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:31 AM   #11
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
I have an 8K agreed value with State Farm on my 67. I've had it like that for about 10 years now. I pay $300/yr. I have a "5000 mile per year" mileage restriction, but no other restrictions.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:55 AM   #12
jocko

Yes, recommend agreed value policy. Single company. I don't believe liability with additional company will really help you much. It'd cover any damage you did to other stuff other than the truck - but so will Haggerty. Worst case with Haggerty alone is that they wouldn't pay for the truck repairs if you put 50k on it one year - but they should still pay for liability. Anyway, I guess I would not quote me on that either - who knows WHAT an insurance company will say. If you're unsure - then recommend discuss it honestly with Hagerty. I've found them to be pretty honest brokers. Having said that, all my trucks right now are beaters, kinda, so I have regular policies on them. A few are non-op'ed and covered for damages/theft only, etc. They're real big on keeping these things garaged. Or, if you live in TX, rates are low because while we may tend to leave our keys in the ignition, we also shoot on sight... JUST kidding....
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:23 PM   #13
davepl

Not a lawyer, but I've seen them on tv: some insurance contracts have clauses that say if you have ANY other applicable insurance, you have to use it first. It's very common in health insurance, for example, so that if you get free health care through a spouse's work you have to use that up first before using your own.

So I'd be concerned that I could have two policies both of which said I had to use the other. Or even one that excluded the other, as it'd be doing no good.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 06:21 PM   #14
lutronjim

Tiger Joe - you must have a big garage. American Collectors web site says you have to have garaged.

67chevyredneck - I have mine with State Farm but they wouldn't give me a stated value when I upgraded to LC9. I got professional appraisal which gave me a replacement cost if totaled. My agent wouldn't even talk about it.
lutronjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:02 PM   #15
BILT4ME

I have State Farm on my Studebaker with a stated agreed value of $5000. I will do the same on the pickup when I get it road-worthy. I will research the values of it at that time, then take pics and such to make sure I have the info and records to back it up.

I also have my house and 4 other cars with State Farm and I've been with them for more years than I've been alive. Yes, that's possible. No, no one in my family works for them. My folks had them before I was born and since I was a carry-over on a policy 30 years ago, it shows that I've had insurance with them for 56 years, even though I'm 51......
Old 10-07-2016, 07:06 PM   #16
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILT4ME View Post
I have State Farm on my Studebaker with a stated agreed value of $5000.
Whoa, nelly. Which is it, stated or agreed? These are two totally different things.

STATED: You state the value, pay your rate based on that, and when it's totalled, THEN the insurance company decides what the actual value is, regardless of what you stated it was.

AGREED: A decision is made in ADVANCE as to what your vehicle will be worth in the event of a total loss.

You really don't want stated value.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:57 PM   #17
Tiger Joe

A mans garage is never big enough!
Old 10-07-2016, 09:21 PM   #18
franken

Liability doesn't cover your vehicle so adding more doesn't help reimburse for damage to your vehicle if you're in a wreck. This is based on the OPs OP...
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:54 PM   #19
clemsonteg

I have a policy with Hagerty with an agreed value and my rate is based on how often I told them I drive my truck. I think my only restriction is what I tell them.
clemsonteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:36 PM   #20
special-K
Special Order

If you are concerned about your collector car insurance company not paying because you are using it more like an everyday driver you should get everyday driver insurance. Having two policies is a total waste because only one company will pay. So, get the one that will pay regardless. What I want to know is how will they know how much you use it or what you use it fr unless you tell them? If you have an accident no one knows where you were or where you were going except you. Classics need to be driven more than just shows and Sunday cruises. You may need to have work done, go buy parts, Wednesday cruise, took it to get an estimate, use your imagination. I's a free country and no one can dictate every move you make.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:01 PM   #21
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Very few companies if any will allow to (2) policies on the same vehicle unless there is some type of umbrella and that does not cover the automobile.

I spoke with State Farm the other day about a stated value and they would no longer do it in my state. i have in the past had a stated value policy with them and they did NOT honor it when totalled. Stated v/s Agreed

BEWARE of Hagertys. I have had good and terrible dealings with them. I am now with Grundy
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Custom Camper "Dump Truck"
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Suburban "Big Green"
1969 Chevrolet C-50 Wedge Hauler "Leonidis"
1966 C-10 2x4 short fleet 327 4 speed "Race Truck"
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook "Rican" (my grandfathers)
1931 Ford Model A Coupe "Black Beauty"
1930 Ford Model A truck "Club Cab" 4x4

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

It's not just a hobby..It's a LIFESTYLE!!!

Thanks for nothing Barrett-Jackson

You cant fix stupid or teach accountability!

Time wasters, looky Lous and tire kickers are everywhere!
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 04:55 AM   #22
66clow

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
Liability doesn't cover your vehicle so adding more doesn't help reimburse for damage to your vehicle if you're in a wreck. This is based on the OPs OP...

I've worked for an insurance company for 27 years. This is correct. This doesn't do you any good. For what your probably paying for both policies you could find one company to suit your needs. One company will probably deny the claim since you are double covered. They can find out when the time comes. I know American collectors insurance allows a certain amount of mileage every year. You are to drive to shows etc, but allows you to drive to work and nice days as occasional personal use. You can set a value or get am appraisal done. Pretty cheap too.
66clow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:43 AM   #23
special-K
Special Order

I didn't think Hagerty limited your use, other than hauling anything in a truck and of course not a zillion miles, which can be hard to prove. Last time I read my policy I saw nothing about limiting use to shows and such. Maybe I better read my policy again, but that is why I went with them

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:45 AM   #24
flashed

I know Hagerty is different from state to state but here in Ga we have no mileage restrictions but I am not supposed to drive them to work .I do sometimes drive mine to work as we are in a gated area at work which is restricted to outsiders and Im usually going to my mechanics shop or bodyshop for help with small issues directly after work .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote