The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2016, 07:38 AM   #1
TRWalker20

Th350 transmission problems

About a month ago I lost all forward gears in my 86 square body. Decided to pull and replace the trans with a rebuilt one from a guy. Swap went fine and I've driven it for a month but this morning I get a lot of shuddering on initial acceleration. Drive for about a block and have to stop at a stop sign. On this acceleration I get more shuddering and real sluggish acceleration this time. I drop it to 1st to get across the highway. I get up to speed and it works pretty good. Get to a red light and can barely get off the line even when dropping to 1st. Pull over to check things out and lose all forward gears. No clue what could be the issue seems unlikely that the trans would go out in a month. Thanks for any help.
TRWalker20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:53 AM   #2
barry1982

Re: Th350 transmission problems

Losing forward gears...... but still have reverse...... sounds like your trans is shot. You have to be careful buying "rebuilt" parts. I would bet the guy never offered any warranty did he...?
barry1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:04 PM   #3
Dead Parrot

Double check fluid level. Pull the pan and check for debris.

No chance you left the park brake on? Made that mistake once, it does degrade acceleration and can lead to shuddering.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:08 PM   #4
TRWalker20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
Double check fluid level. Pull the pan and check for debris.

No chance you left the park brake on? Made that mistake once, it does degrade acceleration and can lead to shuddering.
Unfortunately it's not as easy as the parking brake. I went back to it after work and still no luck. It will not even engage the gears for d 2 or 1. Still have reverse. I unfolded the converter to the flex plate to see if the converter was pulled too far off of the shaft but no luck. I warmed it up for about 39 minutes and checked and rechecked fluids and cycled through the gears. Any chance it could just be the converter or would I lose reverse then too. I'm gonna drain the fluid in the morning and check for material and maybe pull the valve body and flush that.
TRWalker20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:26 AM   #5
Hewfil1

Having similar issues with my truck. Losing all gears unless I absolutely floor it and grind through gears.
Hewfil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:44 AM   #6
rich weyand

Lots of things in this thread:
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/t-35...se-151534.html

Like: " I had the same problem a few years ago with a 350 turbo. What "surprise " when expecting to go forward, huh? I took the pan off and removed the valve body. Took it apart and cleaned all of the check valves. Put it back together and no more problems."

Found via google:
https://www.google.com/#q=th350+no+foreard+gears

1978 K10 RCSB DD.
rich weyand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:01 PM   #7
Hotdog

Hello can any one direct me to a link. I can't seem to find but I have a 71 c-10 and had the th350 rebuilt and it won't go into drive. Works good in 1st and 2nd, reverse and park but no Drive.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hotdog is offline   Reply With Quote