The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2016, 01:05 PM   #1
Ghernandez66

Help with steering box and lowering kit

Hey guys I'm new to the squarebody's so I need a bit of help ,

I recently purchased a 74 C10 and by talking to some friends found out that has some different year sheet metal and wiring but it all works good.

My questions are about height since this truck was lowered with a flip kit in the rear and the PO just cut the springs up front so I'm trying to replace the front cut Springs but I would love to know where to start I will upload a couple pictures see if you guys can help It looks like I have a couple more inches of clearance in rear because PO did installed a notch so I would like to go a little lower if not too much hassle.

Also my next question is steering ... I seem to have a really bad turning radius like if I was driving a crew cab long bed type of bad radius ..I have this number off the steering box 7802644L and of course it seems to be leaking in couple places so I would love to replace it and would love to find an alternative bolt on that has a better turning radius is there one anyone recommends?

Thank in advance guys
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2016, 05:27 PM   #2
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

Re: Help with steering box and lowering kit

jus get some new springs an add some drop spindles an get some shackles for the rear
bbbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 06:10 PM   #3
Nick_R_23

Re: Help with steering box and lowering kit

Steering box isn't going to limit turning radius, but you can go to a quicker ratio box if you feel your steering is too slow. What limits turning radius is the spindles and/or steering stops on the A-arms, usually the stops. They may be modified to keep the wheels or tires from rubbing.
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote