The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2016, 10:13 AM   #1
KenAdams

Shorten longbed stepside with single cut?

I've seen how others have shortened their fleetsides by removing 12 from the front and 8 from the rear. I am about to pull the trigger by shortening my long bed stepside bed by just removing 20 inches from the middle and just redrilling the 9 holes for fenders. Is there any reason why this wouldn't work?

Last edited by KenAdams; 10-17-2016 at 12:02 PM.
KenAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:40 PM   #2
jtrichard

Re: Shorten longbed stepside with single cut?

There is a guy here in Yucca valley I believe he only shortened the front of the bed by around 10/12 inches (he was shorting the frame also) made a 7 + foot bed LOOKS GREAT ......Personally I do not see any reason taking it all out of the middle would not work for a TRUE short bed

Last edited by jtrichard; 10-16-2016 at 01:46 PM.
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:36 PM   #3
f.monroe

I posted Wrong
Old 10-16-2016, 09:43 PM   #4
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

seems like it would be more work to fill all the old fender holes, also harder to get the new ones in exactly the right spot.
the way I see it you are going to have 1 vertical cut to weld and grind regardless.
for the second 1/2 which would be more work: 1 vertical cut and weld/grind /fill, or measure and drill 9 holes, then weld /grind/fill 9 holes..

also with the center cut method, the ridges in the bed behind the fender will end up all wrong.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:16 PM   #5
62stepside longbox

Another problem I see is that the bottom of the bedside has the cutout, if you cut it in the middle it will shorten the cutout area
Attached Images

my build thread. Sending unit solution
62stepside longbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:56 PM   #6
63chevy208

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAdams View Post
I've seen how others have shortened their fleetsides by removing 12 from the front and 8 from the rear. I am about to pull the trigger by shortening my long bed stepside by just removing 20 inches from the middle and just redrilling the 9 holes for fenders. Is there any reason why this wouldn't work?

https://youtu.be/O9zy08qsahk?list=PL...VzshsQUYn8POdz

This should help you out with it.
63chevy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:27 AM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I would recommend making a template for the fender holes, prior to cutting the bedsides.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:43 AM   #8
KenAdams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop View Post
seems like it would be more work to fill all the old fender holes, also harder to get the new ones in exactly the right spot.
the way I see it you are going to have 1 vertical cut to weld and grind regardless.
for the second 1/2 which would be more work: 1 vertical cut and weld/grind /fill, or measure and drill 9 holes, then weld /grind/fill 9 holes..

also with the center cut method, the ridges in the bed behind the fender will end up all wrong.
Good catch on the ridges. I completely missed that one isn't going to line up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62stepside longbox View Post
Another problem I see is that the bottom of the bedside has the cutout, if you cut it in the middle it will shorten the cutout area
Yea, I saw that. My wider tires are already not going to fit so I figured I would have to cut my own wheel arch there anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I would recommend making a template for the fender holes, prior to cutting the bedsides.
Thanks Captain.... You might have saved me on that one. I'll measure everything out and CAD up the dimensions if anyone else wants them.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:44 AM   #9
63chevy208

It's a wise thing to not do just straight cuts. I would recemmond checking the video and making the cuts like they do in their. It will be stronger than just a straight cut vertical
Old 10-17-2016, 11:55 AM   #10
KenAdams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63chevy208 View Post
It's a wise thing to not do just straight cuts. I would recemmond checking the video and making the cuts like they do in their. It will be stronger than just a straight cut vertical
Yep, I actually z cut the frame and tacked it together a while back, still need to finish welding it up, but that's a different day. All I really have to do now is tackle shortening the bed. I've seen countless other people shorten their longbed fleetsides, but have never seen anyone do a longbed stepside. My thinking behind the single seam in the stepside is I am going to leave the truck with its patina anyways so the only thing that would standout is a seam. If I just have a single seam in the bed I can hide most of it behind the fender.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:18 PM   #11
spacedebris

Just an observation and thought.

Rather than cutting down your long step bed. Have you thought of offering it up for trade? I know there are several here that are actually looking for a long step bed and they are getting harder and harder to find. Someone may be willing to buy one of those new repro short beds and trade or even trade a good OE short bed for the long. I'm just thinking it would be a shame to cut up a long step when people are looking for them. Just my .02 cents worth.
1960 c30 Apache Panel w/ '95 cummins bt6 turbo diesel (work in progress) NOTE: due to photobucket trying to extort money my photos are temporarily unavailable. currently looking for alternative to fix issue.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=523009
spacedebris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:47 PM   #12
KenAdams

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedebris View Post
Just an observation and thought.

Rather than cutting down your long step bed. Have you thought of offering it up for trade? I know there are several here that are actually looking for a long step bed and they are getting harder and harder to find. Someone may be willing to buy one of those new repro short beds and trade or even trade a good OE short bed for the long. I'm just thinking it would be a shame to cut up a long step when people are looking for them. Just my .02 cents worth.
I plan on keeping it. I'de love to trade by the odds of me finding a shortbed fleetside or stepside in Federal Gray that has matching patina to the rest of the truck is probably slim to none.