The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-13-2016, 05:35 PM   #1
ProudSoul

Leveling out the Chevy lean?

Lowered my 77 SWB and noticed that it sits lower on the passenger side probably due to spring fatigue from the fuel tank hanging on that side (I always keep it full). I know the proper thing to do is to use new springs but that costs money, money that I already blew slamming it.

The rear is flipped with lowering blocks. I plan to take the blocks of the lower side to raise it level. The front is 3 inch spindles and 1 coil cut from each spring. I want to try swaping front springs side to side and am also curious about whether cutting a small amount (like 1/8 of a coil) from the stronger spring will level it out.

Its an old truck, I know its going to lean but I just want to minimize it as much as I can......Any input?
ProudSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:08 PM   #2
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

Re: Leveling out the Chevy lean?

cut springs might be the problem
bbbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:33 AM   #3
ProudSoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbc10 View Post
cut springs might be the problem
How's that? I cut them both the same amount (1 coil). Had cut coils on my 63 without any problems.

I see your in Garland. I'm in East Dallas. Got any spare springs I can buy???
Old 10-14-2016, 12:44 PM   #4
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

Cutting old coils can sometimes go wrong.....but i think there are some front spring shims that they make i will have to look an see....

No sure dont.....im still trying to get the last of my air ride so i can do my frame swap
bbbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 03:32 PM   #5
killthewabbit
Spear and magic helmet!

Swapping rear leaf springs side to side did the trick for my lean. It came out not exactly perfect, but pretty close.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:47 PM   #6
ProudSoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by killthewabbit View Post
Swapping rear leaf springs side to side did the trick for my lean. It came out not exactly perfect, but pretty close.
I was hoping no one would say this, I was thinking about swapping the rear side to side but after finally finishing the flip and putting it all back together I may shed a tear or 2 taking it all apart again

I'm going to try the front first since its way easier and go from there. I will report back with results!
Old 10-23-2016, 05:38 PM   #7
ProudSoul

alright back with some info..... I leveled the rear by removing the blocks I had on the passenger rear and adding one of those helper springs.

Now I hadn't driven the truck yet so I didn't notice that the drivers rear was being held up by the shock. Removed that shock and now that side is sitting on the bumpstop (which I cut down to a 1/4"). 1 step forward and two steps back....

I am planning on getting air shocks that I can air up manually, Would like to avoid a c notch for now, ultimately going to lose the bumpstops and brackets to use those little quarter size bumpstops.

Will probably add a helper to the drivers side too and and it should be pretty darn close. About .5" off now but hard to tell since the drivers is now on the bumpstop.