The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2004, 09:39 AM   #1
Don R. Dodson

Detailing C10 69 Truck underneath

Since I'm new at restoring and owning a 69 Custom truck, I am wondering about the detailing under the truck. I'm gonna have to do a frame off, to get rid of the rust under the Ole Girl and am wondering about what color should the shocks be? What color should the spare tire rack be? Hydrolic brake lines? Should the brake lines be metal color or black? What about emergency brake mechanics, rollers, cable? My 59 Impala is red oxide under the car. I am assuming the truck underbody should be black. So far there hasn't been any car shows in my area this year for me to check out 67-72 shortbed Chevy trucks. The engine and trannie will be taken out and the trannie will be cleaned and painted by my mechanic. Engine will be gone over and checked for accuracy of detailing.
Are there any other particulars I should be aware of when I remove the cab and bed to do the sandblasting on the chassis? The bed and cab will NOT be sandblasted and will be treated with chemical rust removal of POR15 metal ready and scraping and sanding. Thanks Ya'll !
Attached Images

Last edited by Don R. Dodson; 03-22-2004 at 09:45 AM.
Don R. Dodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 04:21 PM   #2
1972ChevyGuy

Sorry, no idea on the colors, but where exactly is Gibsonville?
1972ChevyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 07:36 PM   #3
toms68cst

As soon as I finish drooling on my keyboard I'll get to your questions. That's a great looking truck!

Most major chassis components should be semi-gloss black. Many of the bolts and some of the smaller chassis parts should be unpainted if memory serves. You'll have to do some reasearch if this it going to be some kind of 100% stock correct restoration.

What kind of shocks do you have? My 68 truck had "spiral" shocks on it and I think a 69 should too. I have some NOS ones on hand and could post pictures if needed to get the color. I can't remember who but one of the major classic car part vendors is reproducing this paint now. If you have later (IE were replaced later.) Non-sprial GM or Non OEM shocks on it there's no telling what color they should be.

TREASURER, Drum Brake Club.

Last edited by toms68cst; 03-22-2004 at 07:39 PM.
toms68cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 09:42 PM   #4
Don R. Dodson

72ChevyGuy, Gibsonville, is located between Greensboro and Burlington at 138 exit on Interstate 85.

Tom, I went out in the shop and checked the shocks and they are the sprial variety. I bought the truck from the original owner and it has 55,663 original miles on the speedo. The original owner traded it in on a 1963 Impala Convertible plus some moo-la to boot of course. He traded it with Jerry Rook of Thomasville, NC and Jerry does show car restoration on Impala's. He painted the truck and put on new bumpers, and painted the engine, put in new interior and that is it. I found out after I got the truck home he didn't do anything to the areas you couldn't see, like underneath the truck. Rust everywhere on the chassis, and exhaust pipes. Rust on the springs, spare tire hanger, wheel hubs,. Nothing ate through, and I plane on keeping it that way. I hope to keep the truck original, except for the exhaust manifolds. Gonna get them Jet Hot Coated with sterling 'cause I can't stand rust in any way, shape, or form. Jerry didn't clean up the transmission (straight gear) and just stuck it back under the truck dirty as dirt is, cause I guess it is hard to see from the top side. Don't understand why people do stuff like that. He had the engine out to paint it and how much harder is it to clean up the trannie with the engine out? I guess as the cruz in time gets here and the car show time gets here I will have a chance to inspect other folks show trucks and get an idea what I should do to this truck. 72ChevyGuy, I want to see you at the High Point Cruz in's on Thursday evenings at the Home Furnishings Market on Main Street (NC 311) in High point this Spring/Summer. Just look for me there in the 1967 Red Dodge Charger until I get this truck done. And anyone else looking at this thread, ya'll come on by the Thursday Cruz in there in High Point. It is the largest cruz in gathering in the Southeast. 72ChevyGuy it is 57 miles for you and 32 miles for me, and I go every Thursday if it ain't raining and if the weather ever breaks to cruz in weather. Gonna get down to 23 degrees tonight, and we are on our second day into spring. Burrr! Hopefully before the summer ends, I will have the 59 Impala Convertible done. Black with a white top, 348 tri-power straight gear wheel spinner with a Posi under the thing. Jerry Rook is working on the 59 now as he has for the last 7 months. Ya'll have fun this summer and may all of you enjoy seeing your restoration efforts give credit to those that helped in the restoration of your rides, by bringing home the trophies that winners should be blessed with.

Old 03-22-2004, 10:47 PM   #5
1972ChevyGuy

I'll hafta ride up there sometime. You are nearly a straight shot up 85 from me. Nice looking truck btw
1972ChevyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 12:41 AM   #6
toms68cst

Unless you are going to do an all out frame-off restoration on her just clean up the under carriage and make it more presentable. Minor undercarriage surface rust will not cost you a lot of points on an unrestored truck. It will do well at any shows you have it in. I’d definitely use a gentle touch on that truck unless you are going to go all out.

That’s a fine machine you have there!

TREASURER, Drum Brake Club.
toms68cst is offline   Reply With Quote