The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2016, 09:06 AM   #1
Okiefromwatonga

Help me identify this truck

So i have the opertunity to purchase one of two trucks at a friends farm. One is a 58/59 GMC 370 the other is what i beleive is a 1969 GMC C5500. I dont have many pictures at this moment but will be getting more soon. So this is what i have so far

Though i lije the body style of the older truck it has severe rust problems so i am leaning twards the newer of the two as sheetmetal is much more economically priced. Not to mention they still have the origonal service bed with a aux cab on it.
Okiefromwatonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:50 PM   #2
ClaytonS.

Re: Help me identify this truck

Okie, looks just like the '72 I picked up in Dec. I will try to get a pic of my sticker tonight and we can compare. Will the other of the two be for sale?
Attached Images

ClaytonS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:18 PM   #3
Okiefromwatonga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaytonS. View Post
Okie, looks just like the '72 I picked up in Dec. I will try to get a pic of my sticker tonight and we can compare. Will the other of the two be for sale?

I have been given my choice of the two in addition to a late 40's 1.5 ton or a International KB-5. All will be for sale once I make my final decision. I'm leaning towards the Blue one in the pictures simply as a concession to parts availability.
My plan is to make a Crew/Extended cab 1.5t pickup out of the one I choose.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:23 PM   #4
Okiefromwatonga

More of the glove box sticker

Old 02-09-2016, 06:31 PM   #5
Okiefromwatonga

I don't see a split ring so are these the widow makers?

Old 02-10-2016, 08:48 AM   #6
ClaytonS.

I'm gonna say yes on the wheels but not all of the "widow makers" are the dangerous ones. There was a really good chart on this forum some where that showed all of the different kind.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:49 PM   #7
ClaytonS.

Here's the tags off of mine. Don't know if it helps any.
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2016, 07:17 PM   #8
slotard

Looking forward to the build. Do you have a donor for crew cab stuff? Doesn't seem it'd be easy to do without an existing crew or suburban.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:31 PM   #9
Okiefromwatonga

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotard View Post
Looking forward to the build. Do you have a donor for crew cab stuff? Doesn't seem it'd be easy to do without an existing crew or suburban.
Im looking for a Suburban but have access to three title-less cabs that I can make into a crew/extended if all else fails
Old 10-26-2016, 07:02 PM   #10
Okiefromwatonga

Time to resurrect this thread, I am in the final phases of getting ready to bring it home and am just not felling chancing these rotten tires. I would Like to run 22.5" tires, this truck having the 5 bolt front 10 bolt rears will the standard run of the mill 22.5" wheels and tires from modern OTR Rigs work?
Old 10-26-2016, 10:07 PM   #11
rkn463

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiefromwatonga View Post
Time to resurrect this thread, I am in the final phases of getting ready to bring it home and am just not felling chancing these rotten tires. I would Like to run 22.5" tires, this truck having the 5 bolt front 10 bolt rears will the standard run of the mill 22.5" wheels and tires from modern OTR Rigs work?
Probably not. Most of these older trucks had 6.25" hub size and an 8.75" bolt circle. The modern stuff is way bigger than that. I picked up some ugly 22.5 aftermarket wheels for my 68/89 Frankenstein. I can't recall the vendor right off, several folks have posted about them. Did I mention they are ugly?

-Richard
Old 10-26-2016, 10:46 PM   #12
LynnB

Congrats. Looks similar to the 72 I have been cannibilizing parts from for my 49 Studebaker farm truck build.
Are those Firestone wheels? Looks like it may be the same bolt pattern as my Studebaker split rims. If you aren't going to use the wheels, I might be interested if they are a fit.
I am not too far away from you. I am in Guthrie. The truck I am taking parts from is in Kingfisher.

Also, if you need a good deal on a 13 inch clutch, pp, release bearing and pilot bearing, I have a complete set up. Clutch & PP were professionally rebuilt. The bearings are brand new. No Chinese junk (allowed to say that here, right?)

Last edited by LynnB; 10-26-2016 at 11:02 PM.
LynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:51 AM   #13
Okiefromwatonga

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnB View Post
Congrats. Looks similar to the 72 I have been cannibilizing parts from for my 49 Studebaker farm truck build.
Are those Firestone wheels? Looks like it may be the same bolt pattern as my Studebaker split rims. If you aren't going to use the wheels, I might be interested if they are a fit.
I am not too far away from you. I am in Guthrie. The truck I am taking parts from is in Kingfisher.

Also, if you need a good deal on a 13 inch clutch, pp, release bearing and pilot bearing, I have a complete set up. Clutch & PP were professionally rebuilt. The bearings are brand new. No Chinese junk (allowed to say that here, right?)
Hell I was just in Kingfisher yesterday. What all are you not using off of your parts rig?
Old 10-27-2016, 04:36 PM   #14
LynnB

It isn't my parts rig, just a truck being parted out. Not much left. Will send you a pm with the contact number for the guy parting it out.

Lynn
LynnB is offline   Reply With Quote