The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2016, 06:02 PM   #1
Guyz55

Tear down

I own a 1955 chevy 3100....I am looking for some help ( you tube videos etc) on how do ....

1). Remove the bed from the frame

2). Remove the inner and outer front fenders

3). Remove the engine and transmission

4). Re Wiring the entire truck

If anyone know of any resources where I could get detailed instructions ....videos,books, your own experiences would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
Guyz55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:09 PM   #2
yossarian19

Re: Tear down

Not to be a smartass but look for the bolts / nuts attaching each component, remove those, find some way to lift the thing off of / out of the frame. Done.
That said...
Oldcarmanualproject.com has the original shop manuals for all of this and lots of our build threads have helpful pictures / how-to stuff.
Removing the bed, crawl under the back of the truck with a 9/16 wrench in one hand and a flashlight in the other. Remove the 8 nuts holding the bed to the frame. Lift the bed off.
Engine / trans... do you have an engine hoist? If not, you'll need to buy one.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:38 PM   #3
Joe Pass

Get a copy of this reference book....it will give you a oversight and or encouragement to tackle the restoration...https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hpb-hp1534/overview/
I referred to it in the beginning of my 56 build 20+ years ago
Joe
Joe Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 11:25 PM   #4
Az. Hank

Also read a ton of the build threads here. There is some great fabrication going on here.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:36 AM   #5
BIGglaSS

I don't have any trouble removing that stuff. It's remembering how to put it back together that trips me up.
BIGglaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:26 AM   #6
hogfarm

I had a simular problem when I bought my 54.Needed to start with the bed,my truck was an uncompleted project,could not get bolts out of the bed without removing the gas tank,could not remove gas tank till bed was removed.Ended up cutting heads off bed bolts,then welding nuts on frame for reassembly using 3/8"x 3 1/2" long stainless button head allen head bolts
hogfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:44 AM   #7
dsraven

before you start dissassembly take lots of pics so you can reference them later. when you take stuff apart do the same. put them on a memory stick and rename them as you go so they are not just a numbered pic. put them in named folders like "front fender", "hood and hinges", stuff that is easy to find later when you don't want to spend hours browsing. this will help alot when it comes to mock up or assembly time. an assembly manual would help as well,at that point. it shows how the little stuff fits right down to fasteners and clamps.
good luck,have fun, post pics.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 11:45 AM   #8
1project2many

Quote:
I don't have any trouble removing that stuff. It's remembering how to put it back together that trips me up.
Lots of folks have this trouble. It even happens to pros. There are plenty of vehicles driving around today with wrong or missing fasteners. One method to keep track of parts is to use a *lot* of containers to put small pieces in. Bed, RH mounting. Bed, LH mounting. Bed, tailgate. Bed, tire carrier, etc. might be labels found on cups or boxes which contain the fasteners and goodies removed during disassembly. It might seem like a waste to have so many small containers but it really helps during reassembly. First, each task seems so much smaller when you don't have to sort through a huge pile of bolts. Second, when faced with many fasteners which seem the same but have small differences like length, there's less chance of getting them mixed with other parts. Third, it reduces the chance that you'll rob a bolt or part that belongs somewhere else because it could replace one that's damaged or missing. And fourth, for me, as I go through the cups getting bolts out I often end up remembering that part of disassembly more clearly. Another way that I like, for pieces with fewer fasteners to hold them in, is to place fasteners in a bag or envelope, mark the bag, then tape it to the part. This works great for parts like the strip above the door glass and the screws that hold the visor in. When you dig out the part the fasteners are with it or close by. No extra searching needed.

Good luck.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 11:59 AM   #9
_Ogre

realistically these trucks can be disassembled with the most basic tools
90% of the bolts are 1/2'' and 9/16 with a smattering of other sizes
i just throw all the bolts together, if getting it back together is an issue look at the factory assembly manual
the fam is available at most vendors

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 12:29 PM   #10
1958Warrior

Yes, take lots of pics, and get some Gallon, quart,sandwich size ziplock bags ,zip ties and tags a sharpie and a paint marker, label the bags and insert a paper tag inside the bag as well. larger items you can mark with the paint marker and a tag.
Number your bed supports,note spacing, take many pics of your e-brake springs brackets ect.
Label the outside of your storage boxes as well, with what is in ea. bag .
Wouldn't hurt to take pics of whats in ea box. a lot easier to look on the computer to see what you have and where it is than dig in the garage at 2am..

Most of the nuts and bolts will be trashed for new ones , I wouldn't worry about saving the clutch head screws ...(what that???) they were designed by the devil to get us all cussing and pissed off.replace with new hex head and be happy.
1958Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 01:11 PM   #11
dsraven

what I have doe in the past, with some motorcycles and different things that have several different length bolts or some other oddity, is use some thin tie wire to hold the bolts in the holes they came out of. I assemble the multiple layers of things-loosely- with the bolts for that series of parts, even putting a spare nut from the bolt bin on the end sometimes if multiple layers look like they could easily fall apart in the box.then, when that box or bag or bin of parts comes out to be cleaned and get ready for assembly, you can easily see what went where. sometimes it can be years (right now my truck has been apart for 7 yrs) before you will look at those parts again. even if you plan on replacing the fasteners, you have a starting point.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 01:56 PM   #12
mr48chev

As the others said they aren't that hard to take apart but sometimes you need to make sure you don't damage something when taking it apart.

From past experiences of having to figure out what size bolt goes there with what thread and how long does it have to be I'd save just about every bolt, screw and nut I took off just for reference, photographing, bagging and labeling them and tagging the photos in an album. You might want to start a Photobucket album just for the build that you can keep private if you want with separate albums on each section of the truck that you can add to as you go. That way you can have the photos organized with Tags on them to go back to and not have to scroll though hundreds of photos trying to find one.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:55 PM   #13
OrrieG

Haven't posted this in a while.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote