The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2016, 10:31 AM   #1
GAc10boy

flashed '72 c10 swb

Visited with flashed (john) yesterday in Waleska (GA) and snapped a few pics of the outside of his '72. As many of you know, John has had a lot of time lately to drive his recently restored truck. I'll get some better pics of the interior next time i go up but wanted to share the few I snapped.

This truck is really a nice build! Love those white bumpers. A little bit about the history of the truck from John before and during the restoration (from his responses below):

"...It looks a lot like it would have way back when it was new with a few add ons and changes here and there .This was originally a stripper truck when new with a 6 cylinder engine and automatic trans and AM radio ,Medium Red w/ White bumpers .I saved the original glove box door with the original spid on it.When I bought the old truck it was pretty rough but drivable with a 350w/hot cam ,ugly 10" wide wheels all around ,lowered by heating the coils ,black diamond tuck interior w/red piping all over ,door panels ,headliner ,gas tank and seats .It did come with its original carpet ,what color I cant tell you as it was rotten and dirty .It had the usual rust spots as most do but it was a factory short bed which was one of my wants as well as the auto trans .It took about 5 years to build (Not By Me) ,as I knew what I wanted but dont have the talent to do.I wanted it stock ride height ,look almost factory original with minor changes .We put a radio delete plate in as the old AM radio was long gone .I was given(FREE) a set of nice Buddy Buckets which I had recovered in black cloth ,I wanted a tinted back slider window ,a vinyl mat on the floor as I did plan on driving this truck and got a rebuilt GM truck tilt column. A friend of mine in Ireland knew I wanted a Chevelle steering wheel on that column and he sent me the one from his 72 SS Chevelle which I treasure ,thanks Liam.

It has L.E.D. turn signals front and rear and SOKY Classic's Euro side marker lights and that is about all I can think of right now .The body shop took much longer than it should have to restore the truck but they did it all frame off to all the mechanicals and I kept adding stuff to the list of wants so it was my fault too as they make their living doing regular collision work and restorations as they can .Not to mention Darrell wanted everything on my truck perfect which it was.

Back to the second VintageAir install .It seems we got a bad kit on the first try and Vintage Airs support was not great .They said their units dont go bad and dont sell parts for them.I got my truck back in early spring and my wife and I drove to a swap meet to sell some parts and the heat would not work ,we damn near froze on that cold March morning .Took it back to Darrells shop and he quickly found that the little motors that open the heat blend doors would not open to let the heat into the cab ,the air was very cold .Vintage air was no help so I called on NsaneHotrods to see if he could help .He found the same thing and he installed a second VintageAir system with working heat .My truck may not be what a lot of you guys would have built but this one is mine and built the way I wanted it .My wife kept telling me that I would probably never do another one and that I needed to have it done exactly how I wanted it .She even had me sell off her 68 Malibu project hotrod to do this truck but she has her 72 Malibu Convertible we did HER way.

By the way ,when I first bought this truck in North Carolina thanks to another friend up there that knew of this truck ,it was very faded and rusty looking .My wife names all our toys and she named this one Faded Glory due to faded paint and rust ,she now calls her Glory .I now have a new 1972 Chevy Truck built my way .Im sure there are a few things I missed along the way here."

UNITED BY TRUCKS - classic truck video content
YouTube: www.youtube.com/c/unitedbytrucks
Instagram: @united_by_trucks
Paw Paw '68 508 Dark Blue Custom C10
Teddy '68 GMC SWB 503 Light Green LS Build
Mississippi Mud '75 Skyline Blue Patina SBC Build

Last edited by GAc10boy; 05-30-2016 at 01:07 PM.
GAc10boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:05 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: flashed '72 c10 swb

-
Yup, I like it...... Nice & clean.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:16 PM   #3
72 Super

Very well done. The white bumpers go well on this truck.

Ray
Old 05-19-2016, 12:41 PM   #4
flashed

Thanks guys ,It looks a lot like it would have way back when it was new with a few add ons and changes here and there .This was originally a stripper truck when new with a 6 cylinder engine and automatic trans and AM radio ,Medium Red w/ White bumpers .I saved the original glove box door with the original spid on it.When I bought the old truck it was pretty rough but drivable with a 350w/hot cam ,ugly 10" wide wheels all around ,lowered by heating the coils ,black diamond tuck interior w/red piping all over ,door panels ,headliner ,gas tank and seats .It did come with its original carpet ,what color I cant tell you as it was rotten and dirty .It had the usual rust spots as most do but it was a factory short bed which was one of my wants as well as the auto trans .It took about 5 years to build (Not By Me) ,as I knew what I wanted but dont have the talent to do.I wanted it stock ride height ,look almost factory original with minor changes .We put a radio delete plate in as the old AM radio was long gone .I was given(FREE) a set of nice BuddyBuckets which I had recovered in black cloth ,I wanted a tinted back slider window ,a vinyl mat on the floor as I did plan on driving this truck and got a rebuilt GM truck tilt
colomn .A friend of mine in Ireland knew I wanted a Chevelle steering wheel on that column and he sent me the one from his 72 SS Chevelle which I treasure ,thanks Liam.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:52 PM   #5
flashed

As for the stereo system I wanted it hidden which is where the BuddyBuckets come back into play .The simple AM/FM/CD player was mounted inside the BuddyBucket storage console and speakers under the seat .Hidden power antenna in the driver side front stake pocket behing the inbed spare tire holder .The inside looks plain and simple .We added Vintage Air(Twice) ,will go into that later ,using the original heater control.The truck is powered by a stock 350 crate motor with a rebuilt 350 trans and original rear end.It had stock steel wheels (off my 74) with various different hubcaps before restoration as I had a set of 8"rallys and new tires waiting for after paint .The inside floor ,and bottom of cab were bedlined to help prevent future rust ,truck was rewired from front to rear as the old harness was in bad shape .
Old 05-19-2016, 12:52 PM   #6
GAc10boy

So cool, John. I've heard some of that story but not all. Very cool the stories these trucks tell before any sort of restoration but even as they are being restored and after.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:58 PM   #7
flashed

It has L.E.D. turn signals front and rear and SOKY Classic's Euro side marker lights and that is about all I can think of right now .The body shop took much longer than it should have to restore the truck but they did it all frame off to all the mechanicals and I kept adding stuff to the list of wants so it was my fault too as they make their living doing regular collision work and restorations as they can .Not to mention Darrell wanted everything on my truck perfect which it was.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:10 PM   #8
flashed

Back to the second VintageAir install .It seems we got a bad kit on the first try and Vintage Airs support was not great .They said their units dont go bad and dont sell parts for them.I got my truck back in early spring and my wife and I drove to a swap meet to sell some parts and the heat would not work ,we damn near froze on that cold March morning .Took it back to Darrells shop and he quickly found that the little motors that open the heat blend doors would not open to let the heat into the cab ,the air was very cold .Vintage air was no help so I called on NsaneHotrods to see if he could help .He found the same thing and he installed a second VintageAir system with working heat .My truck may not be what a lot of you guys would have built but this one is mine and built the way I wanted it .My wife kept telling me that I would probably never do another one and that I needed to have it done exactly how I wanted it .She even had me sell off her 68 Malibu project hotrod to do this truck but she has her 72 Malibu Convertible we did HER way .
Old 05-19-2016, 01:16 PM   #9
flashed

Robbie ,I didnt realize we were posting at the same time ,thankyou for starting this thread .While Im healing from my back surgery this truck is getting the miles put on her .By the way ,when I first bought this truck in North Carolina thanks to another friend up there that knew of this truck ,it was very faded and rusty looking .My wife names all our toys and she named this one Faded Glory due to faded paint and rust ,she now calls her Glory .I now have a new 1972 Chevy Truck built my way .Im sure there are a few things I missed along the way here .
Old 05-19-2016, 03:01 PM   #10
GAc10boy

No problem, John. I plan to get some much better pictures next time I'm up so I can update this thread. I just decided to snap a few spontaneously and will plan better next time.

This truck deserves to be seen!

Old 05-19-2016, 03:19 PM   #11
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

It looks awesome...

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:11 PM   #12
GAc10boy

Visited with flashed again yesterday and snapped a few more pics of his '72 so I updated the original post with a few more pictures. flashed has given me a disk with a bunch of pics of the truck when he purchased it. I'm hoping to get those posted soon.

Last edited by GAc10boy; 05-30-2016 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:25 PM   #13
flashed

Robbie ,thanks for the picture posting again and thanks for moving things around for me in my shop so that I can get the El Camino out and about .It's always good to see you and the new old truck as well.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:47 PM   #14
davischevy

I love your truck, flashed.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:42 PM   #15
flashed

Thanks ,I have really enjoyed putting the miles on it the last 3 weeks .
Old 05-30-2016, 08:50 PM   #16
jamie72

very nice..i just started building my 72 "my way" also...

member #807

http://www.myspace.com/whitetailobsession
www.antlertalk.com
jamie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:29 PM   #17
GAc10boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Robbie ,thanks for the picture posting again and thanks for moving things around for me in my shop so that I can get the El Camino out and about .It's always good to see you and the new old truck as well.
No problem at all, John. Thanks for all you do for me. Glad to see you doing so well.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:52 PM   #18
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Flashes not flashy truck ... I like it!
Old 05-30-2016, 11:19 PM   #19
special-K
Special Order

I really like the li'l red pickup. I'm lucky enough to have a picture of it on the wall in front of me. Thanks!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:02 AM   #20
flashed

Tim, Im trying to decide what the next Christmas card will be ,could be the truck in a different pose.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:37 PM   #21
flashed

To the top for a friend to see .
Old 10-31-2016, 09:23 AM   #22
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Tim, Im trying to decide what the next Christmas card will be ,could be the truck in a different pose.
I think a different pose or location every year is a good theme

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:49 AM   #23
flashed

I have a different picture but not sure if Im doing cards this year ,we shall see.