The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2016, 04:12 PM   #1
yossarian19

1/4" Rubber floor mat?

I'm patchin / finishing the floor in the truck. At first I was thinking black carpet, then I saw rubber floor mats.. Now I'm thinking 1/4" industrial rubber mat would be kinda cool, utilitarian anyway.
I already put down some tar-like sound deadening + 1/4" reflective insulation.
Anyone have input on this? Any pros / cons I'm not thinking of with rubber truck flooring?
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 04:28 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: 1/4" Rubber floor mat?

It sounds like you are looking at the rubber floor runner stuff that they cut off a roll at what ever length you ask for'

I found 1/8 inch that you can order in 5 or 6 ft lengths by selecting the right size. https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Cal-Tu...005SUIYAA?th=1

Lowes has rubber shop runners by the foot but I don't know the cost or

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 12:29 AM   #3
1project2many

1/4" mat might be a little tough to get into place. Any textured or patterned mat will look like it was cut from a larger piece because the texture will continue from one end of the mat to the other... no breaks or changes like OEM style mats. But it should look presentable if cut properly. Have you thought about what your doing for the firewall liner?
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 01:37 PM   #4
yossarian19

Hmm. I was thinking "thicker is better" but when I get to the hump in the firewall that definitely won't be true. I'll probably buy the 1/8" sheet from amazon and see how it goes. I don't need show quality fit and finish from this truck, just "serviceable"
As for the firewall... I'm not looking forward to moving things out of the way and cutting around all the junk up there but I plan on buying some of the heavier sound deadening sheets I can find and then gluing 1/4" reflective insulation on top of that, maybe skin it with something black (more rubber sheet?) if I can make it all hang properly. I think I already sealed up a bunch of the factory firewall pad mounting holes.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:32 AM   #5
SideStepper

I originally had brought a "off the shelf" thin mat from a major aftermarket supplier that rotted into small pieces in no time.

So, I also was looking for a new functional heavy rubber floor mat, that would act as a sound deadener/insulator. I purchased a truck bed rubber mat (4'x8') & cut it to fit into the cab. It covers the floor under the seat all the way to the fire wall. It is the ultimate heavy duty rubber floor mat. I first made a paper template of the cab floor & used a box cutter knife with a bit of muscle to cut it to fit. The truck bed mat cost only about $100.
SideStepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:13 PM   #6
OrrieG

Based on your profile I suspect you might have a farm or tack store near you. Take a look at floor matting for horse trailers. I do not know if it comes in 1/4, but it does come in roll stock. If not they might have some other lighter material for tractor and truck floors too. And the cost will be at farm prices not specialty auto parts prices. Before this build I used commercial door mat material that had some padding on the back, cut to fit, that I got from a commercial cleaner friend.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:05 PM   #7
1project2many

They must have made replacement rubber parts better 20 years ago. Almost all of the rubber components I purchased are still good. Orrie's horse trailer mat sounds like a very durable idea. I saw some heavy rubber mat in the post office the other day that would be tough, too. Watch out around the throttle if you're using a stock pedal as the backing/thick mat stackup could get too tall to allow the pedal to fit easily. And make sure you have a good plan for making the cuts.

I used a piece of linoleum to build my firewall liner. I glued the shiny "up" side to a heat reflective jute backing material then painted the "down" side flat black. Some of the cables and most of the wires were already in place so I worked carefully to cut the new liner to allow it to work into place with the black side showing. Most folks think it looks like the original material.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote