The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2004, 07:13 PM   #1
TooMany2count
Who's in CHARGE??????????

need help lowwering & narrowing a cross member

using a 87 burb frame under a project & wanted to know if anyone can notch & narrow a front X-member for me???? any help would be great...thanks...joe
Donate Blood,Plasma,Platelets & sign your DONORS CARD & SAVE a LIFE

Last edited by TooMany2count; 03-23-2004 at 07:52 PM.
TooMany2count is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 08:07 PM   #2
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

I can if you give me the dimensions and send the crossmember. Why are you wanting to narrow it though?
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 11:50 PM   #3
TooMany2count

have been told that using a late model frame like I'm using under my 48 panel/school bus that the wheels will stick out, thats why I want it narrowed & I want it notched so it will be dropped w/o using dropped spindles & shortened springs. I have seen the cross member notched before so the trucks are lowwer w/o those things... so whats your take on this & didn't you notch a X-member too????.. thanks...joe
Old 03-24-2004, 12:28 AM   #4
SCOTI

What are you going to do about the steering if you shorten the crossmember (since now all steering input points are moved in as well)?

If you say 'switch to a rack', why not just use a MII based kit w/a narrower track width as it is?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 12:52 AM   #5
TooMany2count

Quote:
What are you going to do about the steering if you shorten the crossmember (since now all steering input points are moved in as well)?
this maybe true BUT since I only want a total of 4 inches remove this wont cause a problem, since there's lots of adjustment on everything w/threads & if I still need more removed then I'll have the center link shortened or go on a search at the bone yard & the parts store & see what I can come up with..

Quote:
If you say 'switch to a rack', why not just use a MII based kit w/a narrower track width as it is?
cause the stock frame is GONE & was wayyyyyyyyyyy to heavy for a M2 to use it, got to remember this is a 3800 series panel truck & it will be used for not only cruz'n but also for hauling a trailor........joe
Old 03-24-2004, 01:10 AM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally posted by SCOTI
.... why not just use a MII based kit...
I didn't say MII, I said MII based.... as in HD but using MII geometry. No Limit, Jim Meyer, RB's Obsolete all offer HD MII based suspensions (RB's offers one based on B-body caprice stuff).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 01:27 AM   #7
TooMany2count

I know those folks make great kits, but for what I need it would cost me over $2500 for just about everything & since we are a basicly one income family that would be making things a tad tight & would take a while to save the $$$$$$$. So i bought the 87 Burb w/a low mileage 350/700r4 combo, the body is rusted out but it runs great. I figger I'd use the 87 frame & other stuff then sell a few parts cheap enuff to help recoup the cost of the truck. That way everyones happy, people get good parts cheap & I get to recoup some of my $$$$$$$$$$ and that makes everyone happy.....joe
Old 03-24-2004, 01:33 AM   #8
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Yes I have notched a couple of them. It is posted on my site in the how to section. The problem is, you want to narrow the crossmember, but what are you going to do about the frame? It will still be the full width.

Have you though about using an extra 2" of backspacing on the rims?
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Old 03-24-2004, 01:39 AM   #9
TooMany2count

Quote:
Originally posted by Captkaos
Yes I have notched a couple of them. It is posted on my site in the how to section. The problem is, you want to narrow the crossmember, but what are you going to do about the frame? It will still be the full width.

Have you though about using an extra 2" of backspacing on the rims?

hell there's about 2inches or more of alignment shims on each side so I figgered it can come out of there & I could use a different back spacing BUT the rims are already about one inch from the tie rod ends & that would mean 6inch rims in the front, unless someone can give me some more hints on what to do here.....joe
Old 03-24-2004, 01:49 AM   #10
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

You need those shims for alignment purposes. It will only change the location of the UPPER control arm. The lower has no adjustments.

My suggestion is if the old truck is still mobile and has a frontend under it, measure the track (wheel mounting face to wheel mounting face) and compare it to the Burb setup.

The Burb most likely has 8" rims with 4" of backspacing, you could technically go with 8" rims with 6" of backspacing, BUT, I would start at the measuring point.

As for the cost, think about it this way this is what steers, brakes, suspends etc the truck. It isn't anything you want to cut corners on.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Old 03-24-2004, 02:25 AM   #11
TooMany2count

Quote:
Originally posted by Captkaos
You need those shims for alignment purposes. It will only change the location of the UPPER control arm. The lower has no adjustments. yes I know that, but if you narrow the X-member you should still be able to align it as long as you dont take out toooo much

My suggestion is if the old truck is still mobile and has a frontend under it, measure the track (wheel mounting face to wheel mounting face) and compare it to the Burb setup. stock frame is gone & even if I did have it the was NO front suspension

The Burb most likely has 8" rims with 4" of backspacing, you could technically go with 8" rims with 6" of backspacing, BUT, I would start at the measuring point.have to double check this

As for the cost, think about it this way this is what steers, brakes, suspends etc the truck. It isn't anything you want to cut corners on.
not cutting corners, thats why I ask LOTSSSSSSSSS of Questions before I do anything, hell maybe I'll either widen the fenders or just find some 1 1/2 - 2 ton truck fenders & hood, cause if I'm not mistaken they are wider then the 1/2 - 1ton fenders
Old 03-24-2004, 02:34 AM   #12
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Quote:
Originally posted by TooMany2count
not cutting corners, thats why I ask LOTSSSSSSSSS of Questions before I do anything, hell maybe I'll either widen the fenders or just find some 1 1/2 - 2 ton truck fenders & hood, cause if I'm not mistaken they are wider then the 1/2 - 1ton fenders

You need those shims for alignment purposes. It will only change the location of the UPPER control arm. The lower has no adjustments. yes I know that, but if you narrow the X-member you should still be able to align it as long as you dont take out toooo much
You took that cutting cost thing wrong I believe, but I think you knew what I was trying to say..

As for narrowing the crossmember. THIS is where the problem is. If you narrow it (which is definitly possible) you Cannot use the burb frame because the crossmember won't bolt back up.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com