The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2016, 03:59 PM   #1
Montagne

turns over but won't crank

Ok, Ill start with a little back ground. When I got the truck it would crank but when i gave it gas it would bog down and die. I have drained the tank, replaced the fuel pump, and replaced the fuel filter. Now she turns over but will not fire. I have checked to make sure the pump is receiving and sending gas and it appears to be working just fine. What am I missing?
Montagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 04:54 PM   #2
Willie 66

Re: turns over but won't crank

I think most of the time, starting problems deal with timing. My problem was a lot like yours - it would fire a few times but never actually start. Turned out to be way retarded timing. Also check spark and compression. Harbor Freight has some cheap tools for garage hobbyists like me that do this stuff once every 26 years.
Willie 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:10 PM   #3
leonphelps

buy a spark tester at harbor freight. $7. Remove a plug wire, install tester, crank and look for it to glow. It will tell you if there is spark. You need spark, compression and fuel.

Also, did you smell the fuel? Stale gas will not fire.
leonphelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:27 PM   #4
Brad54

Actually, you don't need to buy a tool to check for spark: Just pull a plug, and with the plug wire still on it, hold the threaded part of the plug to the exhaust manifold and crank the engine--if you see a spark, you've got spark. If not, you know where your problem probably is.

I always put an inline glass fuel filter between the fuel pump and the carb, as a diagnostic tool for the inevitable "damn, why won't it run now?!" It immediately eliminates (or confirms!) one problem.

This sounds like an over-simplification of things, but it's not:
An engine needs fuel, compression, spark and timing. If it has those four things, it can't help but run... it has no choice. So if it isn't running, you only have to check four things.
An old man told me that.
He also told me "90-percent of all fuel problems are electrical." And I have yet to prove him wrong, on either.

-Brad

There's no cool like Old School
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 11:44 PM   #5
Slow Build

Have you tried starter fluid? That will give you an idea if it's a fuel problem.
Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside
1968 GMC short stepside-4x4
1973 Chevy short stepside
1989 Chevy short fleetside-reg cab
1993 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab
2002 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab

Save the dinosaurs, use synthetic oil.
Slow Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:11 PM   #6
urmyboyblue

Check for spark- it it hasn't been tuned up recently, replace the cap and rotor (and points if it has them. Also new plugs and wires won't hurt.

Turn the engine over and see where the timing is at. Static- set it for around 4 degrees to get it to crank.

Check for fuel at the carb (loosen the line and crank the engine over to see if fuel comes out)- some carbs have a fuel filter built into them where the fuel line connects, clean it if there is one and you haven't.

If fuel is getting to the carb, look down the throat of the carb without the engine running and pump the throttle with your hand. You should see gas entering the carb. If not, either the carb is not getting gas or the accelerator pump is bad. It is also possible that the carb needs rebuilding- some gaskets may have shrunk and allows gas to run into the intake- emptying the fuel bowl and depriving the accelerator pump of having fuel to spray into the engine.

Check the choke- see if it is working.

The problem is probably ignition or fuel. However, check to see if the distributor is turning as well. If you broke a cam or timing chain, it won't turn and nothing will crank.
urmyboyblue is offline   Reply With Quote